Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that you have a good chance to get invited to an Interview with RCSI.
All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from: Nevada (Las Vegas Valley) (originally from Indiana)
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: Post-bac studying science prereqs (just finishing up the last semester of physics now, along with biochem)
At this University: Nevada State College (Completed Georgetown University's Postbac Premed program in the summer of last year)
My GPA is: 3.44 cumulative and 3.63 postbacc GPA (I had a 3 year gap living and working in Tokyo between my undergrad and starting postbac studies.)
My MCAT Scores were: N/A (Applying for 5 year program while studying for the MCAT which I will take in mid May. Won't take it if I get into an Irish 5 year program.)
ECs: 125+ hours volunteering at local hospital in the ER, 20 hours shadowing surgeon, 16 hours shadowing two general practitioners, science tutor at my current college, EMT certification in 2011, worked full time for a year at a local non-profit assisting ex-felons in job application skills

I applied to: NUIG, TCD (both 5 year programs)
I was accepted at: Waiting...
I was waitlisted at: Waiting...
I was rejected from: Nothing yet...

My first choice school is: Either school would be fine with me. I'll have to do more research if I get into both. I'll be applying to Australian and US schools after I take the MCAT. (If I don't get into an Irish school that is.)

I have applied to medical schools this many times: This is my first application year.

Last edited:
I'm from: British Columbia, Canada
My country of citizenship: Canada
Currently studying: High school
My G.P.A is: Canada doesn't use a G.P.A system but the average of my top four academic grade 12 courses is 92%.
My MCAT score: N/A

I applied to: RCSI
I was accepted at: -
I was waitlisted at: -
I was rejected from: -

My first choice school is: RCSI

I have applied to medical schools this many times: Once

What are my chances for RCSI? Also academically, does the admission board put more emphasis on Biology and Chemistry marks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from: British Columbia, Canada
My country of citizenship: Canada
Currently studying: High school
My G.P.A is: Canada doesn't use a G.P.A system but the average of my top four academic grade 12 courses is 92%.
My MCAT score: N/A

I applied to: RCSI
I was accepted at: -
I was waitlisted at: -
I was rejected from: -

My first choice school is: RCSI

I have applied to medical schools this many times: Once

What are my chances for RCSI? Also academically, does the admission board put more emphasis on Biology and Chemistry marks
It's hard to say based on just your marks. What is the overall average for all Grade 12 courses? Also, since most students applying to RCSI from highschool have roughly the same GPA, what are your extracurriculars? You should have many hours volunteering, preferably at a hospital/medical clinic/paramedic/etc.

I have volunteered at a pharmacy and have tutored at a learning center for 95 hours and 90 hours respectively. Extracurricular activities would include band and martial arts.

Hey guys, what do you think of this? Have a chance? Don't have a chance?

I'm from: USA

My country of citizenship is: Saudi Arabia
Currently studying: ( pre-health undergraduate)

Qualifications:
- Nursing diploma from the Middle East.
- 88/100 in High school
- currently 2 years in pre-health ( not very good scores on the last year. My GPA is: 2.5/4 )

My MCAT : Didn't take it

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI, Limerick, UCC, NUIG

I was accepted at: not yet
I was waitlisted at: not yet
I was rejected from: not yet

My first choice school is: any medical school at this point :'(

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

Reactions: 1 user
What are the chances to get into a 5 year program if you're a high school student with a 98% average, with a score of 5 on AP Calculus? Also, should I take the AP Chemistry and Biology exams this year?

What are the chances to get into a 5 year program if you're a high school student with a 98% average, with a score of 5 on AP Calculus? Also, should I take the AP Chemistry and Biology exams this year?

Well i think the 5 year programs require you have APs written or IB or A levels. I think your chances are good assuming you have a lot of ECs to back them up.

I think Irish schools are pretty flexible with what they are willing to look at for admissions. I think AP Chem & Bio would certainly help your application but I'm not sure they're compulsory, but you sound like a pretty smart kid so if you sat them and could get 5s it will only help you.

I would ask Atlantic Bridge if you have to take AP/IB.

I'm from California currently in my 2nd year at a UC school.
GPA is a 3.2, haven't taken MCATs.
My high school marks are quite good. I took 13 APs and 4-5'd all of them except AP Calculus which I failed miserably (1). GPA is a 4.3/4 weighted. I think my unweighted is about a 3.6. 2250 on my SATs. 30 on ACTs. ECs are decent.
I'm wondering if I would have a chance at a 5 year program (I think it's too late for me to apply to the 2014 cycle and that I should shoot for sending in an application for the 2015 cycle). I think my uni GPA is much too low and it's too difficult for me to bring it up by the time I graduate university to make into a 4 year program.

