staying in shape and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone...so ill be starting at umdnj-som next fall (i finally made my decision!!). I would like to do a triathalon next spring and depending on how it goes I was thinking about continuing my training next fall. Is it ridiculous for me to think that it will be possible to train almost every day, compete a couple of saturdays and still kick ass in med school?

I would love to hear from any med student athletes out there who still manage to race on weekends!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely possible to exercise in med school. Set aside time for it, and you should have no problems. It also depends on your study habits; I never go to class, so I have time to exercise regularly. All these people that tell you they don't have time to excercise and/or are getting fat = laziness. If they're having trouble finding time to workout, get up at 5am and hit the gym before class. There's no reason to not stay in shape.

It's definitely possible to exercise in med school. Set aside time for it, and you should have no problems. It also depends on your study habits; I never go to class, so I have time to exercise regularly. All these people that tell you they don't have time to excercise and/or are getting fat = laziness. If they're having trouble finding time to workout, get up at 5am and hit the gym before class. There's no reason to not stay in shape.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone...so ill be starting at umdnj-som next fall (i finally made my decision!!). I would like to do a triathalon next spring and depending on how it goes I was thinking about continuing my training next fall. Is it ridiculous for me to think that it will be possible to train almost every day, compete a couple of saturdays and still kick ass in med school?

I would love to hear from any med student athletes out there who still manage to race on weekends!

thanks!

One of the current med students (robert wood johnson) in my epidemiology class just did the marathon in philly actually (couple of weeks ago)...I understand it's not a triathlon but still requires quite a bit of training...

I just sent in my deposit as well =) I was glad to see they have a gym inside the building, I just hate running outside in the winter

During my first 2 years, I loved to workout right after classes.
After 4-6 hours of being talked at, my brain was about fried as was my attention span. Working out and clearing my head of all things school related was a welcome break. Then when it was time to study, I was relaxed and able to focus.

If you're an extreme gunner, you can get lecture MP3's on your MP3 player and listen to those as you run, or have notes with you in the gym on the treadmill or ellipse machine. I wasn't that much of a gunner and needed some time to relax and listen to music and remember that there is more to life than just school!

I didn't work out as much my first semester, tried to study all the time and ended up falling asleep on my notes constantly and didn't get great grades.

My 2nd semester I started running and working out daily. I found that I had more energy, I was able to focus better, stay awake while studying and my grades improved drastically! Summer before 2nd year, I got married and my wife is an exercise freak! I started working out and running even more than I had before and my grades got even better. Add that onto weighing 20lbs less than I did when I graduated college and I can't think of a good reason not to workout during med school!

Besides, research has shown that cardiovascular exercise can help prevent Alzheimer's and other dementias! :D

During my first 2 years, I loved to workout right after classes.
After 4-6 hours of being talked at, my brain was about fried as was my attention span. Working out and clearing my head of all things school related was a welcome break. Then when it was time to study, I was relaxed and able to focus.

If you're an extreme gunner, you can get lecture MP3's on your MP3 player and listen to those as you run, or have notes with you in the gym on the treadmill or ellipse machine. I wasn't that much of a gunner and needed some time to relax and listen to music and remember that there is more to life than just school!

I didn't work out as much my first semester, tried to study all the time and ended up falling asleep on my notes constantly and didn't get great grades.

My 2nd semester I started running and working out daily. I found that I had more energy, I was able to focus better, stay awake while studying and my grades improved drastically! Summer before 2nd year, I got married and my wife is an exercise freak! I started working out and running even more than I had before and my grades got even better. Add that onto weighing 20lbs less than I did when I graduated college and I can't think of a good reason not to workout during med school!

Besides, research has shown that cardiovascular exercise can help prevent Alzheimer's and other dementias! :D

Agree with my fellow DMUer...

