St. Matthews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dee vee emm

Future DVM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...
So I just saw this flyer thing at school today about St. Matthew's. I just wanted to know if anyone has applied there before or goes there??
Or if anyone has any info...
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I go there. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If you are going to the Caribbean, this is by far the best (most ethical and safest area) choice. Student loans are the issue right now, but, classes keep getting bigger despite that. If you have any questions let me know!

IslandHomie, Would you mind maybe posting a pros and cons list? Just a suggestion:p also does st. matthews go through the summer like Ross does?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I was accepted into St. Matthew's and St. George's, but chose to go to St. George's only because they have been around longer, and there are about 5 states that will not let you practice if you have a degree from St. Matthew's because the school is so new. If it weren't for this I would definitely gone there. Every other aspect of the school seemed amazing!

I know this might not be too helpful, but my mom graduated from the St. Matthews med school last year. From what she tells me, it was a very positive experience. I have been to the island a few times and I have family that live there, so I don't really know that much about the school besides what you can read on their website, but if you have any questions about the island, I might be able to help you out.

I seriously considered applying there this year because I was flat-out rejected last cycle, but I got on the wait list this cycle at my IS, so I am going to give my IS one more go before I apply to SMU.

Also, if it is relevant to you, I emailed someone at the school about large animal experience, and they said that the vet students are always called out to work with the Dept of Ag vets down there to work with cows, pigs, and goats that are on the island. They also have a lot of horses on the island that they are allowed to do stuff with.

A vet at the hospital where I work went to St. Matthews. She RAVES about it! Said it was the best experience of her life.

PROS- great school/staff, quality education, a lot of exposure to MANY different animals and exotics.

CONS- $$$$$$$$ haha and the licensing process (different everywhere depending on where you want to practice).

But she highly recommends it to everyone and had been trying to sway me to apply there haha

Hope that helps a little :)

Thanks for the help!
I think I might look into applying there...
as for the money part... well going anywhere besides OVC is gonna cost me a bunch so I guess from that aspect it's not a big concern (as long as I can get a loan for that!)

Thanks for the help!
I think I might look into applying there...
as for the money part... well going anywhere besides OVC is gonna cost me a bunch so I guess from that aspect it's not a big concern (as long as I can get a loan for that!)

I'm in the same situation. The money is making me question whether or not I should bother applying. St. George's and St. Matthew's seem more like my kind of a school though. Why can't Canada work the same was as the states when it comes to vet school?

I'm in the same situation. The money is making me question whether or not I should bother applying. St. George's and St. Matthew's seem more like my kind of a school though. Why can't Canada work the same was as the states when it comes to vet school?

let's not get into that argument...lol
we complain that we pretty much only have one option to apply to (unless you're lucky and are a 'resident' of 2 provinces)... and then all the Americans say how lucky we are to have wayyyy lower tuition than they do..lol
we don't even get the option of a waitlist though...

I think I will apply to St. Matthew's...
But can someone explain to me all the numbers they have beside the pre-reqs... like semester hours and stuff. I don't get it. :smack:Just tell me how many classes I need, and not hours!

I think I will apply to St. Matthew's...
But can someone explain to me all the numbers they have beside the pre-reqs... like semester hours and stuff. I don't get it. :smack:Just tell me how many classes I need, and not hours!
LOL! I know kind of confusing right? Yes, anyone please help dee vee emm and I out! Physics is only recommended and not required? Say what?!?! On one hand people here don't seem to mind St. Matthew's vet school...although I hear very little about it compared to Ross and St George (why is that, please tell me because I'm curious:rolleyes:) and the one vet I shadow under highly reveres St. George and Ross (although he graduated from U of I) but he says St. Matthews is no good because all the vets he has worked with from there were terrible I guess. Could this be true, thus SDNers don't hear much about this school. So many questions.:laugh:

My advisor for my thesis was the first dean ever for the vet college there, but that's about all I can tell you about it!

The numbers by the classes are credit hours, and that is indicative of how many hours a week the class meets. I'm not sure how Canada's credits transfer into US credits, someone else will have to clarify that one. If you call St. Matthew's, Ross, or St. George's, they can probably explain it to you.

