Stimwave Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looked back at old threads, didn't see too much discussion on stimwave.

Anyone out there using/has used/thinking about using stimwave?

I think its a novel? idea, nice not to have a battery to implant. But the rep support is TERRIBLE so I'm not confident to try them out, if they can't get back to me, how's it going to be for the patients?

I went to training in Baltimore 2+ years back and then never heard from a rep until this year...I thought they had folded or something...

TIA,
Rexed.

Members don't see this ad.

Using them for peripheral, and considering them for neuraxial in high risk patients.

Agree with rep support but supposedly they are changing their model to be more similar to the usual SCS reps. They're just a small company, but their hardware is well positioned to compete with anything from Abbot/Medtronic/Boston/Nevro.

As compared to the older RF systems, there is no bulky implanted receiving coil as it's all in the lead, and their external antennas are rather small/flexible/robust for wearing.

I'd rather have the internal generator than the external antenna/battery apparatus in most cases, but it does obviate the need for surgical skills though, and you can bill 63685 as it's an inductive coupling system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need the same skills. You still have to make a midline incision, anchor the lead, anchor the tail of the lead, cover everything back up.

I have done 3 trials and one implant. The leads are hollow and don’t have enough rigidity to place them easily.

Hi all, looked back at old threads, didn't see too much discussion on stimwave.

Anyone out there using/has used/thinking about using stimwave?

I think its a novel? idea, nice not to have a battery to implant. But the rep support is TERRIBLE so I'm not confident to try them out, if they can't get back to me, how's it going to be for the patients?

I went to training in Baltimore 2+ years back and then never heard from a rep until this year...I thought they had folded or something...

TIA,
Rexed.

Agree with rep support issues. Did about 10 for a study in fellowship last year. They had some issues with their anchors and infections. Had one instance where the leads migrated all the way into the epidural space. They switched to the click anchors after that and no further trouble. But the reps were also putting the external antenna on our fresh incisions which lead to some nasty looking wounds and a couple explants.

Hmm... sounds very familiar.
I would post a pic if we were on the private forum. But not pretty!

Not Stimwave, but was hearing a horror story about a case where leads disconnected from a battery, migrated from the anchors, and wound up above the foramen magnum.

You guys don't put an occlusive dressing over your wounds? or was this intraoperative programming without a probe cover?