Still use health committee letter even though it will delay my application for 1.5 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nana_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have some questions about the health committee letter.
So my school provides HCL; HOWEVER, they will not be able to submit it until late July/ beginning of August. I am planning on getting my application ready to go by June 10th with everything ready. So if I use the HCL, my application will be basically delayed for 1.5 months. So I am thinking of submitting 3 individual letters which will likely be ready by June.
Can anyone give some advice on choosing to use HCL for late July submission vs individual letters for early June submission?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your exact shoes this past cycle. My committee letter wasn’t able to be done until July 31st. Important to remember: you can submit your applications without your DAT score/LORs. I sent my app in on the first day the app opened in June to get it verified, and my committee letter was uploaded by my pre health committee in July.

Based on my experience, get the committee letter. It is a testament to your hard work & willingness of your pre-health committee to vouch for you. Several schools have stated on their admissions website that they prefer a committee letter from applicants, and some schools (i.e. ECU) even require one.

I was accepted to 7 schools this cycle, waiting until July did not harm me in any way. July is early! Message me if you have questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
So my school provides HCL; HOWEVER, they will not be able to submit it until late July/ beginning of August. I am planning on getting my application ready to go by June 10th with everything ready. So if I use the HCL, my application will be basically delayed for 1.5 months. So I am thinking of submitting 3 individual letters which will likely be ready by June.
Can anyone give some advice on choosing to use HCL for late July submission vs individual letters for early June submission?
Thanks a lot!
I wouldn’t. That’s assuming everything goes smoothly and then maybe you would get by late July/early August. And if you don’t get it by then? What are you going to do? That’s already going towards late August/ September.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your exact shoes this past cycle. My committee letter wasn’t able to be done until July 31st. Important to remember: you can submit your applications without your DAT score/LORs. I sent my app in on the first day the app opened in June to get it verified, and my committee letter was uploaded by my pre health committee in July.

Based on my experience, get the committee letter. It is a testament to your hard work & willingness of your pre-health committee to vouch for you. Several schools have stated on their admissions website that they prefer a committee letter from applicants, and some schools (i.e. ECU) even require one.

I was accepted to 7 schools this cycle, waiting until July did not harm me in any way. July is early! Message me if you have questions :)

Thank you so much! I messaged you.

I wouldn’t. That’s assuming everything goes smoothly and then maybe you would get by late July/early August. And if you don’t get it by then? What are you going to do? That’s already going towards late August/ September.
I am just worried that all previous applicants in my school used HCL and it seems that HCL worked. However, I am very worried about the time line though. How much can applying early help? Is end of July considered early?

From my observation of applicants who weren't accepted, the BIGGEST common factor is because they waited too long. I cannot emphasize this enough but applying late is the most self-damaging you can inflict on your application (not GPA, not DAT). Always apply within 2 weeks when the application cycle opens and latest would be 1 month. If you can't get the committee letter on time, then just use individual letters. Letters from who don't really matter. It's about the quality of the letters.

Some dental schools do specify wanting committee letters if they are offered your school, and individual letters are only accepted if they do not have committee letters. So I would take that into consideration, and maybe it would be worth calling a few of the schools you're applying to and asking them directly.

I don't think end of July is late at all. I applied in mid-September and still got acceptances. Obviously, the earlier you apply, the better, just to eliminate one extra potential barrier...but I think applying in June-July is perfectly fine.

Thanks a lot!
Waiting that long will severely hamper your chances of getting interview. Early is always better