Job Satisfaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some input and wisdom. I started a new job a couple of years ago, can't complain about compensation, vacation, benefits, or hours and I know that I won't find a job with a similar package around the area where I want to stay BUT the issue is that the job isn't fulfilling, weak department, weak to non-existent leadership, poor communication, the chair of the group is slowing down, so doesn't care much and the culture overall is more CRNA friendly that it needs to be, simply for the lack of the Anesthesiologists leadership, with a culture that's very hard to change.

Unfortunately, I currently have the mentality of a shift worker, just show up, do my job and go home. This has worked for me over the past couple of years but recently has been more disgruntled.

My question is what should really drive job satisfaction,if you have to choose, the "package" or being part of a strong respected department, and involved in running and improving the practice

In other words, should I consider looking for another job?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get some input and wisdom. I started a new job a couple of years ago, can't complain about compensation, vacation, benefits, or hours and I know that I won't find a job with a similar package around the area where I want to stay BUT the issue is that the job isn't fulfilling, weak department, weak to non-existent leadership, poor communication, the chair of the group is slowing down, so doesn't care much and the culture overall is more CRNA friendly that it needs to be, simply for the lack of the Anesthesiologists leadership, with a culture that's very hard to change.

Unfortunately, I currently have the mentality of a shift worker, just show up, do my job and go home. This has worked for me over the past couple of years but recently has been more disgruntled.

My question is what should really drive job satisfaction,if you have to choose, the "package" or being part of a strong respected department, and involved in running and improving the practice

Throw your hat in the ring to be the new chair?

Reactions: 6 users
somebody in the recent 2023 pain fellowship match thread says he does anesthesia , no nights/weekends/calls, and makes 7 figures. i'd say that would make anyone very satisfied, shift work or not.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

lots of departments are like this, the majority i would argue..

you cant change the way our system works, just take excellent care of each of YOUR patients and dont worry about what else goes on outside of your control.

Reactions: 5 users
If you are unhappy and think things can’t change then you should start looking for another job. Unfortunately, in anesthesia as the rest of medicine as a whole, we are not good keeping departmental leadership strong and active. It sounds like you need younger leaders for your department. How do other people in your department feel? Is there someone you think could step into the role? At this point you would need to play politics…get enough people behind a replacement department chair. It’s probably wise to do it on the down low first because current chair could have enough power to make your life a little worse. You have to decide if it’s worth the trouble.

On paper (and in real life) I have a good job for the work hours and extremely limited calls I do and it’s not even real calls. It’s just daytime weekend shift to 3pm on weekends every 2-3 months. Total of 4-5 times a year and someone else will do it for u for the extra money on weekends as well.

I work between 34-38 hours most weeks. No nights. Make mid 400s with access to state pension 403/457b plans. So literally can put away 70k Roth/pretax myself plus employer match.

But there are people are my work place who aren’t satisfied. And it’s not even the money. Or the perks. It’s because we work mainly Monday -Friday plus 2-3 weekdays off a month. People prefer to work 3-4 days max during the week so prefer 6-8 days off each month. That would be the prefect job.

Nothing is perfect. I worked
9 hours Monday
5 hours Tuesday
9 hours Wednesday
5 hours Thursday
6.5 hours Friday

My co workers had similar hours. Yet half of them aren’t happy.

And we only supervise 1:2 or do own cases 10-20% of the time.

But I get it. People need time off. Showing up is 90% of the game. But people also don’t want to take overnight in house or even beeper call. And that’s the trade off.

We work basically a VA type of schedule with state govt benefits. It’s not bad. We are fully staffed. But we all would like to have 6-8 days (weekdays) off instead of 2-3 weekdays off each month

So even people at my work place aren’t satisfied.

But they aren’t gonna to leave. Cause they know 4 other docs are lining up to take the job if they leave.

Grass is rarely greener on the other side (at my place) unless you really want to crank up your income. And 90% of the docs at my place don’t need the money. But they want the time off.

