Starting salary of a hospital pharmacist declines...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend told me his hospital hiring a per diem pharmacist (in Southern California) and the starting rate is at 51 dollars/hr. Meanwhile, I saw this article yesterday: http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...ital-pharmacists-expected-decline-0?page=full

I am wondering if any of you working in hospitals noticing this trend? Please share...Thanks.
PS: I also posted same copy to prepharm forum to alert them this...just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad.

someone has posted this link before.
basically it will be more work with less reimbursement for pharmacists
amazing how this profession got squeezed this much

Starting salaries are definitely going down at the hospital I work at. PGY2's are now starting for around $49.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friends in so cal inpatient are averaging $63-68/hr non-Kaiser

Nor-Cal average is around $65-75/hr starting

Per-diems generally make 10% more

Reactions: 1 user
California costs higher than the norm, California salary higher than the norm, California pharmacy graduates higher than the norm, California temps higher than the norm!

Gotta love California! Which has higher cost of living, LA or SF?

Reactions: 1 user
Is this staff or clinical pharmacists as well?

California costs higher than the norm, California salary higher than the norm, California pharmacy graduates higher than the norm, California temps higher than the norm!

Gotta love California! Which has higher cost of living, LA or SF?

SF, by far.

My friends in so cal inpatient are averaging $63-68/hr non-Kaiser

Nor-Cal average is around $65-75/hr starting

Per-diems generally make 10% more
I understand. But you probably know that the starting salary for a pharmacist at each hospital is different from one to another. My place started around 55 /hr (when I got hired)...but we never had an open position (nor raise) since my last hiring. At the same time, a friend of mine got in Kaiser for 68/hr, and another guy got in at a chain hospital at 50 dollars/hr. Such huge gap. I am just curious about other places...as I think our starting salary is likely to drop in near future...or already dropping.

Hybrid position in the Midwest - we offer new grads $98,000 now. Down from $110,000 2 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I understand. But you probably know that the starting salary for a pharmacist at each hospital is different from one to another. My place started around 55 /hr (when I got hired)...but we never had an open position (nor raise) since my last hiring. At the same time, a friend of mine got in Kaiser for 68/hr, and another guy got in at a chain hospital at 50 dollars/hr. Such huge gap. I am just curious about other places...as I think our starting salary is likely to drop in near future...or already dropping.

Yup it is institution specific, I'm just listing averages. But the wild card is total compensation package, including retirement matches, 457(b) or other deferred compensation, etc... That $50hr might be equivalent to a lot more if you factor that in. This makes it tough to make an apples to apples comparison.

I got a clinical position in the south- $115k.

Erm, how about: housing prices are also higher than the norm, natural disasters higher than the norm, unemployment higher than the norm?
Don't take me wrong; I love warm weather, too, but these things deter me from moving to CA.

I don't know about the natural disasters. When was the last time someone died from a natural disaster in California? When there is an earthquake, it becomes international news even though no one was injured because it is California.

Besides if you are doing well and you have a good job, do you really care about the higher unemployment rate? I think California is also very lenient when it comes to unemployment benefits and other state benefits that may discourage someone from looking for work.

Housing is more expensive here but that is the price you pay for living close to the beach, the mountain and for living in an international city like LA, SF and SD.

Erm, how about: housing prices are also higher than the norm, natural disasters higher than the norm, unemployment higher than the norm?
Don't take me wrong; I love warm weather, too, but these things deter me from moving to CA.

I don't know about you, but the unemployment rate in my area is like 4%. Maybe if you live in the farm regions the unemployment rate is extremely high due to the drought...but are you a farmer?