St. Matthew's University - Grand Cayman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smuvetmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Valerie and I am a 4th semester at St. Matthew’s University School of Veterinary Medicine in Grand Cayman. If anyone has any questions about applying to SMU, academic course load, or island life, please let me know. I would be more than happy to answer them. :)

http://www.stmatthews.edu/school-of-veterinary-medicine.shtml

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think you could give us a Pros and Cons list for St. Mathews? That would be great! Thank you.

Sure thing! Lots of Pros here... I love the location compared to the other island schools. I'm 1 hour away from Miami and 2.5 hours away from Houston, so if I had to get home (to Oklahoma) for an emergency, I could do it very quickly. There are also other direct flights from Cayman thru out the US and Canada.

I really like the small class sizes and one on one attention you can get from instructors if needed. They all have an open door policy and are more than willing to help you or answer questions. There is also a TA (tutor) for each class that holds review sessions before exams. Those have saved my butt in the past hahaha.

We do three semesters in a year instead of just two. We have breaks between each semester that are 3-4 weeks but we do go to school year around. That means you'll actually get done with school faster than people in the states. You spend 7 semesters (2 years and 4 months) down on the island and then you go to clinicals somewhere in the states for one year. I believe we have about 10 schools on the list right now to pick for clinicals.

I would consider the island VERY safe compared to other Caribbean islands. I've been to a handful of other islands and Grand Cayman is by far the most "Americanized." Because the banking industry is so big down here there are a lot of ex-pats (ex-patriots...non-locals) working on island. So you have a lot of people from the UK, Canada, South Africa, Australia, and the US here. The roads and traffic are also much better than other islands I've been on.

Cons? Not AVMA accredited yet. :( But, they are definitely working on it. We just got a new Dean in this semester and she's very proactive and making a lot of good changes for the school. We're also getting new permanent/adjunct faculty in which is great. SMU has only been around for 6-7 years and if we keep progressing like this, I think we'll get accreditation soon. Since we're not AVMA accredited yet, that means you either have to take the PAVE or the ECFVG depending on what state you want to practice in back home.

SMU campus is kind of split up and it's not all on one property. We have our classes on our main campus, and the Residence Halls/Suites are both located 1-1.5 miles away from main campus. Our clinical training facility (CTF) is located by the department of agriculture about 20 minutes away. That's where we have many of our labs. SMU provides transportation out to the CTF for students that need it so that's not a problem. There are always buses you can take to school and most students have cars to get around. It's not a huge con, but more of a convenience issue. SMU also has plans to build their own campus with everything at one place, but that's still in the works.

Grand Cayman is a bit more expensive to live on compared to other islands. The exchange rate from US to CI is set at 82cents to 1 dollar, so the US dollar is actually worth a little less. Total bummer. But you get used to it when shopping and what not.

That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone has anymore questions or concerns, let me know!

-V-

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions about SMU for you =)

I was recently accepted and should begin this August, but I'm nervous to make the commitment to go there because I literally know nothing about the school. Their website doesn't say a whole lot haha. I know someone who goes there now, and she said going there was the best decision she's ever made, so that's what made me want to apply initially.

Does anyone bring dogs or other pets with them their first semester? I asked this question during my interview and didn't get a very positive response about bringing animals down in general. In relation to that, do you think I'd have a difficult time meeting people if I didn't live in the residence halls first semester? I don't want to be the only person in my class that doesn't live in the residence halls hah. I don't like that SMU doesn't have a FB group or anything where I can get to know my future classmates before heading down to the island.

Your previous post was definitely very helpful!! Thanks for posting =)

First off, congrats on getting accepted! :) Funny you should mention the website...administration is actually having a meeting about revamping the website tomorrow haha! A few of the students suggested it needed a (major) face lift, so they're on it.

I know of many students who brought down pets to the island. It's not that hard to do, it just takes a little leg work and a little extra money to do so. You need to contact the Department of Agriculture of Grand Cayman and they will tell you what you need to do. I haven't personally brought any animals down (I decided to adopt one from here) but my friends have. If you would like to talk to a student who has brought animals down, I can give you their contact information. Some students bring their pets down right away and some wait a semester to get settled before they bring them down. The residence hall does NOT allow any pets, but the residence suites does.

Don't worry about making friends. You will meet tons of people no matter where you live. :) I currently live in the suites, but am moving out next semester. You can find a lot of places that are nicer for the same price, or a little more. Many students live in the halls/suites their first semester and that gives them enough time to find another place off campus without rushing. I can recommend some places to live off campus that are affordable and safe.

SMU actually does have several facebook groups that I know of. Some people have started groups just for their class. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

I would be more than happy to chat with you sometime if you'd like. Shoot me an email and I'll give you my skype information. Hope this was helpful! :)

Hello, my name is Valerie and I am a 4th semester at St. Matthew’s University School of Veterinary Medicine in Grand Cayman. If anyone has any questions about applying to SMU, academic course load, or island life, please let me know. I would be more than happy to answer them. :)

http://www.stmatthews.edu/school-of-veterinary-medicine.shtml

Is tuition 27K total per semester, or 10K/17K depending on what you're doing that year? Can you just break down the total cost for me over the 3 years, that'd be awesome?

Hey there,

I have several questions for you...

