Starting New Job: Before or After Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the board exam will be offered to graduating residents in that first week of August how is everyone going to schedule the start of their new job?

On one hand I hate to be moving and starting a new job with a steep learning curve (likely) for the 5 weeks before I take my board certification exam. Even 4 weeks and then a week of vacation (if they'll give you the week before off) may be rough. Probably not a lot of effective studying will go on during those 4 weeks.

On the other hand it's kind of hard to live for 5 weeks w/o income especially if you've already moved. Plus I would imagine most employers are hoping for new grads to start in July.

Any thoughts on how to work this new board schedule?

Lefty

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting a couple weeks after boards. Its just not worth it to me to start a new job in a new city just before boards. I am staying put until its over. Then I have a couple weeks to move and get acclimated before starting work. I got a bonus to live on while I'm not working

Although I took the exam in mid July last year, I did not start my job until late August. I wanted some time for myself. I went abroad, got myself moved/settled in, and just took a break from residency. I did have to go those 2 months without income and I had to buy my own health insurance to fill the gap, but I think it was well worth it. The group had a guy retire in June, so they had a rough summer, but it was part of the negotiation I did.

I personally would not want to get caught up in transitioning to a new job as well as being a new attending, and have to study for the boards at the same time. That may be too much going on at one time. However, if you need the money, then you have to work.

Inquire about your group's 401K or profit sharing plan. Some plans allow you to join this plan only on certain times of the year, and this may influence your start date. One of the groups I interviewed at said you can only join the profit-sharing plan on July 1 or January 1. This was a shady group, and I knew I wasn't going there anyway, but just something to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think whether or not to start work before boards depends on the individual and his or her circumstances. In the past, it was very easy just to take two weeks off to study, take the exam mid-July and then start the job. Holding it in early August makes the decision harder.

For me personally, I have had success with the inservice exams (passed after CA-1 and CA-2 years) and have fairly good study habits (spend about an hour a day on board review, more on weekends) so I'm going to jump in and start my private practice job halfway across the country on July 14th and take boards on August 4th.

For someone who has floundered on the inservice exams or who doesn't read a whole lot, it would probably be in their interest to take more intensive time to study for boards. Other people have the financial resources (savings, spouse who works too) to take a long break just for kicks and thats fine too.

An option is to start your job on July 1st in order to get the pay and be involved in the 401K/profit sharing plan and then negotiate to get vacation time to study for the boards 1-2 weeks out.

An option is to start your job on July 1st in order to get the pay and be involved in the 401K/profit sharing plan and then negotiate to get vacation time to study for the boards 1-2 weeks out.

Why would you waste vacation time right away? My plan is to do a week or two of locums then start the real job at some point after boards. 1400/day times two weeks is plenty to get by on for a month or two. Sarting the 401k stuff a few months earlier makes no difference in the end.

Oh man, I feel really bad for you guys that the boards aren't until August - I could not WAIT to just take the damn thing and get it over with.
I graduated June 30, 2006, took the boards I believe on Saturday, July 8, and start on Monday, July 10th.
Advantages - 1. MONEY. God did I need a paycheck 2. Stress of starting a new job meant I couldn't sit and obsess about whether or not I passed.

Why would you waste vacation time right away? My plan is to do a week or two of locums then start the real job at some point after boards. 1400/day times two weeks is plenty to get by on for a month or two. Sarting the 401k stuff a few months earlier makes no difference in the end.

As stated previously, some jobs only have enrollment into the 401k plan if you start on a specific date, particularly July 1st. It would not be a waste of vacation time for those folks who are borderline in passing the written boards. It could mean a few hundred thousand dollars if you do fail and wait another year.