Last edited:
I'm from California currently in my 2nd year at a UC school.
GPA is a 3.2, haven't taken MCATs.
My high school marks are quite good. I took 13 APs and 4-5'd all of them except AP Calculus which I failed miserably (1). GPA is a 4.3/4 weighted. I think my unweighted is about a 3.6. 2250 on my SATs. 30 on ACTs. ECs are decent.
I'm wondering if I would have a chance at a 5 year program (I think it's too late for me to apply to the 2014 cycle and that I should shoot for sending in an application for the 2015 cycle). I think my uni GPA is much too low and it's too difficult for me to bring it up by the time I graduate university to make into a 4 year program.

Your GPA is not too low to bring it up. You are only two years in. Get A's and you can bring that up to a 3.4-3.5 by the time you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know any statistics on the GPAs of North American students who have been accepted into the 5-year programs at NUIG and TCD? I have a 3.45 GPA, and NUIG and TCD are my top choices for med schools.

I personally know one guy that got into 5-year TCD with a 3.4

I just called Atlantic Bridge and was told that RCSI, UCD, UCC, and NUIG have sent out decisions and that we should expect them to arrive some time this week or the next.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

@ enes91 I highly doubt that. Previous years acceptances have gone out in April/May and even June.

@ enes91 I highly doubt that. Previous years acceptances have gone out in April/May and even June.
I just got an email from AB saying that the letters are coming out late March/early April but I can understand the confusion considering acceptances/rejections continue to trickle in until August following people not accepting their offers

Literally just got my acceptance package for RCSI GEP from FedEx a minute ago. I live in Ontario, Canada.

My stats: cGPA 3.3, 32 MCAT. The usual ECs (research, volunteering both medical and otherwise, shadowing), certified lifeguard and first aider.

Pretty excited! But I'd like to keep my options open since RCSI is the most expensive Ireland school by a considerable amount.

Edit: the package was shipped March 17th via international priority and I haven't got anything on the credit card statement yet.

Last edited:
Congrats man! I take it you got into the GEP?
Edit: Just realized you mentioned the GEP lol duh! Anyways way to go buddy, thanks for letting us know!

Last edited:
Hey guys just wanted to say I got my RCSI GEP acceptance as of a minute ago. Figured I'd recap the stats for anyone curious
Canadian Resident
Undergraduate: 3.5GPA (H. Bsc. Biochemistry, Minor in Psych) University of Ottawa Graduate 3.3GPA (Msc. Neuroscience) McGill University
MCAT: Verbal 11 Physics 10 Biology 10 P
EC: Founding a Science camp for under privileged students, co-author on a chapter review, VP of student association, Black belt, Invited Speakership, Poster award, Bilingual diploma from Ontario in french and english (if that counts for anything).
Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Good for you Dredge! Are you considering any other schools?

lol, I'll figure out that "problem" if it comes.
But actually in all seriousness i'm wondering if it isn't worth the effort to try and get it deferred (if at all possible) and try to get into NA one more time. Nothing against Ireland or the education, I'm sure its great but this whole residency outlook is looking more and more grim by the forum post lol.

If you take a look at the fine print in the package, RCSI explicitly spells out that the offer is only for this year, I'm afraid.

I'm also a bit worried about the situation, but since I'm not too interested in the competitive specialties, I hope there's a pretty good chance of going to back to NA to practice. I'm also considering Australia. There's an internship/residency crisis there too for international students though...

So I guess there is no point looking at credit card history! I'm on vacation and away from my mailbox.

Last edited:
Right, but maybe if I ask reeeeeaaallly nicely lol. Anyways i suppose it woudnt hurt to just enjoy the moment for a second

You "on the fence acceptees" always make me frustrated. If you were unsure about going to Ireland/can't afford it/have a 30+ MCAT, why do you even apply?

I really want to go to Ireland, but I bet I won't get in or won't get notice first-round because people like you take up all the initial spots.

Sorry to rain on your happiness parade, I'm just venting after reading like 100 posts by people like that.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Artificial_Ignorance,
Listen man, medschool application and admission is a really hard and arduous process. you have every right to feel frustrated and dejected, we've all been there, and the truth is we're still there. I know I'm still getting rejection letters from NA schools. Nobody is mad at you for venting about your frustrations, it's kind of one of the main reasons this entire site is here. As someone who's been trying to get into med school for years I know what you mean and it's okay to get angry, but everyone on this site is just trying to get our dreams made a reality and we are willing to do some pretty crazy things to get it. I don't want to seem overly Pollyanna about a situation that god knows can seem pretty hopeless but honestly man, keep at it, there's no doubt in my mind you'll get to where you belong.
P.S. And besides all this, it's still really early in the admissions process for Ireland anyways dude :)

Since rejection emails are not out yet. I guess we're gonna be fine till then...

Nice to see other people on here who also went to UWO.

I had a 3.57 GPA at UWO, Honors BHSc., and 31R Mcat. Got my letter of acceptance from UCC yesterday, will be accepting it. Just wondering if any other North American students are going to UCC in the fall as well. Heard more about people being accepted at NUIG and RCSI so far.

I had a 3.57 GPA at UWO, Honors BHSc., and 31R Mcat. Got my letter of acceptance from UCC yesterday, will be accepting it. Just wondering if any other North American students are going to UCC in the fall as well. Heard more about people being accepted at NUIG and RCSI so far.

Hey! I was accepted as well, 3.47 GPA and 34 MCAT, Honors BHsc., Mount Allison University. I haven't decided to accept yet, Ill decide in the next few days.

Have people been getting acceptances from NUIG? Seems like only RCSI and UCC.

I'm canadian, there's not a whole lot of options for us in the US

Ummm so am I, and yes there are plently of options in the US, especially for those Canadians with 30+ MCAT scores. More than in Canada in fact.

Edit: Oh nevermind, I didn't realize you were talking about a Canadian school. For some reason I thought you got accepted into an Ireland one (maybe because we're on an Atlantic Bridge forum).

Last edited:
Hey! I was accepted as well, 3.47 GPA and 34 MCAT, Honors BHsc., Mount Allison University. I haven't decided to accept yet, Ill decide in the next few days.

Congrats! That's a really great MCAT score. Let me know if you accept UCC.

Hi guys. I've been invited for an RCSI interview and I'd like to know what kind of questions they ask?

Does anyone know about this rumor that AB doesn't give out more than one acceptance letters from schools? It sounds really silly and i'm sure these people just didnt get in to more than one school but, I was just wondering if anybody's heard of anything along those lines.

Hi guys. I've been invited for an RCSI interview and I'd like to know what kind of questions they ask?
The questions weren't too crazy,
-They asked about my master's project (general interest stuff)
-Other hobbies that i might have that i didn't include on my CV
-If i knew the class sizes to the RCSI program I was applying too (60 non-EU/60 EU for the GEP)
-Then some pretty generic interview questions...
-Why RCSI?
-What could I bring to RCSI?
-What about the RCSI program did I like?
-What were my opinions on moving to Ireland (kind of an odd question, I know, I think they just wanted to make sure that you've thought about it a little)
One thing I have to say is that they go to intense lengths to calm you down which is greatly appreciated. However it should be noted that they also really make it seem like it's going to be very "conversational" (which is a buzz word they use like crazy lol) which you should know it is very much not. It's an interview with questions and answers lol not to freak you out, but you should know.

Does anyone know about this rumor that AB doesn't give out more than one acceptance letters from schools? It sounds really silly and i'm sure these people just didnt get in to more than one school but, I was just wondering if anybody's heard of anything along those lines.

I heard a rumour that they don't usually offer multiple acceptances on some other forums too.
But that seems ridiculous, as ABP would essentially turn down offers for each student after the first. I doubt institutions would approve of this model, as it essentially gives preference to the first school to act on each applicant.
It would only make a little bit of sense if ABP had asked us to rank our schools, so they would know to try and wait for the main offer.
I think you're right that it's just a coincidence that most people only get one offer. Guess we'll find out if anyone gets a second offer.

I heard a rumour that they don't usually offer multiple acceptances on some other forums too.
But that seems ridiculous, as ABP would essentially turn down offers for each student after the first. I doubt institutions would approve of this model, as it essentially gives preference to the first school to act on each applicant.
It would only make a little bit of sense if ABP had asked us to rank our schools, so they would know to try and wait for the main offer.
I think you're right that it's just a coincidence that most people only get one offer. Guess we'll find out if anyone gets a second offer.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like it's in anyone's interest to hold back acceptances (i.e. the schools wouldn't get students they want; ABP wouldn't get to improve their acceptance rate and notoriety which I assume would be good for business; and obviously the applicants get less options). Besides the fact that it just sounds kinda illegal lol

Thanks a lot Dredge and Charlotte. Its an online video interview that I can take anytime before end of Monday.

I had a 3.57 GPA at UWO, Honors BHSc., and 31R Mcat. Got my letter of acceptance from UCC yesterday, will be accepting it. Just wondering if any other North American students are going to UCC in the fall as well. Heard more about people being accepted at NUIG and RCSI so far.[/quote]

Hey guys, I'm at UWO Honors BSc. Biology. Just got my acceptance to UCC today. Do we know if anyone else is sending out offers soon? We have until April 7 to accept.