Step 3 experience. Think I failed...Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMLE/EM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am a PGY-2 IM. Took step 3 last week both days back to back. I studied for 2 months. With the 2nd month serious studying. Used the basics MTB and Uworld. I got 210 on UWSA-2 which was 3 weeks out and 213 on UWSA-1 about 1 week out.

I am a slow reader and thinker. I have always ran out of time on exam, esp the USMLEs, but I feel like I lacked time on this one the most. Maybe I was over thinking the questions.

The exam
1st day- 6 blocks. Ran out of time on ALL the blocks. Had like 2 minutes left for the last 4-5 questions in each block, and randomly just marked the answers for the last 5 questions. I also skipped most of the biostats and ALL of the drug ads (again marked random answers).

Day 2: 6 blocks, same story again. 5 questions left with 1-2 minutes remaining. Again randomly clicked answers on last 5 questions.

CCS:
Made a few mistakes here and there, then completely gave the wrong treatment on one of the cases (wrong abx).

Now, I am having mad anxiety everyday because of course I think I failed. I didn't expect to feel good after the exam, matter of fact, I knew I would feel like crap. I was prepared for that. I just feel like I failed because I made the usual dumb mistakes on top of running out of time on all 12 blocks. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback or a similar experience and passed? I have already started studying for the exam again but I am on ICU for the next months, and I need to know if I should ask for a schedule change in order to prepare again/ review stuff.

Btw, have been an average student in med school, with below average to average scores on the USMLEs so far.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Advice on how to pass take 2? Finish all uworld and supplement with MTBs. Read anytime you are free during your downtime and be sure to go through the practice cases more than once.

Don't worry. If you got so far passing Step 1 and 2, you will get it too. It's just a freaking IQ tests. You did already twice. A little bit different set of data. Just need time and focus.

Hello everyone

I am a PGY-2 IM. Took step 3 last week both days back to back. I studied for 2 months. With the 2nd month serious studying. Used the basics MTB and Uworld. I got 210 on UWSA-2 which was 3 weeks out and 213 on UWSA-1 about 1 week out.

I am a slow reader and thinker. I have always ran out of time on exam, esp the USMLEs, but I feel like I lacked time on this one the most. Maybe I was over thinking the questions.

The exam
1st day- 6 blocks. Ran out of time on ALL the blocks. Had like 2 minutes left for the last 4-5 questions in each block, and randomly just marked the answers for the last 5 questions. I also skipped most of the biostats and ALL of the drug ads (again marked random answers).

Day 2: 6 blocks, same story again. 5 questions left with 1-2 minutes remaining. Again randomly clicked answers on last 5 questions.

CCS:
Made a few mistakes here and there, then completely gave the wrong treatment on one of the cases (wrong abx).

Now, I am having mad anxiety everyday because of course I think I failed. I didn't expect to feel good after the exam, matter of fact, I knew I would feel like crap. I was prepared for that. I just feel like I failed because I made the usual dumb mistakes on top of running out of time on all 12 blocks. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback or a similar experience and passed? I have already started studying for the exam again but I am on ICU for the next months, and I need to know if I should ask for a schedule change in order to prepare again/ review stuff.

Btw, have been an average student in med school, with below average to average scores on the USMLEs so far.

did you pass? i hope you did. i read your post and felt like its my review after the exam.. i am waiting for my result..

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer - I am not advertising, but I’ll advise you to tremendously simplify your M.O. There are too many conflicting pieces of data and advice out there at this and many other fora, so “go with what you know…” You have a lot at stake in terms of your professional (financial) and career trajectory, so do not be bogged down by potential ne’erdowells and miscreants that do not ‘have your back…’ I was in the same boat as you, but through a fortunate turn of events and networking with the correct, optimal advisors (eml me direct at enycity at gml for details), I came away with flying colors, and excellent longer-term outcomes (albeit not-so-hot in the immediate and shorter -term-time horizons...). ..GL

Hello everyone

The exam

CCS:

How did you end up doing?