State school prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leehrat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm looking for advice from anyone who's been in a situation similar to mine. i've considered doing a formal postbacc at a private school but financially that's not really an option right now so i've decided to take the prereqs at my state school instead.

the only problem is that they don't allow you to receive financial aid if you already have a BA and are just there to take classes; you have to be enrolled in a degree program to get financial aid. i have no intention of completing the requirements for a BA in Biology, but i told the school's admissions office to enroll me in that program just so i could get the loans. i'm planning to start taking the prereqs full-time, be done by spring 07, and then just drop out.

so onto my question: has anyone here done this? are there any negative consequences associated with it? i don't feel guilty since i'm not looking for scholarship or grant aid, i just want to be able to take out loans..thanks!

Members don't see this ad.