Started a job not long ago but heard back from an offer I really wanted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christy101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just started a job at a retail not long ago about a few weeks and they are kind of training me but don't really like it there. I started because I was afraid in this job market I wouldn't be given another offer cuz how tight this market is. I hope everyone can relate to that feeling with a new grad that didn't have a cvs or walgreens lined up and job offers are so hard to get. But I just heard back from a different place that's a much better offer and from where i liked. I'm not sure what to do. I know it would look really bad to leave so early on but I'm really tempted by the other offer which was what I liked more But due to their selection process it took a while for them to get back to me since they have to go through HR etc. I really don't want to burn any bridges or piss anyone off but it's a really hard decision for me to make now. I'm a new grad, I'm afraid, I'm scared to make a big mistake and ruin my future. Can anyone give some honest advice. Should I give up this offer I want and stay at this place I don't really like. Or risk burning the bridge and take this offer I like? I know pharmacy is a small world so thats why I'm really afraid to do anything to make myself look bad. Please help. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the job you really want. It's a no brainer. Once you have the offer in your hand or a signed contract, go to your present employer and tell them the truth. Apologize, but say you received a better offer. Thank them, offer to give them time to find your replacement, but don't be surprised or upset if they terminate you on the spot.

Reactions: 1 user
You won't be burning any bridges if you offer to give notice and time for a replacement. They likely already have a replacement lined up (floaters) if it's a corporate chain. You will still be eligible for rehire.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it's CVS they're used to ppl burning bridges by now. ppl stepping on them for a few weeks to a few months and move on to something better. they have a very high turnover rate, thats why they have less store than walgreens but have more hirings. in this surplus market they can always hire someone new.

Thx, well it's not a corporate chain. I'm not really happy there and i guess honestly i took it due to the tight market. It wasn't the best offer But I guess I feel bad to leave But I was afraid if I didn't take it I might not have a job in this market.

Last edited:
Thx, well it's not a corporate chain, just an independent. I'm not really happy there and i guess honestly i took it as a back up. But I guess I feel bad to just leave so early on and they had the intention for me to stay.