1) I definitely like the location of SMU compared to the other schools. I did a quick search on flights and flights from Grand Cayman are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of flights from SGU or Ross. However, how is the campus? From the photos I have seen, SMU campus just seems less nice and somewhat old compared to the SGU and Ross.

2) How much of a pain is it to take the additional board exam? It seems like it is just that one test but are there any other loopholes I have to watch out for or hoops I would have to jump over.

3) I'd like to know if anyone brought their significant other to the island. I've been with my boyfriend for four years and if I go to the Caribbean he would like to come with me. However, I'm worried about how visas would work and if he'd be able to find some sort of employment.

4) What are the statistics (gpa, GRE, etc.) for each group admitted? I couldn't find those anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time!

I remember someone talking about SMU grads not being eligible to get a medical license in several American states.

I'm curious about the validity of that.

Whats the scoop?

Boophilus,

Awesome username by the way haha. I'm paying a little over $11,000US a semester in tuition and $5,000US a semester to live at the Residence Suites. If you live off campus it can be less or a little more depending on where you live. That's not counting how much I spend on food and gas for my car. All bills are included on all campus housing which is nice.

When you go to the states to do your clinical year, you will still pay SMU tuition for 3 semesters. Newly added schools Georgia and Washington State have a slightly higher tuition rate. I can double check on that price if you need it. If you have any other questions, let me know! :)

-V-

LSUVetHopeful,

1) Flights are way better, no question. SMU's campus is definitely smaller than SGU and Ross's. SMU vet/med school is located at the Regatta office park in Georgetown. They are newer office buildings and we occupy two of them in the office park. And we have plans to give all the classrooms a face life in the near future. We have a clinical training facility that is 6-7 years old that is located right next to the Department of Agriculture. This is where we have anatomy, pathology, and clinical skills labs and also where our clinical training animals are housed. The CTF is very nice in my opinion and supplies everything we need for those classes. I have taken some pictures of the campus and would be more than happy to email them to you if you'd like. :)

2) Depends on what state you want to practice in. Some are PAVE states, some are ECFVG states, and New York happens to take the NAVLE. Everyone has to take the NAVLE but then you will either take the PAVE or ECFVG. Students can take the PAVE down here their 6th and 7th semesters on island and I believe you take the ECFVG while in clinics but I would have to double check. You also take the NAVLE while in clinics.

3) Absolutely! We have several married couples that moved down together and many significant others that come and stay and/or visit on a regular basis. He can definitely apply for a work visa or might be able to be on your student visa (not sure if you guys aren't married though). A tourist visa lasts a few months so he could come down and search for a job (or start searching now). Basically, I'm almost positive he could be down with you for the entire first semester (4 months) on just a tourist visa. Might want to check with Cayman Immigration on that and if you can't find it, I can get you in touch with someone that has down that.

4) I'll have to check on that for you. Administration just had a meeting today about revamping our website and such. I will send out an email and get that info to you.

If you have any other questions, please let me know! :)

-V-

Boophilus,

Awesome username by the way haha. I'm paying a little over $11,000US a semester in tuition and $5,000US a semester to live at the Residence Suites. If you live off campus it can be less or a little more depending on where you live. That's not counting how much I spend on food and gas for my car. All bills are included on all campus housing which is nice.

When you go to the states to do your clinical year, you will still pay SMU tuition for 3 semesters. Newly added schools Georgia and Washington State have a slightly higher tuition rate. I can double check on that price if you need it. If you have any other questions, let me know! :)

-V-

Haha thanks! Hey sorry but just to be sure, so is it 16K X 10 semesters basically? I thought it was super cheap at first but then I realized even though ur doing it in less time, they sort of screw u over with the extra semester thing. Granted 160K is not bad, total. Clinical year though you're paying 48K even though ur doing a normal 2 semester schedule in the US, right? Ugh.

I personally don't think I will be spending $15,000US in housing my clinical year wherever I do my clinical rotations at. The US always has places that are much cheaper, so that will save you money your last year. Also, you need to keep in mind living expenses. It's going to be cheaper living in the US the last year as well.

I think it all evens out. Since you do 3 semesters in a year, you're getting charged for 3 semesters. Clinical rotations aren't really set on a semester basis, they're set on a rotation basis and how long each rotation lasts. You get a totally of 3-4 weeks time off during your clinical year and it's usually split up, just depends where you are at. But I agree, 160K really isn't that bad considering you're going to school out of the country on a really nice island haha.

-V-

Members don't see this ad :)
Dsmoody23,

Are you talking about veterinary medicine or human medicine? Because if you're talking about human medicine that's an entire different ballgame. As for vet med, if you pass the NAVLE, and/or the PAVE/ECFVG you can practice in any of the states in the U.S. It just depends if they are a PAVE or an ECFVG state. There should be a list on the internet somewhere of what each state accepts and if you can't find it, just contact your state veterinary association, they'll be able to tell you.

As for human medicine, you'd have to check with the med school on that one. I am friends with some of the med students, but couldn't tell you where they can/can't practice. I know they do have to secure a long residency and some states are limited but don't know the specifics. If you have any more questions, let me know. :)

-V-

I sent you a private message on the forums with my email address. :)

Hi ya'll :oops:)

I am interested in St. Matthew's University, but I have a question about living off campus. What are the average prices off campus? How easy is it to find a place that accepts pets and small children. I was reading the website and the residence suites do not accept dogs (according he their website under "facts") and they do not accept small children. I am married, have a 2 year old, and dogs. The whole family would like to come with me if I am accepted and granted there will be a place for ALL of us to live.