You hear little about St. Matthews because it is so new. But that doesn't mean that it is any worse/better than other schools. To be honest, if I didn't get into St. George's right away, I was going to apply to St. Matthews. I've heard wonderful things about the school, and I'm sure you get the same quality of education there as anywhere else. I know people always say "Oh, I heard of a vet that went there and he was amazing/awful.". Really, it's the person that makes the veterinarian and not so much the school. You will get the same information there as you will at other schools, it's what you do with the information that matters.

The numbers by the classes are credit hours, and that is indicative of how many hours a week the class meets. I'm not sure how Canada's credits transfer into US credits, someone else will have to clarify that one. If you call St. Matthew's, Ross, or St. George's, they can probably explain it to you.

You hear little about St. Matthews because it is so new. But that doesn't mean that it is any worse/better than other schools. To be honest, if I didn't get into St. George's right away, I was going to apply to St. Matthews. I've heard wonderful things about the school, and I'm sure you get the same quality of education there as anywhere else. I know people always say "Oh, I heard of a vet that went there and he was amazing/awful.". Really, it's the person that makes the veterinarian and not so much the school. You will get the same information there as you will at other schools, it's what you do with the information that matters.

VERY well said :) I now crap vets from OVC and crap vets from AVC, and I know AMAAAAZZZZIIINNGG vets from both also + St. Matthews and a few French vet schools.....It's a great attitude and willingness to improve yourself that makes a great vet....not the school ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
QUOTE]

so for general bio let's say.... it says 8 semester hours and 12 quarter hours... I'm not sure what the quarter hours mean, but my general bio was 3 hours of lecture and then 3 hours of lab.. so that's 6 hours...
So would I have to submit another bio class to make up the last 2 hours?? OR where does that come from??

My bio course was 3 hours/week lecture and 3 hours/week lab, but was worth like 4 credit hours. In order to meet the 8 hour requirement, I would think that something like animal biology (zoology) or plant biology (botany) would meet the other 4 credit hours requirement.

Quarter hours are an alternative to semester hours - don't worry about those if that's not what your university uses.

They just had their first graudating class this last year So there are not that many vets out there from St. Matthew's yet. I think it's only been around for about 5 years.

how about the admission statistics? I have also heard good things about the caribbean schools, but are they really hard to get into?? does anyone have any idea??

thanks

Does anyone know the living expenses for St. Matthews ? I am trying to get it as close as i can so I know what to borrow for the semester ..

thanks

how about the admission statistics? I have also heard good things about the caribbean schools, but are they really hard to get into?? does anyone have any idea??

thanks

well , I got turned down by Ross last year and pretty much told it may be a waste of time to reapply ....got accepted to St. Matthews for Jan 2011 , had an interview with AUA and waiting to hear back ..the interviewer said she is recommending me to the comittee...have an interview with St. George coming up ...

stats

cumulative GPA 2.8
science GPA 3.0 (pre reqs)
last 45 hrs GPA 3.5
GRA 890 ( sux bad )

great recommendation letters
lots and lots of experience with animals ( large animals too )
volunteer work for several vets

I might as well put this question on here.

I just got an email... why I don't know... from Ross, and the email raves about how Canadian students can get provincial loans to attend.

St. George's is my preferred caribbean school, so I emailed them. I basically asked them how their Canadian students are able to afford their education.

I was wondering if anyone out there had information on Canadian student loans and private loans for attending school out of the country?

Once I get a bit of a break, I'll probably call the national student loan center... the financial advisor says that you can get up to $13 000/year to study abroad, but it might be different for professional programs.

Also, some banks offer $20 000-25 000/year line of credit to professional students?

Unfortunately... unless I live at home and work for the next 5 years, there is no way I can live off of $33 000/year in loans.

Are all of their students millionaires or what? :cool:

Two other cautions about island schools; if you plan to specialize, I have been told they can impact internship/residency. And there are threads about lack of student support and the method used to deal with a student who is failing/fails a class.

I suggest searching SDN for threads about the island schools. That should give some info on costs, loans, academics, etc. I am not suggesting that the vets from these schools are less prepared than students from AVMA acred schools, but I have heard concerns voiced that because they accept a broader range of students (qualification wise) they do not have the level of retention and promotion that the AVMA schools have, and that aspect can be an issue for students. Trying to find statistical pass and retention rates from these schools was problematic two years ago (last time I actually asked.)

