Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is no such stigma attached to IMGs or to DOs. This is just a case of gossip. The amount of IMGs and DOs practising in North America is a testament to this fact.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten any rejections from UCD and/or TCD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, yes, i got my UCD rejection letter from ABP.

Might I ask when, rosexx?

For TCD applicants: Apparently, TCD has not released any rejections.

I have the same question rosexx! When did you get your rejection?!

Has anyone got a rejection from UCC ?!

Offline PK&SpringButterfly:

It was Monday! I had to ask ABP what the status of my application was to get an answer.

Here was the 2 part email:
"UCD has already extended 2nd round offers, but unfortunately you did not receive an offer. It's unclear if there will be another round although your application is still active there."

Then a day later -

"Letters from UCD are just going in the mail. They were, unfortunately, unable to extend an offer to you. I have attached a copy in case your letter is still en-route."

Hope that helps!!! :)

Last edited:
Thanks very much, rosexx. I'll have to send them an email...

Rejection: UCD dated May 31. TCD remains, but my optimism does not.

Best of luck to those waitlisted.

Last edited:
That's bizarre. There's no single person in this thread who's received an offer for the 6-year course from UCD!

Thanks rosexx!

I don't understand why ABP waits for you to email them!!! Why don't they just email your letters once they receive them!!

I sent them an email and will see what happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody, this is my first post here.

It looks like some of you are in the same boat as me...

This is what's going on with my application at the Irish schools so far:

NUIG -- No word yet
RCSI -- No word yet
RCSI, Bahrain -- Accepted to 5 year program; letter dated 05/26/2013
TCD -- No word yet
UCC -- No word yet
UCD -- No word yet
UL -- Rejected; envelope dated 05/20/2013

I emailed AB to ask about my application status at the "no word yet" schools. I will post their reply once I get it. I'm not very optimistic at this point... As far as RCSI-Bahrain goes, I'm not sure if I want to attend. I'm still researching the option.

Some good news is that I got accepted to the University of Queensland in Australia. I'm still waiting to hear back from the University of Sydney.

Are there any other Canadians/Americans on this thread that are also applying to Australia for 2014???

Good luck everybody!

First time on this thread but seems as though everyone is in the same boat as me. Makes the waiting game a bit easier I guess but still sucks to wait and not know!

I have received rejections from Galway and Limerick within the past few weeks but still no word from UCD, Trinity, RCSI or UCC for their Graduate Entry programs. Similar to responses received from others, when I emailed ABP, they responded saying 2nd round offers for RCSI, Trinity, and UCD in addition to 1st round offers from Cork had all been extended and that I had not received anything. But my applications were still active and they just didn't know where I stood at each school. Wish I had more info!

Hey everybody,

AB got back to me regarding my application. This is what they said:

"You file is still active at UCC, UCD, Trinity, NUIG and RCSI. NUIG, RCSI and Trinity have extended 2nd round offers and UCD 3rd round. Unfortunately, you did not receive an offer. It is unclear if there will be additional rounds; however, no final decision has yet been made on your application at any of these schools."

BUMMER. What else can I say? Must continue waiting.

Got this reply from ABP
"There are no new updates on your file, as UCD, TCD and UCC have not made a final decision regarding your application. Hang in there."

I wish if they gave me rejections! I'm done waiting!

Having 3/4 rejections in hand is satisfying. At least I can move on.

Having 3/4 rejections in hand is satisfying. At least I can move on.

I feel bad that Atlantic Bridge let you on and made you feel like you have a chance. The truth is there are over 1100 applicants for roughly 300 spots (GEP, and undergrad med spots). They are the main filter of applicant data to the schools and everything is done by email / phone - all acceptance packages or rejection letters are originated from them. ABP does most of the selecting despite them saying otherwise - the schools contract them to do this and they make a cut of the tuition - so if they choose your application to be forwarded to RCSI or TCD your chances of acceptance or interview to these places is pretty much guaranteed.

If you are still keen on applying internationally, you'll have better luck with OQ-Ochsner, BGU-MSIH, and SGU/Ross. Otherwise, do an SMP, apply DO, and stay in the US. For future applicants, if you are willing enough to go abroad for medicine don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially with Atlantic Bridge Program. Nowadays, I'd recommend doing everything you can to boost your application to study medicine in your home country. Please take a look at this recent article in NEJM posted this month if you are a US citizen considering going abroad for medicine:

NEJM: The Residency Mismatch
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1306445

Good luck, Offline PK.

Atlantic Bridge lacks transparency in their operation. In my personal experience I've found them to act more like salespeople than a medical school admissions agency. To me its unacceptable.

I also think they play a role in the admissions process, even though they claim not to. In fact I'm convinced of it.

Moreover, once you accept an offer I think they notify all of the other schools that you have applied to, and rejection letters quickly follow.

I feel bad that Atlantic Bridge let you on and made you feel like you have a chance. The truth is there are over 1100 applicants for roughly 300 spots (GEP, and undergrad med spots). They are the main filter of applicant data to the schools and everything is done by email / phone - all acceptance packages or rejection letters are originated from them. ABP does most of the selecting despite them saying otherwise - the schools contract them to do this and they make a cut of the tuition - so if they choose your application to be forwarded to RCSI or TCD your chances of acceptance or interview to these places is pretty much guaranteed.

