step 2 before step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it necessary for foreign students to take the USMLE's in order? i have a friend who is finishing at a foreign med school and wants to take the USMLE steps, but will be very prepared for step 2 before he will have an opportunity to study for step 1.

can he nip step 2 in the bud prior to step 1, or must it be in order? i assumed it needed to be in order, but then again, i wasn't so sure . . .

thanks for any help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

you are unable to take step 2 unless you passed step 1; at least that's my impression

from the NBME . . . hmm, interesting, i wouldn't have thought

You must pass Step 1 and Step 2 before you are eligible to take Step 3. In LCME-accredited medical schools, although Step 1 and Step 2 can be taken in any order, most students will take Step 1 at the end of their second year and Step 2 in their fourth year; Step 3 is usually taken during the first or second year of postgraduate training. Students and graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada should contact the ECFMG for information on ECFMG Certification and Step 1 and Step 2 eligibility. Most medical licensing authorities require completion of USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3 within a seven-year period, which begins when you pass your first Step. Check the FSMB website for further information on such requirements.

U can take step 2 before step 1 but its not recommended since there is some overlap but if u are from a foreign country with clinical experience and feel u are better prepared for step 2 go for it. Know however that as an img u need to complete step 1, step 2 ck and cs to get ecfmg certification and apply for the match but there is no required order in which u need to take the first 2 steps.