Still waiting for a single interview request (Temple, Tufts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kush87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:beat:
I am just frustrated at this point. I dont get it. I applied to 12 schools this cycle and not a single interview yet. When are the last interview requests emailed.? (specifically for Temple and Tufts)

PAT 20
QR 18
RC 16:mad: Might be the reason for no interviews
Bio 19
GC 25
OC 20
TS 21
AA 20

Man o man ...not even my state school interviewed me ....alksjdf;laksjfa;

Members don't see this ad.

wow... that is quite strange... did you apply really late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple sent out watlist interviews a week or so ago, so they are probably done

Tufts is definitely done, I asked them a few weeks ago

wow... that is quite strange... did you apply really late?

AADSAS mailed my application to dental schools on Aug 25, 2008
and i took my DAT on Sept 3, 2008...was frapped btw

Sorry to hear that...if your screenname "kush87" means that you were born in 1987, you're quite young...so don't be too hurt if you have to take a year off! It will probably end up being the best year of your life - everyone I know who took time off between undergrad and dental school is really glad they did. I think your DAT scores are quite good, but if you end up not getting anywhere this cycle, study your booty off and kill it and you'll do awesome next cycle :) G'luck!

I know someone who had a 3.6 sGPA from RU who still hasnt gotten a single interview, all because he applied late (around the same time that you did). Apply for next cycle, I'm sure you will make it :)

Your personal statement didn't say something like "I want to be the richest man in the world and will be anything to acheive this goal, including drowning children" did it? If not, I'm not sure why you didn't get any interviews.

Your RC score is probably keeping you out. Retake. GPA seems alright and rest of DAT is also good. Pres of predent club? Hmmm..

Honestly, it just seems as though your app was sent out a little late. I would imagine if you apply the very first day next cycle, and maybe add in a few more schools (get to 15 or so), you should be a lock to get something next year. Alsol, I don't know what schools you applied to, but mainly I would focus on private schools and your state school. SOME other state schools might give you a chance, but not many. Don't get to down, you should be in FOR SURE next year if you apply really early and select schools wisely!

Best of luck to you!

Oh, and you might want to retake the DAT's (earlier than Sep this time b/c most schools don't consider your app finished until ALL materials are at there school [I think]) because th 16 rc does hurt. Yet, I got in with a 17rc (piano), so take that for what you will.

to tell you the truth the Reading is your weak spot, and it is way late for a seat in almost any school, I mean they may interview for a waiting list, however God can do amazing things have faith keep praying and you go nothing to lose, my friend got accepted to his top school and only school on Aug1 last year so everything is poosible, BUT make sure you retake the DAT and bring up that RC! Good luck

I am in the same situation but I applied late in october. I am waiting to hear from UIC, SIU, and NYU (no interview yet). However my weakest score is in PAT (16). I decided to apply early next cycle but who knows I might be lucky to get a spot this year.

I think you should call the dean of admission (your top choice school) and ask him/her how you can improve your application before applying. I agree your RC does hurt but your overall dat score is good.

Best of Luck!

Well, 16 RC is definitely lowering your chance of getting interviews but I'd wanna say it's not the main red-flag on your application...
I myself had 7 interviews w/ 16 RC...
I've seen alot of guys at interviews w/ 16 RC or even lower than that like 15 & 14...

I think the key is applying early...
You should submit everything by end of july & it will make your apllication so much more competative...
I bet if you did it in this cycle, you're in already...
So, be hopeful... The rest of your #'s pretty good...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should call the dean of admission (your top choice school) and ask him/her how you can improve your application before applying.

I agree with this! Call all the schools you are interested in and didn't get invites from and ask them what you can do to improve your application - then do it :) I know people for whom this worked!

I totally agree with the post above me! But dont retake the DAT, your scores are great! I think because you applied late. Most schools wont look at your application until you have takin the DAT so they probably looked at late in Sept. or Oct. which is pretty late. Apply early and you wil definitly get in!!

I am just frustrated at this point. I dont get it. I applied to 12 schools this cycle and not a single interview yet. When are the last interview requests emailed.? (specifically for Temple and Tufts)

PAT 20
QR 18
Bio 19
GC 25
OC 20
TS 21
AA 20

I have no great words of wisdom... but just thought id say hello to a fellow Scarlet Knight!!!!

And if your state school is UMDNJ,... don't worry. It is a tough tough school... I spoke with admissions many times, and they had an outrageous year apparently... So many qualified applicants because of the economy and stuff... They dont heavily favor in-state (some schools only take 2 or 3 out of state students)... Predents says its 58 / 38. Many out of staters find it appealing because you can get residency w/in one year... and it's really reasonably priced.

Thats how I make myself feel better for being snubbed (when my dad was an alum)... granted my GPAs arent hot.

I was frapped too by the way. Sucked.

A lot of people seem to be saying you didn't get anything because you were late, but I retook my DATs on October 21st, so I don't think that's what the problem is. I also submitted my AADSAS in June, but I know that it wasn't mailed out until September 3rd because of my LORs being held up by an office move. Your GPA is ok and your scores are good, even with the 16. I would call the schools after this cycle is over, explain your situation, and ask if you can talk to someone who will tell you why you weren't given an interview, because this seems really strange. I'm sure if you apply again in June you'll definitely get interviews.