If you are unhappy and think things can’t change then you should start looking for another job. Unfortunately, in anesthesia as the rest of medicine as a whole, we are not good keeping departmental leadership strong and active. It sounds like you need younger leaders for your department. How do other people in your department feel? Is there someone you think could step into the role? At this point you would need to play politics…get enough people behind a replacement department chair. It’s probably wise to do it on the down low first because current chair could have enough power to make your life a little worse. You have to decide if it’s worth the trouble.
Leadership is actually pretty good. It’s a job few people here want. They are doing their best to hold things together with the cards they’ve been dealt. I don’t think the group itself is any more dysfunctional than a lot of others I’ve interviewed with. It’s an admin battle we are losing.

I think they are scared to push too hard because the system has had several requests for proposals the past couple years and the thought is they are close to handing the whole thing off. Maybe that wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Leadership is actually pretty good. It’s a job few people here want. They are doing their best to hold things together with the cards they’ve been dealt. I don’t think the group itself is any more dysfunctional than a lot of others I’ve interviewed with. It’s an admin battle we are losing.

I think they are scared to push too hard because the system has had several requests for proposals the past couple years and the thought is they are close to handing the whole thing off. Maybe that wouldn’t be the worst thing.

To who? No one has extra people laying around and replacing a group is very tough. It would take years and lead to instability meaning anesthesiologists and surgeons leave. Your bargaining power has never been better

Reactions: 3 users
To who? No one has extra people laying around and replacing a group is very tough. It would take years and lead to instability meaning anesthesiologists and surgeons leave. Your bargaining power has never been better
Hospital administrators are pretty stupid. They really are. But it’s like nba and football and mlb teams who keep hiring the same amc over and over again.

Case in point big amc 1 withdraws because hospital won’t give them further subsidy.

Big amc 2 comes in and says they all take contract. But claim they need 3 years to stabilize it. Hospital says ok. And also agrees to pay 100% of Locums cost while letting big amc 2 keep all the billing.

So hospital went from using 3 locums docs and 8 locums crna with big amc 1. To now using 5 locums docs and 11 locums crna daily.

Big amc 2 loses $0 cause they have a 3 year guarantee.

Hospital executive who negotiated the deal has already transferred out for another promotion.

That’s the ineptitude going on these days.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Hospital executive who negotiated the deal has already transferred out for another promotion.
This is so true. At a prior job there was a total psycho inept administrator we had to deal with. I googled her recently out of morbid curiosity and see she’s moved onto another hospital - as the CEO!

Reactions: 2 users
This is so true. At a prior job there was a total psycho inept administrator we had to deal with. I googled her recently out of morbid curiosity and see she’s moved onto another hospital - as the CEO!

Meanwhile doctors are not allowed to own hospitals due to conflict of interest from being profit oriented leading to decreased patient safety and increased self referrals... oh wait that's exactly what's happening now

Hospital administrators are pretty stupid. They really are. But it’s like nba and football and mlb teams who keep hiring the same amc over and over again.

Case in point big amc 1 withdraws because hospital won’t give them further subsidy.

Big amc 2 comes in and says they all take contract. But claim they need 3 years to stabilize it. Hospital says ok. And also agrees to pay 100% of Locums cost while letting big amc 2 keep all the billing.

So hospital went from using 3 locums docs and 8 locums crna with big amc 1. To now using 5 locums docs and 11 locums crna daily.

Big amc 2 loses $0 cause they have a 3 year guarantee.

That’s the ineptitude going on these days.

Good for locum business.

Reactions: 1 users
somebody in the recent 2023 pain fellowship match thread says he does anesthesia , no nights/weekends/calls, and makes 7 figures. i'd say that would make anyone very satisfied, shift work or not.
I doubt it

Reactions: 3 users
You underestimate how desperate some hospitals are.
When you have an anesthesia group pull out of a hospital, they're gonna pay top dollar to get anyone
See: San Diego, Fort Worth, Seattle, etc.
I initially thought this was BS but if this were as a locum it is possible. $450/hr x 10hr shifts x 44 weeks per year puts you right there.