Also, what are the class profiles or statistics of accepted students? I am curious, but have not found that information anywhere. I will be applying for the summer 2013 semester. I would like to know where I need to improve before I finalize my application.

Thanks!

icon1.png

Hey UFGatorGirl09!

Actually, The Suites do allow dogs, but if you're wanting to move down with your family I would suggest living off campus. You can get something MUCH nicer for the same price or a little bit more somewhere else.

Average prices depend on what you're looking for to rent. House/apartment and how many bedrooms? The place that I'm moving to next semester has 2 bed 1 bath for $1,200CI a month and you have to pay bills. That's a really good deal in my opinion because it's a brand new apartment complex. Most places here accept dogs and kids so you don't have to worry about that. :)

Another person posted on this thread yesterday wondering what the stats were for accepted students. I sent an email to the Dean of Basic Sciences yesterday and I'm waiting for a reponse. As soon as I get the info I'll post it. :D If you had any questions/concerns about your application or improving your chances I bet I could give you some pointers. Just shoot me a private message with your email and I can send you some links of off campus housing that are popular with the vet and med students. Look forward to talking to you!

-V-

Another question I just thought of...how difficult is it to get student loans for an American citizen? Do you know how most students afford going to school there...loans, savings, ect.? Thanks!

We are in the process of getting loans down at the school right now and that will hopefully happen in the next year. Most students here are on private loans and family financial help from back home. Depending on your age, work history, credit history, etc. you and your husband will probably be able to get some good loans. Depending on the line of work he's in, your husband could also get a work visa and work down here as you're going to school. There are several married couples that do that down here. Hope that helps! :)

-V-

Another question! :D

If I understand correctly, in order to practice vet med in the US after graduating from SMU you must take the PAVE or ECFVG program...correct? I am originally from Florida and would like to go back there and live. When I looked up PAVE approved states Florida wasn't one of them... so I looked up the ECFVG program. It seemed much more complicated. :confused: But if I understood correctly it is accepted in ALL US states...is this true?

Also do you know how much it cost to go through these programs? Do you know how long it takes to complete these tests? Will I be waiting a long time after graduation or will this be something I can do during school so I can start work immediately upon graduation?

Thanks again for all your help! It is much appreciated. :)

I am still in the process of submitting my materials(ie. LOR and photos) and was wondering what financial institutions do people use to get loans? I mean not everyone there can pull a home equity loan or take out a $200k personal loan. St. Matthews is my second choice at the moment only because of the financials. I am also curious, are the class sizes of 15-20 people because of facility size? or is it due to less applicants? Also, does the island support bicycling or is like St. Kitts where you will lose your wheels if you try?

Yes, you have to take the PAVE or the ECFVG if you graduate from a non-AVMA accredited vet school and want to practice in the United States.

I believe if you take the ECFVG you can practice in any state. But if you just take the PAVE, it only covers you for PAVE states. Might want to double check, but I'm almost positive that's how it works. And you also have to take the NAVLE (national boards), but everyone has to take that. And I believe you also have to take state boards as well. Hooraay for tests! ;)

Both the PAVE and the ECFVG are costly. The PAVE right now is around $1,800 a test and the ECFVG is around $7K or $8K a test. You take the PAVE in your 6th or 7th semester on island, take the NAVLE while you're in clinics, and take the ECFVG while you're in clinics or right after graduation.

Hope this helps! :D

-V-

Beezil,

People usually end up taking out personal loans or having family help pay for the schooling. There is a duel degree program where you get a masters degree in business and they pay you to go to school. It's an online program. I would say around half the students here do that program and use the money to help pay for their schooling.

We actually have a lot of applicants and accept more students each semester but some can't get together enough finances to go to school down here. The faculty and administration like smaller classes and it's definitely a plus, but I think they would like to expand some. We could easily fit 30 people a semester (in my opinion) and when they eventually build a new campus I'm sure it would hold many more, around 50+ I would imagine. Also, if we get loans soon, that's definitely going to help attract more people to go to school here.

Lots of people bike here! And it is much safer to bike here compared to other islands. Grand Cayman has excellent roads and many of them have a nice big shoulder to bike on. Most main streets have sidewalks as well. I would definitely recommend keeping a lock on your bike at all times and there are plenty of repair shops around if something needs to be fixed. There's also biking tours and a biking club in the community I believe. Lots of bi/triathlons as well.

If you have any more questions, please let me know! :)

-V-

Oh, btw for everyone that was wondering...

SMU has a minimum requirement of a 2.5GPA and they are really focusing on the core GPA and those pre-reqs. So anything under at 2.5 core is basically no good. Also, the GRE is not required but is STRONGLY recommended.

I also posted some pictures of the campus on my personal profile so everyone can check them out.

Any more questions just shoot them my way! :)

-V-

Last edited:
I LOVE all the pictures!!! Thank you for posting them :) I could definitely see myself living there.

Haha thanks! Hey sorry but just to be sure, so is it 16K X 10 semesters basically? I thought it was super cheap at first but then I realized even though ur doing it in less time, they sort of screw u over with the extra semester thing. Granted 160K is not bad, total. Clinical year though you're paying 48K even though ur doing a normal 2 semester schedule in the US, right? Ugh.

Just chiming in here! I’m a senior vet student at St. Matthew’s, finishing up clinics in North Carolina (at NCSU).

The price for senior year is broken up in three payments just like the other 7 semesters on the island. No matter where you go for vet school all 4th year programs are all year long and some of them you start your clinical rotations the January of 3rd year. The prices are not that bad when you take into account out of state tuition. The folks at Western in California have a it A LOT worse than us. They have to pay a lot more money and in total are estimated to be $300,000 in debt when they are finished.

Living expenses during clinical year, for me are around $800-1000/month so a lot less and then again that is in Raleigh, NC. Some of my classmates are paying less at other schools.

J

St. Matthew’s Veterinary graduates can practice in any state in the US or Canada if they choose. You just have to see if the state is a PAVE state. If they are not they will accept the ECFVG program.

I’m currently in the process of taking the ECFVG’s exams and they are not that bad. How I figure it if you know the information there is no need to worry about passing extra exams. Yes, extra exams mean more cost or time but that’s not the end of the world. If you know it you know it.

J

I have another question about St Matthews..

I was just wondering who the affiliate schools were that students complete their clinicals with? I know of a few, but I'm having a hard time finding a list of them. I'm not too picky on where I go after Grand Caymen (if I go to Grand Caymen!) but it is important to me that I stay in the US for my last year.

I have another question about St Matthews..

I was just wondering who the affiliate schools were that students complete their clinicals with? I know of a few, but I'm having a hard time finding a list of them. I'm not too picky on where I go after Grand Caymen (if I go to Grand Caymen!) but it is important to me that I stay in the US for my last year.

Sure thing, no problem! After doing a bit of searching, I found it on the the SMU website.

Canada:

University of Prince Edward Island, Atlantic Veterinary College
http://www.upei.ca/avc/
University of Saskatchewan, Western College of Veterinary Medicine
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/
(For Canadian Students)

United States:

North Carolina State University
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/

Oklahoma State University
http://www.cvm.okstate.edu/

Purdue University
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/departments.html

University of Florida
http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/administration/

University of Georgia
http://www.vet.uga.edu/

University of Illinois
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/

University of Pennsylvania
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/

University of Minnesota
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/

Washington State University
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

-V-

Oh awesome! That makes me feel much better. How does that process take place? Do students get to choose schools to complete their clinicals and then get matched? Or are the students basically told where they have to go?

Oh awesome! That makes me feel much better. How does that process take place? Do students get to choose schools to complete their clinicals and then get matched? Or are the students basically told where they have to go?

At the end of 5th semester you pick the top 3 places that you would like to attend clinics. You fill out the necessary paperwork and submit them. Some clinical spots do a phone interview and some just look at a personal statement. GPA is heavily weighed as we are competing with other island schools for clinical spots. We do have a contract with each school listed, so they almost always accept students each semester. You find out in 6th semester what clinical spot you were chosen for. Hope this helps! :)

-V-

First off, congrats on getting accepted! :) Funny you should mention the website...administration is actually having a meeting about revamping the website tomorrow haha! A few of the students suggested it needed a (major) face lift, so they're on it.

I know of many students who brought down pets to the island. It's not that hard to do, it just takes a little leg work and a little extra money to do so. You need to contact the Department of Agriculture of Grand Cayman and they will tell you what you need to do. I haven't personally brought any animals down (I decided to adopt one from here) but my friends have. If you would like to talk to a student who has brought animals down, I can give you their contact information. Some students bring their pets down right away and some wait a semester to get settled before they bring them down. The residence hall does NOT allow any pets, but the residence suites does.

Don't worry about making friends. You will meet tons of people no matter where you live. :) I currently live in the suites, but am moving out next semester. You can find a lot of places that are nicer for the same price, or a little more. Many students live in the halls/suites their first semester and that gives them enough time to find another place off campus without rushing. I can recommend some places to live off campus that are affordable and safe.

SMU actually does have several facebook groups that I know of. Some people have started groups just for their class. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

I would be more than happy to chat with you sometime if you'd like. Shoot me an email and I'll give you my skype information. Hope this was helpful! :)

Thank you SO much for all of the info!! It's been super helpful!

I was just looking on FB and I still can't seem to find a vet group for SMU. Well, I found one for clinical rotations and also for the class of 2011, but nothing else. Maybe I'm just typing in the wrong things? I tried SMU Vet, St. Matthews, and an array of other things haha.

I would LOVE to talk to someone who has brought their pets down if you're able to give me their info/they're okay with it etc! I'm still not positive if I'll be bringing my dog down because my boyfriend may be able to take her, but I'd like to have all of the plans in place just in case. I've already looked into everything to get her a pet passport, so I know about all that =) My boyfriend and I are technically still fostering her... she was HW+ and made it through treatment successfully, so now we're just waiting until she's able to be spayed and then we can fill out the adoption paperwork =) I probably shouldn't be adopting her considering I may be moving to the Caribbean, but we've had her since August and I'm extremely attached and don't think I can give her up. Do you know what the weight limit is for dogs in the suites or if there even is one? In the paperwork they sent me it just said 'small dogs'. I should probably just email the school and ask but I just haven't yet, so I figured I'd see if you knew =) She's 50lbs and has been happily living in our small-ish apartment for the last 8 months, so I figured she might be okay in the suites with me if I don't decide to get an apartment. I'd really like to move in with some other vet students if possible, but it's hard to do that when I don't know anyone or have any means to contact my other classmates haha.

