State School vs. Community college for pre-reqs in Illinois?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the beginning of my premed journey, having had to defer admission to two post bacc programs I got into last year, and then a different one in another state this year (family reasons). Then I had to drop out of community college classes this semester due to identity theft.

Luckily I got hired as an EMT in training at a pretty respectable ambulance company so I am super stoked about stacking paper at the present moment ($$$$), plus accumulating clinical hours for ECs after I pass the national exam, and being able to pay my way through my premed as an EMT-Basic.

Here's what I'm looking at. In hand, got an acceptance to Loyola University's post-bacc. I'm supposed to start Summer 2016 but I'm going to see if I can defer until Fall 2016.

Next semester (Spring 2016) I want to take Pre-Calc, Biology 1, and Chemistry 1 at my Chicago Community College. I'm considering take these classes at UIC (my state school) since community colleges are not looked favorably upon by adcoms.

But I feel I won't be able to get the full experience if I take classes at UIC because from what I hear there are large lectures in the sciences in concrete prison looking buildings, the professors don't care, and the classes/labs are taught by T.A.s who are difficult to understand because for many English isn't their first language.

The community college is opening a brand new building in Chicago's Medical District. It is known as the health sciences community college campus and this building will feature sparkling brand new labs, classrooms, etc. At least around here, it has a good reputation.

Can't I just take classes there this Spring 2016 and Summer 2016 (Calculus 1) and then suck it up and pay for Loyola for Fall 2016? Or would adcoms not be favorable to that?

I'm seriously hoping my URM/low SES status works in my favor on this one. And the fact that I won't be going back to community college - this will just be a jumping off point.

I intend to go to a good medical school and I am looking into out of state schools so if "no community college" is a hard and fast rule, I will just go to UIC with their dilapidated facilities and higher price tag for a semester. :-(

current stats:
no science/math yet
cGPA: 3.34
gGPA: 3.45
lots of volunteer and leadership ECs
one foreign language
URM/low SES/kick-ass attitude

Members don't see this ad.

I've browsed those forums at length. I guess in the end, it's a personal decision and I'm going to accept whatever consequences to which it leads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've browsed those forums at length. I guess in the end, it's a personal decision and I'm going to accept whatever consequences to which it leads.

Ahh okay, yea. It would probably help to call or shoot an email to academic advising at the postbacc that you eventually plan to attend. They're generally pretty in-the-know about these things.

I'm at the beginning of my premed journey, having had to defer admission to two post bacc programs I got into last year, and then a different one in another state this year (family reasons). Then I had to drop out of community college classes this semester due to identity theft.

Luckily I got hired as an EMT in training at a pretty respectable ambulance company so I am super stoked about stacking paper at the present moment ($$$$), plus accumulating clinical hours for ECs after I pass the national exam, and being able to pay my way through my premed as an EMT-Basic.

Here's what I'm looking at. In hand, got an acceptance to Loyola University's post-bacc. I'm supposed to start Summer 2016 but I'm going to see if I can defer until Fall 2016.

Next semester (Spring 2016) I want to take Pre-Calc, Biology 1, and Chemistry 1 at my Chicago Community College. I'm considering take these classes at UIC (my state school) since community colleges are not looked favorably upon by adcoms.

But I feel I won't be able to get the full experience if I take classes at UIC because from what I hear there are large lectures in the sciences in concrete prison looking buildings, the professors don't care, and the classes/labs are taught by T.A.s who are difficult to understand because for many English isn't their first language.

The community college is opening a brand new building in Chicago's Medical District. It is known as the health sciences community college campus and this building will feature sparkling brand new labs, classrooms, etc. At least around here, it has a good reputation.

Can't I just take classes there this Spring 2016 and Summer 2016 (Calculus 1) and then suck it up and pay for Loyola for Fall 2016? Or would adcoms not be favorable to that?

I'm seriously hoping my URM/low SES status works in my favor on this one. And the fact that I won't be going back to community college - this will just be a jumping off point.

I intend to go to a good medical school and I am looking into out of state schools so if "no community college" is a hard and fast rule, I will just go to UIC with their dilapidated facilities and higher price tag for a semester. :-(

current stats:
no science/math yet
cGPA: 3.34
gGPA: 3.45
lots of volunteer and leadership ECs
one foreign language
URM/low SES/kick-ass attitude

Although schools accept community college credits, most schools expect you to minimize pre-requisites at Community College. At SUNY Upstate, they made it clear that more than 2 prerequisites at Community College is considered a red-flag for the committee.

Although schools accept community college credits, most schools expect you to minimize pre-requisites at Community College. At SUNY Upstate, they made it clear that more than 2 prerequisites at Community College is considered a red-flag for the committee.

I think it depends on the school and your personal situation. I took all of my pre-req at a cc except orgo and I have an interview at a top 20 school. However on that note I have all A's on for all of them

I think it depends on the school and your personal situation. I took all of my pre-req at a cc except orgo and I have an interview at a top 20 school. However on that note I have all A's on for all of them

that is my point, if she takes CC, which is fine and I have nothing against it, she runs into the risk of being deemed uncompetitive. However, since OP is in Illinois, I am sure she won't have any business at SUNY Upstate

that is my point, if she takes CC, which is fine and I have nothing against it, she runs into the risk of being deemed uncompetitive. However, since OP is in Illinois, I am sure she won't have any business at SUNY Upstate
I wasn't disagreeing with what you wrote, was only adding to it.

Reactions: 1 user