Isn't St. George considered one of the better schools? I thought that they were all about helping students succeed compared to Ross at least.

There are lots about American loans... barely anything about Canadian loans. All they told me was that a lot of students are eligable for scholarships and financial aid.

I had planned on going to their Open House last year and asking all of those questions, but couldn't make it.

Hi, I’m a vet student at St. Matthew’s University. I was asked by a friend to provide some insight on my experiences. First of all, I absolutely love it here. Grand Cayman is a wonderful island, very safe and more similar to the U.S. than other Caribbean islands.

I was accepted into all four Caribbean vet schools and chose to go here because of the location (safe island, very close to Miami, so cheaper flight) and because of their small class sizes (each recent class has between 10-20 students). I am very glad I chose this school because I do well in a small class environment and poorly in a large lecture oriented program (which is what Ross and SGU are). The vet program consists of 3 semesters per year, so we only have 2-3 week breaks in between each semester (that way you’ll get done faster but you won’t have a summer break).

In terms of money, I did some research before I enrolled anywhere and found that while tuition here is cheaper than other Caribbean schools, cost of living is higher simply because of the exchange rate of USD to Cayman Dollars, so it’s almost the same wherever you go. They don’t offer loans or financial aid right now, but if you’re pressed for cash and are able to handle doing research and writing papers on top of the studying that’s required, you can look into the Davenport program, which is basically a business class you take every semester for loan money towards your tuition. If you decide to finish the program you can graduate with an MBA. A few of my classmates are doing it and although it’s tedious, they are grateful for the financial aid.

I can’t say much about comparing the Caribbean schools because I’ve only been to SMU, but we do get a lot of transfers from the other schools, especially Ross, who seem to do better at SMU. But, each person learns in different ways, so I can’t say who has a better program.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer!

Scarcelyheard, I think Canadian loans for studying abroad work much like a regular provincial student loan except it's a lot harder to find information about it! My sister was recently looking into studying in England, and I can ask her for more info if you'd like. I know that to get a loan, the school has to be on a list of approved schools. I think the size of the loan is comparable to provincial ones. Check out canlearn.ca, it should have a section on studying abroad. Beware the complex and hard-to-navigate government website, though!

I typed a lengthy reply and my wireless timed out :(

Roughleggedhawk: thank you for the information! If you can find out what your sister knows, that would be great. I would appreciate it! If not, I was planning on giving the student loan center a call before the new year.

I have come across the list of eligable schools. It's HUGE. Ross and St. Matthews is on the list if I remember correctly. Only the St. George med school is listed, so I will have to ask them about that. A friend of a friend decided to attend a tiny, women-only arts school somewhere in Australia and that was on the list. It's safe to say that other international vet schools are there as well.

The information I have been given about Caribbean schools is vague. Someone had told me that you CAN'T get a student loan to go to the Caribbean. Then Ross sent me an email, stating that most of their students are eligable for provincial loans. So it's back on the table. Until I get some solid numbers, I am not going to cross applying internationally off my list.

If my provincial student loan was for the same amount as I am receiving now... well, I'll never be able to afford to attend an international school.

I'm not sure how many other Canadians are curious about applying to the caribbean, but I'll post back with the information I have received.

Thanks for your help, everyone! :)

Until I get some solid numbers, I am not going to cross applying internationally off my list.
Completely off topic, but when are you applying scarcelyheard? Because I may apply for the winter 2012 session at Ross or St. Matthews or summer 2012 and it's always cool to know who will be applying the same round as you LOL!:laugh:

If I find out that I can afford it, that's when I'd like to apply :)

I always like to know who is else is applying too.

Scarcelyheard, I talked to my sister about loans for study abroad. She says that the provincial loan would be pretty much the same (maybe slightly bigger) as what you'd be awarded for study within the country, and that you apply in the same way. There are scholarships out there for graduate studies, but you'd have to look around for them.