Also, I came up with a few more questions that I don't think you've answered yet (sorry if you have!). What kind of clubs is there to join, if any? I know that there's a lot of clubs at US schools that offer a lot of different hands-on experiences, so I was just wondering if SMU had anything like that. Also, do you feel like you get a lot of hands-on experience, or is it like some schools where you don't touch a live animal until 5th semester?

How do most people ship their stuff down? I saw in the SGU thread that you can purchase a shipping barrel from Amerijet... do students usually do something like that or do they just bring a bunch of suitcases/have their family ship them stuff?

Do cell phones work there? I have Verizon and I was just wondering if I'd be able to use my current phone there or if I'd need to sign up for a new plan. I saw that on the orientation/welcome day Digicel is giving out phones to everyone, so I'd assume that'd be the company I'd probably get a plan with if Verizon doesn't work there.

Is there buses that go to campus from the different apartment complexes, or at least that have a stop near some of the apartments? I'd also love to hear your suggestions about safe/reasonably priced apartments =)

Aaand lastly, is employment hard to find on the island? My boyfriend may be coming down to live with me after the first semester and he'd need to find a job to start paying off his loans.

I'm so sorry for all of the questions! It's so nerve-wracking trying to plan to move somewhere you've never been haha. I'm trying to plan a visit for this May because I think I'd feel much more comfortable deciding to attend if I actually saw the school and the island =)

Again, thank you SO much for all of your help!

Thank you SO much for all of the info!! It's been super helpful!

I was just looking on FB and I still can't seem to find a vet group for SMU. Well, I found one for clinical rotations and also for the class of 2011, but nothing else. Maybe I'm just typing in the wrong things? I tried SMU Vet, St. Matthews, and an array of other things haha.

I would LOVE to talk to someone who has brought their pets down if you're able to give me their info/they're okay with it etc! I'm still not positive if I'll be bringing my dog down because my boyfriend may be able to take her, but I'd like to have all of the plans in place just in case. I've already looked into everything to get her a pet passport, so I know about all that =) My boyfriend and I are technically still fostering her... she was HW+ and made it through treatment successfully, so now we're just waiting until she's able to be spayed and then we can fill out the adoption paperwork =) I probably shouldn't be adopting her considering I may be moving to the Caribbean, but we've had her since August and I'm extremely attached and don't think I can give her up. Do you know what the weight limit is for dogs in the suites or if there even is one? In the paperwork they sent me it just said 'small dogs'. I should probably just email the school and ask but I just haven't yet, so I figured I'd see if you knew =) She's 50lbs and has been happily living in our small-ish apartment for the last 8 months, so I figured she might be okay in the suites with me if I don't decide to get an apartment. I'd really like to move in with some other vet students if possible, but it's hard to do that when I don't know anyone or have any means to contact my other classmates haha.

Also, I came up with a few more questions that I don't think you've answered yet (sorry if you have!). What kind of clubs is there to join, if any? I know that there's a lot of clubs at US schools that offer a lot of different hands-on experiences, so I was just wondering if SMU had anything like that. Also, do you feel like you get a lot of hands-on experience, or is it like some schools where you don't touch a live animal until 5th semester?

How do most people ship their stuff down? I saw in the SGU thread that you can purchase a shipping barrel from Amerijet... do students usually do something like that or do they just bring a bunch of suitcases/have their family ship them stuff?

Do cell phones work there? I have Verizon and I was just wondering if I'd be able to use my current phone there or if I'd need to sign up for a new plan. I saw that on the orientation/welcome day Digicel is giving out phones to everyone, so I'd assume that'd be the company I'd probably get a plan with if Verizon doesn't work there.

Is there buses that go to campus from the different apartment complexes, or at least that have a stop near some of the apartments? I'd also love to hear your suggestions about safe/reasonably priced apartments =)

Aaand lastly, is employment hard to find on the island? My boyfriend may be coming down to live with me after the first semester and he'd need to find a job to start paying off his loans.

I'm so sorry for all of the questions! It's so nerve-wracking trying to plan to move somewhere you've never been haha. I'm trying to plan a visit for this May because I think I'd feel much more comfortable deciding to attend if I actually saw the school and the island =)

Again, thank you SO much for all of your help!

Here’s a couple links I found on facebook for St. Matthew’s.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Matthews-University/73106149967?ref=ts
http://www.facebook.com/groups/168893019826374/
Is that what you were looking for?

We have several clubs on campus. We have SVECCS, AAEP, Nutrition, FAM, Behavior, ZOO, and Marine Research. All the clubs have really cool speakers and wet labs that they do each semester and they’re a lot of fun!

You start taking Clinical Skills classes your 3rd semester and have a clin skills class every semester after that. This is where you get a lot of hands-on training. I love the clin skills classes here and I know a lot of vet schools in the states don’t offer things like that. If you’re in clubs, you can start doing hands on things 1st semester and there are other opportunities outside of school as well. : )

Do NOT ship stuff down here in a big crate. It is a pain in the butt. I just brought extra suitcases with me and so did my family members when I moved down here for the first time. I always bring a big suitcase full of supplies and goodies from wal*mart when I come back from each break. It works out really well.

