Still figuring things out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

froggy9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry about the long post. I'm a computer information systems undergrad with another year left after this one, and I've just started thinking about going to med school. I'm still not sure if I want to pursue DO or MD, but first I need to know if either is feasible.

GPA: 3.34
I'm going to try to bring this up to a 3.4 by the time I graduate, but it will be difficult. I came into college with a 4.0, but I go to a very difficult school and courses are hard, particularly in the computer science department. The fact that I haven't been very interested in didn't help my motivation. My GPA is already above average here, but my college is relatively unknown.

I haven't taken the MCAT, but at this point I would be planning on taking another year of post-bac because I don't have the credits I need for pre-med. I only have one semester of calc, two semesters of basic bio, B's in all so far, which for this school is pretty good. Still need o-chem, chem, and physics.

I am a good test taker and am fairly confident I could pull a decent score on the MCAT after a study program.

EC
I signed up to volunteer at a local hospital back home last year, but due to school and such, I wasn't ever able to go. I will probably volunteer there over the summer, and I could volunteer at a hospital near my school during the year.

What are my chances? I'm not looking to get into any top-tier schools, but it would be nice to know if there is even a chance for me to get into any school at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.4 is < below avg for MD matriculants, but avg for DO schools.

A lack of ECs will be lethal.

Hey guys, sorry about the long post. I'm a computer information systems undergrad with another year left after this one, and I've just started thinking about going to med school. I'm still not sure if I want to pursue DO or MD, but first I need to know if either is feasible.

GPA: 3.34
I'm going to try to bring this up to a 3.4 by the time I graduate, but it will be difficult. I came into college with a 4.0, but I go to a very difficult school and courses are hard, particularly in the computer science department. The fact that I haven't been very interested in didn't help my motivation. My GPA is already above average here, but my college is relatively unknown.

I haven't taken the MCAT, but at this point I would be planning on taking another year of post-bac because I don't have the credits I need for pre-med. I only have one semester of calc, two semesters of basic bio, B's in all so far, which for this school is pretty good. Still need o-chem, chem, and physics.

I am a good test taker and am fairly confident I could pull a decent score on the MCAT after a study program.

EC
I signed up to volunteer at a local hospital back home last year, but due to school and such, I wasn't ever able to go. I will probably volunteer there over the summer, and I could volunteer at a hospital near my school during the year.

What are my chances? I'm not looking to get into any top-tier schools, but it would be nice to know if there is even a chance for me to get into any school at this point.

Thanks, what other kind of ECs should I look for? Sorry, I'm kinda new to all this.

Are there any significant drawbacks to going to DO schools vs. going to MD schools?