Statement about specific research interests for future PI...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rambo

Slightly Evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from someone who I thought would never get back to me regarding an opening at a research facility. He said he would like to meet with me and that I should get him a "statement about the specific types of projects in which you would be interested". I'm not quite sure how to take this. The whole center does similar research, but I suppose I'm supposed to go into what type. Has anyone done anything similar to this? (What is the length, focus, audience?) Help appreciated.

;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I think you first need to have a grasp of the type of research done by your PI. Look his/her name up on PubMed and see if they have published recently. Read their papers and understand what their interests are. I'm pretty sure this is the PIs way of getting rid of flaky undergrads who will only stay for a semester or quarter.

Then, I would go into what you're interested in, maybe the PI is having grant writer's block and is simply seeing what people are interested in. Regardless, say your interested in learning about academia in terms of research and how you think you will apply it to your future career. If you are looking for lingo to throw around, PM me. Good Luck