Yes cell phones work here. The school actually gives you a pay as you go phone thru Digicel. You can “top up” your phone at many supermarkets and gas stations with cash or online with a card. I also still have my US cell phone, but only use it rarely to text back to the states if I need. I got a deal with AT&T that added 50 international texts a month for an extra $10. If I go over my 50 texts, it starts charging me 50cents a text, so definitely ask Verizon what plans they have. Most people just use skype to communicate with people back home. Some people use Digicel, some people use Lime, it just depends what plan is better for you.

There are public busses (large vans) that run up and down West Bay Road (7 mile beach) from very early in the morning until about 9pm at night. It is $2CI to ride them and they will stop and drop you off anywhere. They just go up the main road and don’t turn off anywhere. The suites, residence hall, and many apartment complexes are all located right on West Bay Rd or very close to them. You can also take a taxi but they are super expensive. They’ll charge you around $15CI to take you a short distance. Total waste of money, I know haha. Lots of students purchase a car down here and that’s what I’ve done. A lot of students also have bikes as well and the island is very bike friendly. Send me a message with what you want to spend per month and I’ll shoot you some links and contacts for housing. : )

I wouldn’t say it’s super hard to find a job on the island, but it is a process. If he knows for sure that he would come down to live with you, he needs to start looking for a job a few months before he gets here. If he is on your student visa he is not allowed to work. I think you can get tourist visas for 4-6 months and he could be down here on that and look for a job at the same time. If he got a job I believe he would get a work visa then. What kind of job is he looking for? And I’ll ask around if anyone’s significant other has a job down here.

Don’t worry about the questions, I had a million before I moved down here haha. If you want to come down and visit, just let me know and I can give you a tour of the school and some apartments and stuff. I’ll even be able to use the school van to take you out to the CTF because I’m a student ambassador. Woohoo! ;)

Send me a private message so I can send you that housing and pet info!

-V-

Do NOT ship stuff down here in a big crate. It is a pain in the butt. I just brought extra suitcases with me and so did my family members when I moved down here for the first time. I always bring a big suitcase full of supplies and goodies from wal*mart when I come back from each break. It works out really well.

Yes cell phones work here. The school actually gives you a pay as you go phone thru Digicel. You can “top up” your phone at many supermarkets and gas stations with cash or online with a card. I also still have my US cell phone, but only use it rarely to text back to the states if I need. I got a deal with AT&T that added 50 international texts a month for an extra $10. If I go over my 50 texts, it starts charging me 50cents a text, so definitely ask Verizon what plans they have. Most people just use skype to communicate with people back home. Some people use Digicel, some people use Lime, it just depends what plan is better for you

did you run into any airline embargos when bringing extra baggage? down here in Grenada the airlines have a "2 checked policy or else" deal during the summer that includes move in in august (just curious! thats the reason people here tend to ship-though its very expensive and i've had no troubling living off of what i brought and have had to purchase very little)

and as a little note, in grenada we use lime/digicel for island communication and most people use skype, google products, magicjack and google voice (free texting) :)

did you run into any airline embargos when bringing extra baggage? down here in Grenada the airlines have a "2 checked policy or else" deal during the summer that includes move in in august (just curious! thats the reason people here tend to ship-though its very expensive and i've had no troubling living off of what i brought and have had to purchase very little)

and as a little note, in grenada we use lime/digicel for island communication and most people use skype, google products, magicjack and google voice (free texting) :)

I personally never did. Different airlines will charge you different fees for extra bags and what not, but my family came down when I originally moved down here, so they were able to each bring and extra suitcase for me. I've never heard good things about shipping big crates down here. If people transfer from SGU or Ross, they have to ship things here and have no other choice. Everyone just tries to avoid doing it haha. And plus, you can by everything you need down here, it's just the matter of paying a little bit more.

Yeah, totally forgot about google voice and magicjack! Lots of students use magicjack down here as well. :)

-V-

Just to add a little bit more....the contract agreements state that as long as a student has 2.25 or higher there is no reason not to be placed at a clinical school. Historically, people are placed at one of their 3 ranked schools unless more students put down those schools then available spots...That is when GPA plays a bigger role.

Just a little more info. :)

I have my phone interview on tuesday. what questions do they ask? I have never interviewed with a school by phone before.

I have my phone interview on tuesday. what questions do they ask? I have never interviewed with a school by phone before.

Hey there! They just ask very general questions. They also asked me what my main concern with veterinary medicine was currently. So it's good to know some stuff that's going on in the veterinary world and the U.S. with vet med. The interview was very laid back and the lady interviewing me was very nice. They only take a day or two to get back to you as well. I also felt I wasn't as nervous over the phone compared to a one on one interview. Just relax and you'll do great! Let me know the outcome! :D

-V-

Hi Valerie,

You had written that SMU has yet to receive accreditation but that contradicts the website? Is there something I'm missing?

Also, you said that the GRE is not required, but strongly recommended. However, on the application check list (on the website), it ask for GRE or MCAT scores. Do you mind clearing that up for me?

If you've attended three different schools, and therefore have three different GPA's, how does SMU asses your GPA? Do they average all three together or look at each one and the difficulty of that school's curriculum (university vs. community college)?

