starting a non-profit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Sticks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well my question to everyone here is;
So I am active in volunteering clinical mainly, etc, etc..

Now.. for non-clinical I am about to start a non-profit for community stuff, safety, etc, etc.(not going into details to retain anonymity)
Would this be sufficient for non-clinical experience? FYI not doing it for med school, I'm doing it because I want to save my community..
I ask because I'm wondering if I will have to take on another non-clinical gig to satisfy requirements with adcoms..

(I'll be dedicating A LOT of time to the cause.. The group actually exists, but is not a non-profit yet.. hopefully in a the next two years but it's gonna be an active group.. events planned already)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, quality > quantity (golden rule)
I guess that will be the route I will take. I don't want to burden myself with too many commitments though at the moment.. Campaign season is coming up, and I'm involved in politics. (I don't think that counts as an EC??)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you start? I have a plan to start a pantry or soup kitchen since there isn't one in my area but have no idea how to start. :p

Starting a non profit is a massive amount of work, and requires a lot of thought, purpose, and dedication. Make sure you highly consider the implications of your creation in your neighborhood. While it may be have good intentions there can be many negatives to starting a poorly managed non profit.

With that being said, yes this would be a wonderful non clinical EC, especially if it is a huge passion of yours that fills the needs of your community. Also your interest in politics can be considered a hobby unless you actually work with/for an organization, run campaigns, etc.

So you're really dedicated to your community but you have to ask if you need more stuff to impress admissions committees...hm. Sounds like your commitment is disingenuous. If you were really that dedicated, you wouldn't even consider the med school angle; you'd just go and do the best thing. Oftentimes that is NOT starting a random 501(c)(3) when the same goals could be accomplished by partnering with an already existing organization.

Why is your work in politics not an EC? Unless you mean "involved" as in you're glued to cable channels watching debates and firing online comments on Politico articles..

How did you start? I have a plan to start a pantry or soup kitchen since there isn't one in my area but have no idea how to start. :p
Social media, , and getting a trustworthy team of professionals on my side.
So you're really dedicated to your community but you have to ask if you need more stuff to impress admissions committees...hm. Sounds like your commitment is disingenuous. If you were really that dedicated, you wouldn't even consider the med school angle; you'd just go and do the best thing. Oftentimes that is NOT starting a random 501(c)(3) when the same goals could be accomplished by partnering with an already existing organization.

Why is your work in politics not an EC? Unless you mean "involved" as in you're glued to cable channels watching debates and firing online comments on Politico articles..
It's not that; I just don't want to hurt my med school admissions chances by doing something I am passionate about.
Of course, ultimately I'd rather dedicate myself to this and if I don't get in because of EC list oh well. can't please everyone

Well I figure one must stay neutral because some adcoms may be liberal, others conservative? I don't want to offend anyone.. And I actually campaign, door knocking, sign waving, etc

Well.. my thoughts for you are;
So AdComs like volunteering, etc, etc..

So.. Starting a non-profit, etc, etc.. (or something like that, etc..) Will probably look good to them..

It's impressive; that you want to save your community, etc, etc.. i'm sure that; the community will appreciate your hard work

(BUT I'm not sure.. That since the group actually exists.. but is not a non-profit yet.. MAYBE it will look better to AdComs if it's officially actually a non-profit..)

it's good; that you are doing something; you are passionate about.. you are right can't please everyone, etc etc

Well.. my thoughts for you are;
So AdComs like volunteering, etc, etc..

So.. Starting a non-profit, etc, etc.. (or something like that, etc..) Will probably look good to them..

It's impressive; that you want to save your community, etc, etc.. i'm sure that; the community will appreciate your hard work

(BUT I'm not sure.. That since the group actually exists.. but is not a non-profit yet.. MAYBE it will look better to AdComs if it's officially actually a non-profit..)

it's good; that you are doing something; you are passionate about.. you are right can't please everyone, etc etc

Non-Profits are expensive; I'll need at least 400 to get to the status.
It's not at the stage yet though, currently it's most doing rallies/awareness activities. Baby steps though.. Hope the group becomes a major success, if not oh well.. You fail once, you try again.

It's not that; I just don't want to hurt my med school admissions chances by doing something I am passionate about.

I'm sorry, but this is a really stupid thing to say. You should pursue and do things you love to do. I don't understand how this harms your chances in any way, especially if you're already doing the generic clinical ECs med schools look for. This just strengthens your application even more. Aren't you that guy who's entering his freshman year of college? All this exaggeration and anxiety about marking all the necessary EC check boxes for admission is making me cringe. ECs are a way for you to demonstrate to adcoms that you have the right motives, attitude and work ethic to become a medical student/future physician, not bullet points that you cross off a list as you go through undergrad. :smack:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry, but this is a really stupid thing to say. You should pursue and do things you love to do. I don't understand how this harms your chances in any way, especially if you're already doing the generic clinical ECs med schools look for. This just strengthens your application even more. Aren't you that guy who's entering his freshman year of college? All this exaggeration and anxiety about marking all the necessary EC check boxes for admission is making me cringe. ECs are a way for you to demonstrate to adcoms that you have the right motives, attitude and work ethic to become a medical student/future physician, not bullet points that you cross off a list as you go through undergrad. :smack:
I'm crossing off no lists..

