Step 2 CK scores release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetD2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this is being discussed in the USMLE Step II forum, but would love to hear aPD's comments if he/she happens to have any thoughts he/she would care to share.

The NBME has announced that if you want your Step II score back before Sept. 15, you need to take Step II by July 27th. How important is it to have your Step II released as soon as your application is submitted to programs in ERAS (on Sept. 15)? I'm wanting to improve significantly from Step I. I was fortunate enough to secure some audition rotations at top programs, but I'm not sure whether that means that my Step I score is good enough to prevent my name being put at the bottom of the stack for invites while I await Step II results. FYI I'm above average for people applying in my desired field, but it's not a score that will blow open any doors, thus I've been working hard to ensure my Step II is significantly better.

I've asked a few different people for their take on this, and have gotten mixed responses. I want to be sure that it's important before losing 4 days of studying to schedule my test earlier.

Thanks in advance! And I apologize if it's inappropriate to post here since it's being discussed in the Step II forum.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this is being discussed in the USMLE Step II forum, but would love to hear aPD's comments if he/she happens to have any thoughts he/she would care to share.

The NBME has announced that if you want your Step II score back before Sept. 15, you need to take Step II by July 27th. How important is it to have your Step II released as soon as your application is submitted to programs in ERAS (on Sept. 15)? I'm wanting to improve significantly from Step I. I was fortunate enough to secure some audition rotations at top programs, but I'm not sure whether that means that my Step I score is good enough to prevent my name being put at the bottom of the stack for invites while I await Step II results. FYI I'm above average for people applying in my desired field, but it's not a score that will blow open any doors, thus I've been working hard to ensure my Step II is significantly better.

I've asked a few different people for their take on this, and have gotten mixed responses. I want to be sure that it's important before losing 4 days of studying to schedule my test earlier.

Thanks in advance! And I apologize if it's inappropriate to post here since it's being discussed in the Step II forum.

It depends on a few things: If you're an IMG, it's pretty important. A lot of programs won't look at IMGs until they have Step I+CK+CS results all in hand.

If you're an american grad, it's less important. If your step I is really borderline, it would help you to get your Step 2 sooner rather than later, but programs will be updated with your results as you release them. Most will at least take another look when the test scores come in.

Worst case scenario, if you get your Step 2 scores late, you can always email or call the programs and inquire about your application status (and remind them that you just got a step 2 score;) ). That actually got me a couple interview invites last year.

It depends on a few things: If you're an IMG, it's pretty important. A lot of programs won't look at IMGs until they have Step I+CK+CS results all in hand.

If you're an american grad, it's less important. If your step I is really borderline, it would help you to get your Step 2 sooner rather than later, but programs will be updated with your results as you release them. Most will at least take another look when the test scores come in.

Worst case scenario, if you get your Step 2 scores late, you can always email or call the programs and inquire about your application status (and remind them that you just got a step 2 score;) ). That actually got me a couple interview invites last year.

Thank you! I'm an american grad, a DO, although applying to a less competitive residency program... so maybe not such a deal-breaker if I don't have my Step II score by Sept 15. My Step I is fine (above average) for my area - but I'm looking at some pretty big programs. More importantly, I have to apply for prelim years, which are much more competitive than the actual specialty. I know there are a lot of great candidates out there, and I don't want to give programs a reason to not send me an invite if I can help it.

Soooo - in light of your advice and that of others, I went ahead and moved my test date up. It's a better deal in the end, gives me a couple of more days with my family before I go off for five months of traveling :)

Thank you!

So, I'm an IMG with a decent Step 1 Score of 244. I'm taking CK in a couple of weeks but it is after the 27th deadline so the earliest I can expect my score is the 25th of September. My CS result is also scheduled to come out November/December.

My question is should I still apply on the 15th with just my Step 1 score and e-mail the programs as soon as I release my CK score? Or should I wait 10 days and apply on the 25th of September with both 1 and 2. Unsure if the benefit of applying with both scores exceeds whatever benefit is there for applying early. Or does it not really matter because most programs don't look at things till a bit later anyways. I had read that some people received interviews as soon as 2-3 days after the 15th. Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

***Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized I missed the IMG part. The below is directed at US grads. I don't know enough about IMGs and the application process to say if it still applies to you or not. Good luck.***

You've got nothing to lose by applying on the 15th if you can manage it. If a program won't extend an interview until you've got both scores in, then it makes no difference if you apply on the 15th or the 25th. However, it's better to get your application in for those programs that can look beyond a missing item on your application. Many people will have incomplete applications the first few weeks, and depending on the strength and completeness of the rest of your application (and the specialty you're applying to), you may well get invites.

Last edited:
So, I'm an IMG with a decent Step 1 Score of 244. I'm taking CK in a couple of weeks but it is after the 27th deadline so the earliest I can expect my score is the 25th of September. My CS result is also scheduled to come out November/December.

My question is should I still apply on the 15th with just my Step 1 score and e-mail the programs as soon as I release my CK score? Or should I wait 10 days and apply on the 25th of September with both 1 and 2. Unsure if the benefit of applying with both scores exceeds whatever benefit is there for applying early. Or does it not really matter because most programs don't look at things till a bit later anyways. I had read that some people received interviews as soon as 2-3 days after the 15th. Would appreciate any advice, thanks.
I don't think it matters much. Programs will still be processing their applications, and whether you apply on Sept 15 or Sept 25th won't really matter. Some programs may await your CS score, or ECFMG eligibility, which might be a problem but there's nothing you can do about that.

I was reading this thread and I have a similar problem....I have a decent step 1 score, will have my CS results in August, but I won't have my Step 2 score until the first week of october.
I know you mentioned September 15th versus September 25th...but what about September 15th vs. first week of October?

I was reading this thread and I have a similar problem....I have a decent step 1 score, will have my CS results in August, but I won't have my Step 2 score until the first week of october.
I know you mentioned September 15th versus September 25th...but what about September 15th vs. first week of October?
Since you have no control over this, it doesn't seem worth worrying about.

I'm an IMG with a step 2 score of 268 applying to the 2014 match. I'm wondering how good this score is if I'm applying to Internal medicine. It's hard to tell what to think after getting Step scores back. Would appreciate aPD's input.

I'm an IMG with a step 2 score of 268 applying to the 2014 match. I'm wondering how good this score is if I'm applying to Internal medicine. It's hard to tell what to think after getting Step scores back. Would appreciate aPD's input.

Your kidding right? Please don't act dumb you know it's fine

Who knows what he means. Based on his history, he was accepted to Mt Sinai, then Cali, but states he's an IMG. just trolling...

I was wondering, how long will it take from the time we receive our scores back (let's say we get it back Sept 20th and authorize release of USMLE scores on Sept 21st) until NBME uploads it onto ERAS?

As soon as you get the result you can authorize a retransmission. It gets out to programs within the next 24-48 hrs. Sometimes even within the next few hrs.

ok I just took my CK yesterday Sept 21st, and I wonder if I will get the score by Oct 8th? Tehcnically that is 3 wednesdays later. What do ya'll think?