I agree with zorie. I don't thikn its when you applied--I applied late september and still got 3 interviews with a GPA a little lower and similar DAT (but none under 18).

Either way--I would take a look at your personal statement. Maybe something was missing... maybe you can improve it somehow. At my interviews I noticed they brought a lot up from my PS and perhaps you are lacking in that area. OTher areas to consider are letters of rec and the extracirriculars you listed.

I think your GPA and DAT are fine but maybe you need ot sell yourself better?

A lot of people seem to be saying you didn't get anything because you were late, but I retook my DATs on October 21st, so I don't think that's what the problem is. I also submitted my AADSAS in June, but I know that it wasn't mailed out until September 3rd because of my LORs being held up by an office move. Your GPA is ok and your scores are good, even with the 16. I would call the schools after this cycle is over, explain your situation, and ask if you can talk to someone who will tell you why you weren't given an interview, because this seems really strange. I'm sure if you apply again in June you'll definitely get interviews.

+1

I agree... I didn't take my DATs til mid-September, and didn't pay all my application fees until early October. Granted, all my interviews came after December 1st, but I am surprised that the OP didn't get even one invite with his/her numbers.

I'd say that there's probably something else other than the DAT. Like zorie suggested, calling the schools and asking about it would probably be a wise thing to do :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your input...i just called temple again and Brian was also VERY surprised by this, that not even UMDNJ invited me for an interview. Temple is currently sending out invites for waiting list so if i dont hear from them in a week or two then i will have to reapply. He also said that... for many schools low score in even one area can give them excuse to reject you when they have 4000 other applicants to go through.
Tufts said i will have to retake my DAT and reapply next cycle

that sux about Tufts, sorry to hear it :(

I called Temple today. There are only 5 or six seats left.

PAT 20
QR 18
Bio 19
GC 25
OC 20
TS 21
AA 20

Well, that's kinda weird. I actually retook my DAT on Nov 27th, after getting a 17 on Aug 27th...I dont know man, we have REALLY similar stats and I am not bragging or trying to put you down or anything, but I actually got 3 interviews post Dec 1st. My AADSAS gpa is a 3.34 with a 3.18science and my DAT scores are 19/20/21. Lowest secton being bio with an 18. I think reading comp just might be your cherry on the sundae

Where did you apply? If you don't mind me asking.

I also have similar stats and only got an interview at Temple Dental...but I go to Temple Undergrad...

I had 17/18/21 and retook it in December 2008 and got 19/20/20 and by that time it was too late for other schools i applied to to look at my application but Temple still gave me shot...

I am still on the wait list. :idea:

Where did you apply? If you don't mind me asking.

I also have similar stats and only got an interview at Temple Dental...but I go to Temple Undergrad...

I had 17/18/21 and retook it in December 2008 and got 19/20/20 and by that time it was too late for other schools i applied to to look at my application but Temple still gave me shot...

I am still on the wait list. :idea:

UMDNJ, NYU, TEMPLE, BU, TUFTS, VCU, PITT, AZ, WESTU, CWR
I have 3 days for an interview invite. If i dont get it in next 3 days i will have to reapply. :mad:
Good Luck

AADSAS mailed my application to dental schools on Aug 25, 2008
and i took my DAT on Sept 3, 2008...was frapped btw

You applied really really REALLY REALLY LATE.

No other reason for you not getting interviews. Below average RC and below average GPA are not the reason for your not getting interviews. Apply by June 1st next cycle (2 months from now) and you will almost certainly get interviews and acceptances, assuming your ECs, Personal Statement, and Letters of Rec are excellent. In the meantime, if you can bring up your GPA, do that. I don't think you need to retake the DAT, JUST APPLY EARLY NEXT TIME.

I just got pulled off of Temple's waitlist...feels good to have some security now...

The end of August is hardly applying "late". The op never mentioned his/her GPA, or extracurricular activities. There are so many factors that come into play when evaluating an applicant that you can't accurately predict who gets in, and who doesn't. It could just boil down to one evaluator having a bad day when they ran across your application.

The end of August is hardly applying "late". The op never mentioned his/her GPA, or extracurricular activities. There are so many factors that come into play when evaluating an applicant that you can't accurately predict who gets in, and who doesn't. It could just boil down to one evaluator having a bad day when they ran across your application.

By the end of August, interviews were started and many schools sent out their first round of invites.

I have when that happens

Also, tinman, Ricky Bobby said if you're not first, you're last.

You guys are missing the part where he/she said that AADSAS MAILED his app end of August. Meaning he applied early to mid July. Not extremely late... I have no idea. I doubt all those schools would exclude you bc of 16. (case would) Did you ever bother calling schools besides temple???

I received a Temple invite yesterday for a waitlist spot, however I will not be attending. Best of luck to you, I was sure I was down and out as well, but miracles do happen.