She also warned me that you have to be careful with the visas and be extra sure you know what is required. I don't know what the requirements are for Grenada, but some places require you to have proof of funding beforehand. In that case, you'd have to get an estimate in writing from student loans, since schools are usually finished with acceptances before provincial loans are actually awarded. Also, you may not be able to count money you hope to make while at school (say, with a part-time job) towards your funding.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll see if I can get answers. My sister was looking at going to England, so I don't have any access to Caribbean-specific knowledge, though.

My provincial loan was $4 000 this time around. National loan was much bigger.

Looks like I won't be going to the Caribbean on $4 000 per year :p

Thank you :)

i researched the Caribb schools quite a bit before applying to Edinburgh. i was accepted to SGU and thought it seemed like the best fit, even tho i had not visited. It was a bit far and also a third world country...which wasn't too appealing to me. I did visit SMU and while the island is pretty nice (1st world) it is very, very expensive compared to what i was used to on a resort island in SC. I also was not impressed at all with the 'campus'. i visited 2 years ago and it was literally a 4 building office park shared with med school. The anatomy lab was about 20-30 min away at the USDA place, i believe. I did not get to see it, but it seemed like a hassle to have to get bussed out there. I'm not sure if they've moved or expanded campuses, but it did not have a good feel for me, personally. SGU looked much more the part and I, personally think i would have been happier there.

I talked to a few students at both places and I did not find any major red flags at either, other than the loan situations, if you needed them. The Caymans are very convenient to get to and you would have basically all of what you are used to at home - reliable and quick banking (a major industry there), broadband internet, reliable phone service, etc. Not sure about Grenada with all of these things, but Hopeful07 can certainly provide insight, as she was a great source of info when i was planning on going.

Good Luck!

I'm going abroad for vet school and my understanding is if you are a resident of Ontario, you will only get the federal portion of OSAP. The provincial loan is only reserved for people going to school within Ontario. The maximum federal loan is 12,000/year and chances are you probably won't get the maximum loan. I'm still fuzzy on the detail, but that's what I was told when I called the National student loan for some general information.

Also, apparently for banks, if you go to a AVMA approved vet school, you are qualified for 80,000 student line of credit (for 4 years), however if you do have previous loans (OSAP or something), they may deduct your previous loans from the full amount...i.e. 10,000 in OSAP will results in a 70,000 student line of credit for 4 years.
I was told that the reason for them being super difficult is because there is no guarantee that you'd come back, and to be on the safe side they won't loan you as much as if you were a professional student in Canada.

I don't know if any of this is actually correct, but I thought I'd share the information I've gotten so far :S

So basically... if I want to get loans to go to an international school, I'm going to have to take a few years off to pay of my $34 000 student loan and $18 000 line of credit in order for anyone to give me anything.

Oi.

That's hard to do working minium wage.

I have no clue, what I posted is what I've gotten information on so far, but I really think it depends on the individual's situation too. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Though the 80,000 student loan seems to be pretty standard for most banks. I think if you're thinking about it, you should definitely sit with with a student loan person at a bank and go through your individual situation with you, they may loan you more, you never know.

I'm on minimum wage too... I know how you feel :(

Hi!

I was accepted into St. Matthew's and St. George's, but chose to go to St. George's only because they have been around longer, and there are about 5 states that will not let you practice if you have a degree from St. Matthew's because the school is so new. If it weren't for this I would definitely gone there. Every other aspect of the school seemed amazing!

Do you know which 5 states won't let you practice if you graduate from St. Matthews? Also where can I find out more information on this topic?

Hi!

Just to clarify, there are not any states in the USA at this time that would not allow a graduate of St. Matthew’s University School of Veterinary Medicine to practice. You may be required to take either the ECFVG or PAVE but you will not be turned away.

I’m not sure if this was different at some other time however since I have been at the school since 2009 there has been no such issues :)

J

Every student from St. Matthews says they absolutely loved it. This seems kind of suspicious to me. I know everyone is super excited about getting into vet school, but does anyone really love it after the first round of tests?

This is reviving a very old thread! I don't go to st. matthews, so I cannot speak from their standpoint, but I just finished my first rounds of exams and I'm loving my school (even if I was a bit tired at 4am the morning before the Biochem exam!). So, it's possible! I'm sure if we could talk to every member of the class you'd find a group of people that are less than happy. I've personally met 2 graduates (and maybe more that I didn't know about) and both were extremely happy with their education.