You write such awesome responses that my husband and I agreed SMU should be paying you.:)

Thank you for your time,

Lauren
Austin, TX

Last edited:
HA! Why thank you! I'll suggest that to administration but I doubt they go for it. ;)

I believe that it says on the SMU website that they received their "listing" from AVMA. That is not the same thing as accreditation. I think it's just a fancy word for "recognize." We are in the process of trying to gain accreditation and are definitely on the right track. If you have any questions about the website, please let me know. Not all of the info is current and they are in the process of updating it but I don't know how long that will take.

The application does have a section to put GRE or MCAT scores, but you don't have to fill them in if you haven't taken the test. If you have, I would strongly suggest to fill out that section and have your scores sent in.

You're in the same boat I am! I actually went to 3 different schools, so I'm sure you know the headache of getting transcripts from all of them and sending them in and blah blah blah. When I averaged out my GPA, I took it from everything combined which included all schools I attended and all my classes. They will most likely focus on those required classes and your core GPA. They don't want anything under a 2.5 core GPA. Now there are those situations sometimes where people have too much of a good time their first couple years of college and then decide to get down to business and their GPA doesn't look so hot. But if they show a definite turn around and change, and they can explain that they got serious and what not, it definitely helps. That's just my personal opinion though. It shouldn't matter whether you took the courses at a university or community college.

If you have any more questions please let me know! Happy St. Patty's! :luck:

-V-

The phone interview is a time for you to clarify any weaknesses to your application or further elaborate on your experiences. So if you did a lot of research in undergrad/post graduation or working in an animal hospital/shelter for many years, volunteered for different projects you SHOULD mention them here. Even if you have included them in your application you need to bring them up. The university wants to see what type of person you are and what you can bring to the table. As Valerie has mentioned here we look at the entire student’s record not just academics however the university is shifting gears for accreditation and therefore with that the application process becomes more competitive. However, the university is not leaving behind the platform of giving individuals a chance at their academic goal as we have been happily surprised before.

After your interview you will be notified in a couple days to a week of a full acceptance. If you have questions after the interview or before please feel free to post here or email me at [email protected]

My biggest piece of advice is be casual and that will make things a lot easier! http://dkmg2azsloi0e.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
J

Probably wouldn't hurt to ask, considering how well your doing at promoting the school.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. So basically being "accredited" is somewhat trivial because as long as you pass the necessary exams, you can practice just like other vets who attended "accredited" schools?

Probably wouldn't hurt to ask, considering how well your doing at promoting the school.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. So basically being "accredited" is somewhat trivial because as long as you pass the necessary exams, you can practice just like other vets who attended "accredited" schools?

It's not trivial because it means that you have to go through a lot more trouble to get your license than if you go to an accredited school. You have to take one of two long and expensive tests as well as the NAVLE (which all of us have to take). It also can affect your ability to get loans from the government. It also may mean that the school does not (yet) meet the standards for accredidation so you may not be getting the same education you would at an accredited school. Not trying to knock SMU, but getting accredited is a big deal - just look at the celebrations from Ross and SGU or the major controversy around the recent UNAM accreditation.

Yes. You will either have to take the PAVE or the ECFVG plus the NAVLE depending on what state you want to practice in. So far, and as much as I know, it hasn't been a problem from people graduating from SMU to take the extra tests. You actually take the PAVE while you're down here in 6th and 7th semester. You take the ECFVG in clinics and/or after clinics. I wouldn't consider it "a lot more trouble." If you read the entire thread you'll see that Joe and I already talked about this.

I would like to know how it affects you getting loans from the government. Do you mean while you're in school, or after? If you're referring to trying to get loans while in your clinical year, then no. You're still on SMU tuition and their program, no matter where you go to clinics. We do not currently have loans right now down at SMU and are in the process of getting them.

As far as the "same education" goes, I'd like to disagree with you. There's a lot more things that go into accreditation than just "same education." All the students I know that have graduated from SMU have had no problems in clinics and/or taking the necessary tests. I wouldn't be attending veterinary school here if I didn't think I was receiving the proper education.

I agree with you that getting accredited is a big deal, but it also has to do with waaaaaaay more than just the "same education". Trust me, I know. I've been down here for a year and we're in the process of getting accredited and doing what is necessary to make that happen. Ross has been around for almost 30 years and St. George has been around for about 12. SMU has been around for 6 or 7 years and we're right on their heels. We are definitely heading in the right direction.

I am confident that SMU is on the right track for accreditation, and for now; I know that I am receiving all the education I need to become a veterinarian. :)

-V-

I can tell you that the accreditation process has not played a major role in my veterinary career. The accreditation process indeed sets a standard of education however I would like to assure everyone reading as well as posting in this board that St. Matthew’s is meeting those standards. I am two months from graduating from the veterinary program and have been placed at NC State University for almost a year now. During my time here I have done EXTREMELY well compared to the NCSU students. The grading program that the university has places me above average, across the board compared to the other students. That along gives me comfort knowing that the education I have received is of good quality. I have been to many externships in the North East and have received nothing but praises for my medical knowledge, client communication skills, and my comfort level in a practice. At my last externship the owner of the practice was “blown away” at my level of confidence. I was able to handle all the the practice emergency calls during office hours. I was able to communicate with the clients my medical findings and the plan that I wanted to implement. I actually performed my first solo abdominal exploratory while at that hospital. Something that many new grads (mind you I have not graduated yet) feel comfortable doing. Now I ask you did the client ask me what veterinary school I graduated from? No. Did he ask if it was AVMA accredited? Most of the consumer population have no idea with the AVMA is. Mind you many pre-veterinary students do not know what that is.

