STILL need help choosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HrsNJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys,

I'm still stuck. I've got 2 med schools to pick from and the decision is killing me. I like them both for very different reasons and I can easily see myself at either location. I know you all are sick of THIS SCHOOL vs. THAT SCHOOL threads, so...

For those of you who have selected, who did you seek advice from? I need to talk this out with someone, and I'm not sure (beyond my friends and family) who could offer me with valuable advice. Teachers? Med students at the respective schools? Doctors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

For me the biggest factor in deciding was talking to the students. The two schools I was looking at were approximately equal in most other respects, but their communities seemed different and after going there for a re-visit, I found where I clicked and where I didn't. I don't know where you're choosing between, but is it possible for you to go back and take another look at the schools? Second look weekends are awesome and helpful, but I think the best picture I got was when I asked to just follow the MS1s for a day.

Yup, talk to med students at the respective schools. Search SDN for threads on those schools and see what students say about them.

Why don't you tell us the two schools and list the pros and cons of each? Then we can see what exactly you are thinking and maybe we can give you some feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
HrsNJ said:
Okay guys,

I'm still stuck. I've got 2 med schools to pick from and the decision is killing me. I like them both for very different reasons and I can easily see myself at either location. I know you all are sick of THIS SCHOOL vs. THAT SCHOOL threads, so...

For those of you who have selected, who did you seek advice from? I need to talk this out with someone, and I'm not sure (beyond my friends and family) who could offer me with valuable advice. Teachers? Med students at the respective schools? Doctors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :love:

Which is in a more fun city with better nightlife/recreation/sports/entertainment?

Which is cheaper?

Which has better clinical rotations (a bigger medical center or affiliations)?

Thank you! It's all good advice.

I'm deciding between Robert Wood Johnson and AECOM. Here are my thoughts:

The good:
Robert Wood--the cost is low, I already know the city because my undergraduate school is in the same place, I have several close friends who are going there, close to home

AECOM--great childrens hopsital (I'm thinking about Pediatrics), tight-knit community, dirt cheap housing/parking, better reputation than RWJ

The bad:
Robert Wood--I already know the city because my undergraduate school is in the SAME PLACE :p , rotations can be pretty far away from the school itself

AECOM--the BRONX.

Obviously, neither place is perfect. I also haven't had that "this is the absolutely right place for me" feeling with either of them yet. I'm waiting and hoping--and I have second looks at both places coming up.

Thanks again!

HrsNJ said:
Thank you! It's all good advice.

I'm deciding between Robert Wood Johnson and AECOM. Here are my thoughts:

The good:
Robert Wood--the cost is low, I already know the city because my undergraduate school is in the same place, I have several close friends who are going there, close to home

AECOM--great childrens hopsital (I'm thinking about Pediatrics), tight-knit community, dirt cheap housing/parking, better reputation than RWJ

The bad:
Robert Wood--I already know the city because my undergraduate school is in the SAME PLACE :p , rotations can be pretty far away from the school itself

AECOM--the BRONX.

Obviously, neither place is perfect. I also haven't had that "this is the absolutely right place for me" feeling with either of them yet. I'm waiting and hoping--and I have second looks at both places coming up.

Thanks again!

As I NJ resident, I would go with RWJ (it's also where I'm likely to be next year). RWJ has the Bristol-Myers Squibb Children's Hospital. And personally, I don't think there's enough of a reputation difference bw AECOM and RWJ to go out of state (but that's only my opinion based on my limited knowledge). But that's only my opinion. Good luck with your decision!

Albert Einstein is AWESOME if you want to work with the underserved or go into primary care. they place a strong social medicine emphasis on their clinical training. they also have some really awesome research going on.

Finally, the bronx isn't that bad...you are just a train away from the fun nightlife in manhattan!