SRS and refractory depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Functional SRS is definitely not for wimps - per the supplementary materials they treated 140 Gy in a single fraction!

I treat AVMs and TGN all the time with SRS, but that's because they are well-validated and covered by insurance. I'm very interested in other functional treatments and believe they have the potential to modestly expand our repertoire. However, we need more data and Medicare needs to cover it. I hope that day comes.

Reactions: 3 users
Rad onc needs to be exploring low dose RT for Alzheimers

The data look good and some of the anecdotes are incredible

The number of people diagnosed with Alzheimers per year equal the number of new breast and prostate cancer cases combined

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like the trial from Beaumont is currently suspended due to lack of funding.

Rad onc needs to be exploring low dose RT for Alzheimers

The data look good and some of the anecdotes are incredible

The number of people diagnosed with Alzheimers per year equal the number of new breast and prostate cancer cases combined

• Dislike
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I'm wary of a lot of this, BUT am SUPER supportive of trying on trial. Much respect to those who try, but wonder how many failures will make radiation look like a bad idea. I won't lie it is worrisome to low dose Alzheimer's patients, but that's why we try I suppose. Can you link data?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm wary of a lot of this, BUT am SUPER supportive of trying on trial. Much respect to those who try, but wonder how many failures will make radiation look like a bad idea. I won't lie it is worrisome to low dose Alzheimer's patients, but that's why we try I suppose. Can you link data?

Looks like the trial from Beaumont is currently suspended due to lack of funding.

The prognosis for AD is so dismal, and the # of treatments so lacking, I’m surprised there isn’t more support to complete a trial.

Maybe the Germans will get it done.

The Europeans have more avenues to do trials like this seems like. The US is too dependent on pharma money for trial funding

Alzheimers is really a huge unmet need, several times larger than cancer, "The Next Pandemic," as one recent article called it.

Good animal data and case reports but no US center has yet to successfully accrue. Would need a solid network effort.

Reactions: 1 user
Alzheimers is really a huge unmet need, several times larger than cancer, "The Next Pandemic," as one recent article called it.

Good animal data and case reports but no US center has yet to successfully accrue. Would need a solid network effort.
Xrt would be cheaper than the non therapy the FDA approved recently

Xrt would be cheaper than the non therapy the FDA approved recently
And if XRT were a drug and given its preclinical promise, pharma would have a billion dollar investment (minimum) in it right now.

(Still expect some leading rad oncs to write an editorial about second cancer risks in 80 year olds getting Alzheimer’s RT.)

Last edited:
And if XRT were a drug and given its preclinical promise, pharma would have a billion dollar investment (minimum) in investing in it right now.

(Still expect some leading rad oncs to write an editorial about second cancer risks in 80 year olds getting Alzheimer’s RT.)

Trust me some junior RO faculty is writing that editorial for the RJ as we speak thinking that the tenure committee will count it as a pub! Maybe they’ll even sweeten the pot and put some other faculty members on it for little more than glancing at the pdf they’ll attach to some desperate email at 1am in the morning. Mom and dad must be so proud.

Last edited by a moderator: