Step 3 Studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking here because I think EM is unique in that our residency training actually covers a lot of the material (vs something like orthopedic surgery). How much time did you spend studying, how many resources did you use?

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning on doing all of UWorld. I did about half of the UWorld questions and 15 of the cases, then realized I wouldn't have time to finish everything. At that point, I just picked the 3-4 organ systems that I did the worst on and finished those questions. I went through the remaining 30ish cases by reading the intro, then ending the case and reading the what tests they want and in what order.

With this, I did extremely well.

Also, remember all you have to do is pass. Anything beyond that is personal pride. What are the odds you'll go from XXX in USMLE I, and YYY in USMLE 2, which got you into a resident, then fail an easy licensing exam that is also taken by neurosurgery, ob/gyn and path?

You need to look over the cases, just so you understand the system, but beyond that anything you want to do to make you feel more comfortable with the material will be adequate.

Good luck.

I spent two days prior to the exam reading the OB and Peds sections of the Crush Step 3 book only. I don't even think I finished the sections completely. I spent most of one of those days trying to figure out how to find a PC to use the practice software for the cases. I passed easily with an average score. EM intern year prepares you pretty well for the exam without much need for extra studying. Don't lose any sleep over it, don't spend too much money on test prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
75% of Uworld, a handful of cases and did very well, agree with above.

Did UWorld, passed easily.

Step 3 was by far the most aggravating-as-$hit one of them all. Two DAYS of eight-hour MCQ nonsense, sitting still, in front of a computer screen, for what amounts to a mere formality?

Kthxbye.

paid for uworld x 1 mo and did ~65% of the questions.

was probably way overkill. honestly I just felt like studying since I was on ortho and just sitting around the hospital waiting for the pager to go off.

step 3 is cake for anyone in EM who makes any sort of effort to learn and has decent test taking skills

Out of curiosity, when during intern year did you take it?

I did the practice software for the cases on the second day. Other than that, I didn't study and did fine. That said, my program really pushes the in-service so I had done PEER VIII and 1200 questions by the time I took step 3. I took it the week after the Inservice.

I did UWORLD and annotated into Conrad Fischer's Master The Boards Step 3. Rocked step 3.

With the change coming, this might not be useful information but I thought I'd post an update for others who find this thread while looking for similar answers.

Did about half of Uworld MCQ's, half the Uworld cases, and read through the explanation for the cases I didn't get around to doing. Solid pass, score higher than Step 1, lower than Step 2 which seems to be the pattern.

If you've done reasonably well on previous Steps, you won't need to study much though I think the Uworld MCQ's are nice for giving you some confidence going in. Recommend doing the practice cases for sure, an EM resident will have the thought process down easily because it's what we do every day but the format takes some getting used to...

Unsurprisingly, my worst subject was the preventative OB/GYN stuff.

With the change coming, this might not be useful information but I thought I'd post an update for others who find this thread while looking for similar answers.

Did about half of Uworld MCQ's, half the Uworld cases, and read through the explanation for the cases I didn't get around to doing. Solid pass, score higher than Step 1, lower than Step 2 which seems to be the pattern.

If you've done reasonably well on previous Steps, you won't need to study much though I think the Uworld MCQ's are nice for giving you some confidence going in. Recommend doing the practice cases for sure, an EM resident will have the thought process down easily because it's what we do every day but the format takes some getting used to...

Unsurprisingly, my worst subject was the preventative OB/GYN stuff.

Sweet timing -- thanks. I'm taking one of the last administrations of the current test next month. Can't moonlight in second year, so waited this long to take the thing.

Last edited by a moderator: