Spouse to Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to bring your spouse on your Emergency Medicine residency interview trip? Obviously not to the actual interview day, but to social events before/after? I thought it would be wise to bring my wife to look at housing options in the area, but was wondering what types of interview activities she may be welcome at.

Any first-hand advice is appreciated!

-Scott

Members don't see this ad.

We've had it happen many times this year - nothing wrong at all...I think it's a good chance to see if your spouse can tolerate your possible future colleagues. Also, several of our married residents bring their spouses along, so there's a little camaraderie.

stw2361 said:
Is it appropriate to bring your spouse on your Emergency Medicine residency interview trip? Obviously not to the actual interview day, but to social events before/after? I thought it would be wise to bring my wife to look at housing options in the area, but was wondering what types of interview activities she may be welcome at.

Any first-hand advice is appreciated!

-Scott

I brought my spouse to every interview that gave invitations for spouses to pre-interview dinners, etc. Some interview days (i.e., Kalamazoo) really cater to spouses. To be honest, it did really influence my final ROL.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely bring your spouse to visit any city/program that you are considering seriously...bring them to the socials as well; they should meet your future colleagues too...programs actually like to hear that you are interested enough to bring your spouse along, although many people work and it obviously is not always feasible...

I have brought my girlfriend to several pre-interview dinners...it was encouraged at all of them.

I also brought my girlfriend with me to a second look reciently. The attending I was hanging out with encouraged me to bring my GF back into the ED to have a look around.

I brought my spouse to meet with the program directors of my top choices. Her instinct played a big role in my ROL, and as it turns out - she was right!