I made the mistake of taking lots of naps and eating like a pig to relieve stress. I ended up gaining my graduate 20 lbs. I have since lost a majority of it throughout my 3rd and 4th year but it was really hard to do. But I have found that exercise is a real big stress reliever for me, eventhough I hate it. Train away, just don't do it to the expense of your work and you will be fine.

I go at 430a and again at 5p and Im hardly struggling.

It depends on where your priorities lay. For me, Id rather be in the gym on a friday/saturday evening than being wasted.

competition shouldn't be a problem (your triathalon). Ill be competing in one of the National Physique Commitee's events at the end of March (I think/hope) so its definately doable.

I go at 430a and again at 5p and Im hardly struggling.

It depends on where your priorities lay. For me, Id rather be in the gym on a friday/saturday evening than being wasted.

competition shouldn't be a problem (your triathalon). Ill be competing in one of the National Physique Commitee's events at the end of March (I think/hope) so its definately doable.

You're nuts.

But exercising is a really good idea; definitely sign up for a gym membership BEFORE you get all fat and lazy like me.

Link for the alzheimers?

http://www.fi.edu/brain/exercise.htm
Walking is especially good for your brain, because it increases blood circulation and the oxygen and glucose that reach your brain. Walking is not strenuous, so your leg muscles don't take up extra oxygen and glucose like they do during other forms of exercise. As you walk, you effectively oxygenate your brain. Maybe this is why walking can "clear your head" and help you to think better.

Movement and exercise increase breathing and heart rate so that more blood flows to the brain, enhancing energy production and waste removal. Studies show that in response to exercise, cerebral blood vessels can grow, even in middle-aged sedentary animals.

Walking Improved Memory-Study

Studies of senior citizens who walk regularly showed significant improvement in memory skills compared to sedentary elderly people.

Walking also improved their learning ability, concentration, and abstract reasoning. Stroke risk was cut by 57% in people who walked as little as 20 minutes a day.

http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitbits_display.aspx?itemid=104

Exercise not only helps keep you young, research shows that it may ward off one of the most dreaded diseases of the old - Alzheimer's.

I'm a current second year. last year I put on some pounds cause I didn't work out during our first quarter. Then I hit the gym everyday and my grades improved as well as my physique.
This summer I did my first triathlon (I'll do two more this spring) and ran the Chicago marathon in October, my first marathon.
So yes, staying active definitely is a must.
This winter I'm giving brazilian jujitsu a try, it's been great.

agreed. im a first year and try and lift about 3X/wk and run/bike 3X/wk. ill admit there are weeks when it just doesnt seem possible with gross lab always being an option on the things to do list. just get yourself in the habit of exercising 3-4 times a week and don't let anything else alter that schedule....mind AND body man! they go hand in hand. dont let school consume your life, there are more important things..like living a healthy life.

I'm a current second year. last year I put on some pounds cause I didn't work out during our first quarter. Then I hit the gym everyday and my grades improved as well as my physique.
This summer I did my first triathlon (I'll do two more this spring) and ran the Chicago marathon in October, my first marathon.
So yes, staying active definitely is a must.
This winter I'm giving brazilian jujitsu a try, it's been great.
Nice choice; BJJ is a great sport. If you want to be a well rounded fighter, throw in some Muay-thai and make sure you do no-gi training as part of your BJJ. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I even think we started contest on who was the 'most weight gained' winner from first to second year. You don't want to be on that list.

I even think we started contest on who was the 'most weight gained' winner from first to second year. You don't want to be on that list.

seems like the girls in our class took top honors on that.

Ditto our class, and that doesn't even include the ones who became pregnant.:rolleyes:

thanks for all of your comments everyone! and ill keep the above in mind if i ever find myself slacking off with my training...

Have you hit residency yet; from what I hear, you will think differently about sleep.

Have you hit residency yet; from what I hear, you will think differently about sleep.

Well seeing as how I sleep 4 hrs while everyone sleeps 6+, Ill certainly be in better shape than most.

It's easy to stay in shape in med school, unfortunately that shape is usually round.