Step 3 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is step 3 score important when you apply for fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think most fellowships expect that you have an unrestricted license, which requires the passage of Step 3.

Does your residency program not require you to take it before 2nd or 3rd year?:confused: Most programs require that you have passed Step 3 before going into the 3rd year, some may require it earlier. Since you are a GS intern, it would be highly unlikely that you would get all the way to fellowship applications without having passed Step 3. Remember you also cannot get a DEA license without the unrestricted medical license (which again requires Step 3).

Thanks a lot.
I'm starting in a couple of weeks so I havent figured out all the requirments yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the question was about the importance of the actual score and its future impact, not just passing the exam. ??

I thought the question was about the importance of the actual score and its future impact, not just passing the exam. ??

Duh...I guess it is perfecly reasonable to read the question that way!:laugh:

If that is what the OP is asking about, most fellowships aren't too fussed about your Step 3 score. It has almost NO surgery on it and I would be very suprised if they cared about anything other than you passing it.

But they do care about your step 1 and 2 scores when you apply for residensy even though there is as much surgery in them as in step 3.

just pass it - surgery fellowships don't care how much you know about delivering a baby. If your score is mediocre (like mine was) just say that your goal was acheive a passing score, and the time and effort to needed to excel was better spent in your surgical training.

But they do care about your step 1 and 2 scores when you apply for residensy even though there is as much surgery in them as in step 3.

I beg to differ, there is a fair bit more surgery on Step 2 than 3 (not to mean that there is a LOT of surgery on Step 2, but there is more). Regardless, most fellowship programs care only if you passed Step 3 and don't use it when evaluating you for a fellowship.

Your in-training exam scores and LORs mean much much more.