Stanford resident work hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LossOfResistance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an applying MS4 and, as with many others, am extremely interested in Stanford. During my interview one of the faculty members told me, unsolicited, that "the residents here work very hard", a statement that was repeated several times throughout the day; however, I couldn't get a good idea of what that actually translated into in terms of numbers, understanding that some rotations will be heavier than others. I am happy and eager to work hard, but it is nice to have time to get to the gym and do some studying on weeknights. Stanford struck me as a place where resident education was paramount, but I am a little concerned that there are no CRNAs to absorb some of the less educational cases. Can I bother any current or former residents to speak to this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm an applying MS4 and, as with many others, am extremely interested in Stanford. During my interview one of the faculty members told me, unsolicited, that "the residents here work very hard", a statement that was repeated several times throughout the day; however, I couldn't get a good idea of what that actually translated into in terms of numbers, understanding that some rotations will be heavier than others. I am happy and eager to work hard, but it is nice to have time to get to the gym and do some studying on weeknights. Stanford struck me as a place where resident education was paramount, but I am a little concerned that there are no CRNAs to absorb some of the less educational cases. Can I bother any current or former residents to speak to this? Thanks!

Work hour averages are posted online. time for gym and a bit of studying can easily be squeezed in if you're efficient... Hell I can do it in my medicine intern year with more hours then what's posted for anesthesia. I go to the gym, study for 30 min and sleep 8 hours a day