If you are still keen on applying internationally, you'll have better luck with OQ-Ochsner, BGU-MSIH, and SGU/Ross. Otherwise, do an SMP, apply DO, and stay in the US. For future applicants, if you are willing enough to go abroad for medicine don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially with Atlantic Bridge Program. Nowadays, I'd recommend doing everything you can to boost your application to study medicine in your home country. Please take a look at this recent article in NEJM posted this month if you are a US citizen considering going abroad for medicine:

NEJM: The Residency Mismatch
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1306445

Good luck, Offline PK.

Thank you all for your insight. I have always suspected the ABP operates with ulterior motives. Their interest in student selection is rooted in profit, not rank or stature. Given the number of applicants from within Ireland and all over the world, it isn't farfetched to believe that they themselves are a pre-selection committee for US applicants, though they will not disclose this to potential applicants (for obvious reasons.) My applications were not on a whim, but nearly. I am lacking a few pre-requisite courses. I'll be finishing these in the next year at a postbacc program, and will apply for US MD/PhD programs and re-apply to all of the Irish schools next year.

Best of luck to those waiting

Last edited:
Those last two posts crush my soul.

Don't get me wrong. You can still get into medical schools via the Atlantic Bridge. Just make sure you take everything they tell you with a grain of salt, and ask for confirmation from the universities on everything.

No final decision from Trinity as of yet. Would I be wrong in assuming TCD has yet to issue any rejections?

This is seriously weird. Its almost July, how could they not have issued final decisions?

As it turns out, my assumption would be wrong. ABP states TCD has indeed issued rejections.

I still haven't heard back from any other schools besides Limerick (rejection). ABP still says I'm being considered etc. but I have lost faith and accepted a Mater's program. I don't think I will apply to Ireland again and focus on improving my MCAT and getting accepted to a Canadian school. Best of luck to those still in the running.

Same here! I had 3 rejections waiting for 3 decisions!
Accepted a master's offer and waiting for 2 other masters ,,, gave up hope on Ireland and I will focus on improving my MCAT and apply to American schools

I still haven't heard back from any other schools besides Limerick (rejection). ABP still says I'm being considered etc. but I have lost faith and accepted a Mater's program. I don't think I will apply to Ireland again and focus on improving my MCAT and getting accepted to a Canadian school. Best of luck to those still in the running.

FYI the deadline for us to pay tuition (at least at RCSI) is August 1, so there's still time for those who were accepted and paid the deposit to back out (e.g. Ontario waitlists have been known to go well into August so someone could still get in at home). I'm guessing that's why some still have "active" applications. If people don't pay tuition by that date, then the spots open up. Good luck to those still waiting.

Last edited:
This is what I got today form ABP regarding my application:

"Sorry, but no new updates on your file since our last email conversation. Your file is still active at UCC, UCD and Trinity so there is yet to be a final determination on your application at any of these schools. We expect additional updates soon. Take care."

I gave up hope on Ireland ... for now I'm getting ready to go to Boston University for a M.S. Healthcare Emergency Management ... waiting for Tufts & Drexel to decide on my application!

I don't think I have luck at Irish schools this year! I'm applying to U.S. med schools for fall 2015 after finishing either BU HEM, Drexel MBS or Tufts MBS!

I hope everyone secured a place & got a backup plan!

Edit: Rejection, TCD dated July 2nd. That's it for me this cycle, I'll be reapplying to US programs and all of the Irish schools come this time next year. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Offline PK, good luck and do not give up. There is always a program that suits you. I think you should do some research into DO program. You will probably find out that being DO is probably better than an IMG, especially in terms of residency program application. Take care.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard from the dental schools in Ireland? I applied to UCC and Trinity but havent heard anything yet.

Hey, I haven't heard back from dental schools in Ireland yet either, but I know 2 people who have in this forum

I hope we hear from them soon. Its mid July already!!

Finally, an email from Atlantic Bridge that was not a response to an email I had sent them asking for an update!

Accepted to UCD GEM 2017! Acceptance dated today, July 16. Such a relief and very exciting! Still have other acceptances on the table, mainly the TeAMS program at the Technion in Israel, so have to weigh the options. This is going to be a difficult decision. Hope responses start coming soon for others waiting!

I just got my rejection for Dental and Medical school from UCC today :(

I just got rejection letters from UCC and TCD. That leaves me with RCSI and UCD.

I have received rejections from NUIG, UCC and UL :( but no word on TCD, RCSI or UCD. Hopefully we'll have good news by August!

I have received rejections from NUIG, UCC and UL :( but no word on TCD, RCSI or UCD. Hopefully we'll have good news by August!

Is it worth studying in NUIG and UCC? Because they're not very well known! :rolleyes:

Is it worth studying in NUIG and UCC? Because they're not very well known! :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with either school. Both will provide a quality medical education. The truth is that no Irish medical school, outside of TCD, will be particularly well-known abroad.

In fact, they're on par with University College Dublin. All 3 used to be under the National University of Ireland moniker, but UCD & UCC adopted their shorter names, and NUIG retained it.

Just received rejection from TCD, only UCD and RCSI left :(

Anyone else get anything (either from AB or the schools) over the last few days???

Rejections from Trinity and RCSI. Have accepted UCD!