Volunteering is a part of my grand political philosophy
I strongly believe in volunteering. I refuse government assistance and I believe government should have no roll.. Rather the citizens should band together, hand in hand(unless they are contagious with some disease) uniting as one for the greater cause
hitting two birds with one stone though is my concern

I'm crossing off no lists..

Volunteering is a part of my grand political philosophy
I strongly believe in volunteering. I refuse government assistance and I believe government should have no roll.. Rather the citizens should band together, hand in hand(unless they are contagious with some disease) uniting as one for the greater cause
hitting two birds with one stone though is my concern

Good for you. That's not what concerns me. It's that you would choose to not do something you love just because it doesn't fit a list of "generic non-clinical ECs."

Good for you. That's not what concerns me. It's that you would choose to not do something you love just because it doesn't fit a list of "generic non-clinical ECs."
I'm not choosing to not do it; Read above.. I said I would rather dedicate myself to this cause and risk entrance into Med School.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not choosing to not do it; Read above.. I said I would rather dedicate myself to this cause and risk entrance into Med School.
It doesn't sound like you're anywhere near the maturity level required to found an organization, much less run it effectively. See if your events and rallies even work first before you daydream big about establishing a 501(c)(3)

If you're actually involved meaningfully in political activities, you should state so when it comes time to apply in 3-5 years. The fact that you think people will be offended that you help with campaigns reiterates my point about maturity. You're undercooked and your thoughts are a bit sophomoric.

Also lol stop worrying about adcoms when you're just starting college man. Gun less, try harder.

It doesn't sound like you're anywhere near the maturity level required to found an organization, much less run it effectively. See if your events and rallies even work first before you daydream big about establishing a 501(c)(3)

If you're actually involved meaningfully in political activities, you should state so when it comes time to apply in 3-5 years. The fact that you think people will be offended that you help with campaigns reiterates my point about maturity. You're undercooked and your thoughts are a bit sophomoric.

Also lol stop worrying about adcoms when you're just starting college man. Gun less, try harder.
TO make such a large judgment without evening knowing anything about my group is ignorant..
I have over a hundred members... Just saying

didnt read most of the post but please save me the BS this is done to look good for medical school if it helps your community its a extra bonus so dont act like you are doing it for the good of the community

TO make such a large judgment without evening knowing anything about my group is ignorant..
I have over a hundred members... Just saying
I'm not interested in arguing...

I made a statement about your personal characteristics based on the stuff you've said in this thread and elsewhere. You countered with a statement about your group's size. See the disconnect? This epitomizes my point about your maturity. You felt the need to establish your group's authority when I wasn't even commenting on the organization itself. I was talking about YOU.

I don't believe you're ready to take on the responsibility that comes with ESTABLISHING a 501(c)(3). Starting a non-profit doesn't just mean running a school club. You don't sound mature enough to go to the next step, so focus on what you're doing now first and don't daydream too far.

If this was something you really cared about and passionate about you would do it and not care about how medical school would view it .. Spear me OP

I made a statement about your personal characteristics based on the stuff you've said in this thread and elsewhere. You countered with a statement about your group's size. See the disconnect? This epitomizes my point about your maturity. You felt the need to establish your group's authority when I wasn't even commenting on the organization itself. I was talking about YOU.

I don't believe you're ready to take on the responsibility that comes with ESTABLISHING a 501(c)(3). Starting a non-profit doesn't just mean running a school club. You don't sound mature enough to go to the next step, so focus on what you're doing now first and don't daydream too far.

I'll do what I want and not listen to you.
#1: Not a school club
#2: I have professionals with connections to thousands helping me
#3: To even think you can understand my "maturity" from some random posts on SDN is hilarious.. I won't even bother addressing this..

If this was something you really cared about and passionate about you would do it and not care about how medical school would view it .. Spear me OP
Yes, I would do it. It's already off the ground, running and moving.. No going back, and no intentions to go back.

@avgn I would prefer that you ask me questions, and not just assume stuff about me/my group. I think that would show some maturity from your part.. Just saying

OP I think you would get more help if you didnt try to come across as a altruistic individual just ask the question and move on .. Dont act like you are trying to save your community when you are worrying how medical schools will view it .. You say you are well educated when it comes to politics so you know how people view individuals who try to misrepresent themselves ..

And if thats not your intentions the way you worded that sentence made it looked that way

I'll do what I want and not listen to you.
#1: Not a school club
#2: I have professionals with connections to thousands helping me
#3: To even think you can understand my "maturity" from some random posts on SDN is hilarious.. I won't even bother addressing this..

Yes, I would do it. It's already off the ground, running and moving.. No going back, and no intentions to go back.

Reactions: 1 user
OP I think you would get more help if you didnt try to come across as a altruistic individual just ask the question and move on .. Dont act like you are trying to save your community when you are worrying how medical schools will view it .. You say you are well educated when it comes to politics so you know how people view individuals who try to misrepresent themselves ..
Donald Trump right? lol

LOL DAm straight he says he is rich a million times while Mitt romney said he buys his clothes from costco you see which one people gravitate towards (both are dingus)

LOL DAm straight he says he is rich a million times while Mitt romney said he buys his clothes from costco you see which one people gravitate towards (both are dingus)
Trump buys his suits off the rack, very modest lol
(ignoring the fact his helicopter has gold plated buckles)