The cons of graduating from a non-AVMA accredited school. Yes, we have to take either the ECFVG or the PAVE (and some folks take both). Yes, taking these exams is costly and requires time. I am in the process of taking the ECFVG and I have my practical date in August. It has cost me $6,000 USD. In the grand scheme of things that will be less than 0.01% of my total life earnings. To those that are afraid of taking those exams I tell them do not worry. If you truly know what you are doing (and we are prepared from the first day) there is nothing to worry about. You should be able to take an exam without a worry.

All of the professors that teach at St. Matthew’s are intimately familiar with the AVMA standards and many have taught at such schools. I can tell you that going to a school where my entire class is a size of 22 students is far better then the 150 students or 120 students one would experience at another US/Canadian/UK/Caribbean school. I did not have to compete for lab space, patient time, or professors attention like my friends at other schools. I had the opportunity to get to know my professors (soon to be colleagues) or my classmates (also future colleagues). That experience alone is well with it’s weight in gold to me. AVMA accreditation or not.

As far as loans. St. Matthew’s has a partial loan program with our contract partner Davenport University. This requires students to a MBA program while doing their DVM. Many students are involved in the program and all of them have been able to seek full time jobs. Again, this is something that has not been commonly done by others entering the job market. There are still graduates from 2010 that do not have jobs. That is not the case for St. Matthew’s graduates (I have surveyed them).

On a side note. Valerie and I, along with the other 10 ambassadors for St. Matthew’s do not receive a fee for posting in this forum. I was actually the student that showed Valerie around St. Matthew’s campus and Grand Cayman over a year ago (time does fly). We all do this because we want to. We want others to experience what we have experienced. That is how OUR university has grown.

I’m happy to answer any other questions you have! :)

Cheers!
J

It's not trivial because it means that you have to go through a lot more trouble to get your license than if you go to an accredited school. You have to take one of two long and expensive tests as well as the NAVLE (which all of us have to take). It also can affect your ability to get loans from the government. It also may mean that the school does not (yet) meet the standards for accredidation so you may not be getting the same education you would at an accredited school. Not trying to knock SMU, but getting accredited is a big deal - just look at the celebrations from Ross and SGU or the major controversy around the recent UNAM accreditation.

I appreciate your honesty, it's why I'm hear so I can triple check before committing myself to embark on such a daunting task. I believe that you are only as a good at your career as the time and effort you put into it. Yes, there are schools more prestigious than others, but the bottom line is that when students graduate from a vet school there're on their own-not always to be associated with where they went to school.

Because it's not accredited to you think it will make it more difficult to get a job, once the exams are passed?

Last edited:
Joseph,

I'm glad to hear that you have met with so much success at SMU. You obviously have helped Valerie, who is helping others, such as myself. I'm really impressed with everything I'm hearing about SMU and would love to be there next year. I can't tell you how much you and Valerie's post have helped me to clarify the process of going out of the country. THANK YOU!

When you want something so badly, that everything else hails in comparison, you find a way to get there and that's precisely what I'm doing. Becoming a veterinarian is my ultimate goal, and I won't stop till I get there-accredation or not :)

I just read on another thread, that there are 5 states that will not allow you to practice if you graduate from St. Matthews. Do you know what five states? I live in Texas, and would really love to come back here after finishing school.

Last edited:
Joseph,

I'm glad to hear that you have met with so much success at SMU. You obviously have helped Valerie, who is helping others, such as myself. I'm really impressed with everything I'm hearing about SMU and would love to be there next year. I can't tell you how much you and Valerie's post have helped me to clarify the process of going out of the country. THANK YOU!

When you want something so badly, that everything else hails in comparison, you find a way to get there and that's precisely what I'm doing. Becoming a veterinarian is my ultimate goal, and I won't stop till I get there-accredation or not :)

I just read on another thread, that there are 5 states that will not allow you to practice if you graduate from St. Matthews. Do you know what five states? I live in Texas, and would really love to come back here after finishing school.

You are most welcome! That is what SMU has been built on..students helping students (along side the faculty). Everything Valerie says about the Dean knowing you name and being known is absolutely true. I think it has been mentioned that some folks do not need the extra attention. But I can tell you the knowing the face type of relationship comes in helpful when you’re looking for references for internships, residencies, or jobs. The veterinary community is pretty small compared to other professions, even on an international scale.

SMU Veterinary Graduates are able to practice in ALL states as long as you meet that states requirements by taking either the PAVE or the ECFVG. Texas is a PAVE accepted state so you would just have to take the PAVE (in 6th or 7th semester) and then the NAVLE while in clinics (which everyone one has to take). We have graduates working in a number of states in the US as well as providences in Canada. We also have a graduate working back in Cayman (as she was a native of the island). We have a number of students working in Texas for sure!

I agree..if you want something bad enough you will do what you have to! That is mutual among many of our students/graduates :)

J