St. Matthews University WARNING

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurewildlifev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a little letter I wrote to the President where you can read my SEVERE quality complaint:

Dear Dr. Dietrich,

I was a potential vet student. I merely wanted to defer for a year. I feel SMU was highly inflexible whereas SGU and most other schools give students at least up to a year to defer. Here my only options were to either lose $500 or lose $500 AND only get to defer for one semester. Likewise, I feel that the administration was highly confusing in addressing questions, having told me I can get my money back, then not get my money back, calling me by different names, not answering questions and necessitating a long series of e-mails just to obtain what I felt was basic information. And last but not least, I feel Terrance Reid, was very rude to me on the phone, both raising his voice where I had not and then actually hanging up on me. I told him that it was unprofessional to raise his voice on the phone. Then he indicates that I would not make a good member of "SMU family" and that I can not reapply based on a decision made by you and him. I find this strangest and most disturbing of all. In neither Terrance Reid's tone or neglect of my indicating that I really wanted to attend SMU (I already spoke with faculty about my interest in wildlife medicine research) did I get any indication that he felt students were part of a family. I am issuing this complaint for quality improvement and general dissatisfaction.

Sincerely...

Members don't see this ad.

Terrence Reid and other administration do NOT care about students, are highly inflexible in dealing with personal situations that come up. SGU ARE respectful and are a hell of a lot more flexible. This complaint is being issued to the AVMA where I report the quality and decorum of SGU compared to the mess of SMU

You might want to work on your grammar and punctuation before you actually send that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AVMA's response: +pity+

:D

(While I agree that hanging up on someone (if that is what happened) is generally quite unprofessional, I'm sure he has his own version of the story, which may or may not include the OP raising his/her voice. Sometimes we can't see our own hand in a bad situation...

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine going to the AVMA would help as St. Matt's is not an accredited vet school.

I would agree on working on the grammar and what not, I sympathize but I had a very hard time reading and figuring out what actually happened to you.

That sucks that you had a bad experience with them, although many AVMA accredited schools do not allow deferment.

You pay the deposit to hold your seat in class (specifically the class that you were admitted for). They held up their end of the bargin. You pulled out:idea:. Why should they refund your money because you changed your mind about starting with the class you applied for:confused:?

So two things to learn:
1. Read the fine print and get it in writing if you want special treatment BEFORE you send in a large sum of money....
2. Schools are under no obligation to let you defer (regardless if they are AVMA accredited or not).:rolleyes: