Staying for postdoc at internship site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychedUp313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will begin internship soon and realized that postdoc apps will start shortly after. My internship site offers postdoc positions and I have heard many previous interns stay on for this. I'd like to hear your thoughts on pros and cons of staying for postdoc. This site was my top choice and provides all of the training opportunities I was looking for. Assuming I like the site, I am hoping to stay on and avoid going through the whole postdoc application phase. Is there any cons to staying on? Should I still apply to several other postdoc positions? For context, my career goal is to be a forensic evaluator at a state hospital and my internship is at a large forensic state hospital. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a 1- or 2-year postdoc? Do postdocs often stay on as staff? Would you be interested in staying on as staff? If they do not stay on as staff, do they find positions within your field at other reputable institutions?

All questions important to ask when gauging any postdoc, regardless of whether it's at your internship site or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I will begin internship soon and realized that postdoc apps will start shortly after. My internship site offers postdoc positions and I have heard many previous interns stay on for this. I'd like to hear your thoughts on pros and cons of staying for postdoc. This site was my top choice and provides all of the training opportunities I was looking for. Assuming I like the site, I am hoping to stay on and avoid going through the whole postdoc application phase. Is there any cons to staying on? Should I still apply to several other postdoc positions? For context, my career goal is to be a forensic evaluator at a state hospital and my internship is at a large forensic state hospital. Thank you!
Would this be a formal or informal postdoc? How many post doc spots vs interns? Basically, if there is one post doc spot but three interns, if you all applied for the position, only one would get it. So yes, it would be good to apply to other post docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk with them about if they want you. If yes, and if you're happy, I dont see a reason to complicate the process. or spend more money.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest pro to going elsewhere (even if you’re offered an option to stay) would be to receive different training opportunities/settings that you’d miss out on otherwise.

What I thought I wanted for a career at internship and what I do now is totally different and postdoc helped clarify stuff for me.

Going elsewhere could also expand your professional networks and might open up other job opportunities, especially if you plan on living elsewhere from your internship location.

Reactions: 2 users
I ranked my internship with the idea that I wanted to stay for postdoc. I was a good fit for the site and it was a good transition. It helps that I didn’t have to move again with my partner, the site knew me, I was able to clarify what I wanted to do, and I was able to hit the ground running. I am in a primarily research postdoc, so it worked well. I worked on a manuscript in my one month between internship and postdoc and got it published within my first couple of months. I applied to one other site. It just depends on what your goals are. I would say apply, but don’t limit yourself. My friend who is completing her internship now applied to her site and matched there, but someone in her cohort didn’t get a spot when she asked for a reciprocal offer. You’ll get a feel from your supervisors what they’re leaning towards. Good luck! Smart to think of it early, it comes so quickly.

I would say that in general, there aren't really any cons that I can think of to staying on at your internship site for postdoc. This is assuming the postdoc checks all the boxes you need and offers a solid training experience. If I'd gone to my fellowship site for internship, I would've had no qualms about sticking around there for another two years.

Edit: I should add that I'd also second the advice above to possibly talk with them about your desire to stick around for postdoc. If you're interested in research there, they may be willing to get you involved in projects that you otherwise wouldn't be able to complete in just the one internship year.

Personally, I wouldn't and didn't.

The post doc is your very last opportunity to do something new. By the end of your internship, it's probably old hat, and unless you can't imagine yourself elsewhere or doing something else, then it's always a good idea to pick up more skills and experience while still operating under someone else's license.

I was in a similar position this past year at my current site. Mostly I fell in love with the region I am currently living and would love to spend the rest of my life here. The site had two post doc positions in areas of my interest so I thought that I would apply. I also ended up applying to multiple different post docs in other states that were similar to what I wanted. By the time interviews rolled around I had a better feel for my current location and also some perspective on what other locations could offer. The interviews helped me to finalize those decisions.

My current location ended up not being my number 1 choice and I chose to relocate for my post doc. One of the biggest reasons for going someone else for me was new training opportunties not available at my current location and a different perspective from what I received during my internship.

There are opportunties for me to return after my postdoc if I choose to but I know I will be better prepared because of my choice.

It really depends based on personal circumstances and what the postdoc has to offer...however, I see internship as a breadth year and postdoc as a depth year. If there aren't opportunities for depth, then I would go elsewhere.

My internship (like most) was a generalist site. I was interested in the internship partially because it gave me experiences that I hadn't had before. The postdoc at my internship site is also quite generalist, and basically the same as internship minus the didactics. I also did not feel that there would be enough opportunities to prepare myself to specialize later. I went with a postdoc that offered specialized training.

Is it a formal forensic fellowship? What i mean is...does ABFP accept it for their waiver? If so, yes. (That being that you also like the site and the training/supervisors). This will fast track you getting ABPPd