Straight forward advice needed - poor SMP - help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singtax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Docs,

First time poster, long time lurker. Not sure where to begin, as my situation is a little complicated. Thank you for taking the time to read through my story.

Some background stats are undergrad GPA 3.45 sGPA 3.41 MCAT 30. Excellent ECs, lots of direct patient contact.

I applied to DO schools but my application was submitted towards the end of the cycle and I did not get much love. At the time, I was accepted to an SMP at a DO school and decided to go through with it as I did not want to be away from school for long and was already taking a year off to work. This is where things go wrong.

Disaster hit me during the SMP. My father had lost his job and my family would be losing the house shortly. Not long after that, my grandfather passed away (very close to my family, lived with us for a long time) and then two weeks after that my cousin, who I viewed as a younger brother, suddenly passed away as well. This barrage of bad news broke me. I was terribly depressed and lost sight of my path. I isolated myself and couldn't study. The biggest problem here is I didn't ask for help.

Needless to say, I did poorly during that block of the SMP. I got together with the program directors but had to withdraw-fail from a class and barely passed the others with Cs. Ultimately, I went back to finish the SMP and retake the classes from the disaster block. I was forced to work on the side and made mostly Bs. I had no choice but to work, I took out a private loan but had to pay to retake the classes.

I ended up with an overall 2.8 gpa in the SMP.

Since then, I have managed to gain a decent career (working in the field of the class I had to withdraw-fail from strangely enough). I had given up on the idea of medical school but I can't seem to shake it and find myself looking back constantly. I want to reapply but I feel hopeless.

Stats again for convenience: ungGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 30 smpGPA 2.81

1. Did I mess this up beyond repair?
2. Is my SMP gpa too poor to overcome?
3. How will they view the SMP and my extenuating circumstances during that time? (The SMP was at a DO school - two directors of the SMP program have offered to write me LoRs.)
4. What are my chances for reapplication to DO schools?
5. What can I do to strengthen my application?
6. I really would prefer to stay within the US but if I had to look at Caribbean schools, which ones should be on my list?
7. Should I be discussing my hardship in my personal statement if I apply?
8. Any other advice or insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow sorry you had to go through that. My understanding is that DO schools do grade replacement, so there's a bonus there. Also, the SMP you attended was associated with a DO school; as these folks know you (and your performance/situation) best, I would suggest speaking with them for some advice. Perhaps that institution is more willing to take the "risk" of admitting you whereas others might be more cautious. I would presume you would need to discuss the circumstances around your poor SMP performance somewhere in the app (perhaps in the PS), but it will have to be well-written, and insightful (e.g. did you learn to ask for help and build a strong support system which will help you when facing the crap of the universe later in life? etc...) Sorry I'm of little help. I wish you the best. I would recommend you speak to @Goro about these things, as he is an expert here (IMO).

Reactions: 1 user
No

1. Did I mess this up beyond repair?

no!
2. Is my SMP gpa too poor to overcome?

We'll most likely take the view that we're terribly sorry all these things happened, but really, you made some very bad choices in trying to bull your way through instead of simply withdrawing and returning at a later date. We're gun shy of applicants like this. Also, you have yet to demonstrate that you can survive a medical school curriculum, which is what the SMP was for. Extenuating circumstances explain why things happened, but they don't' offer proof as to your academic capabilities.

3. How will they view the SMP and my extenuating circumstances during that time? (The SMP was at a DO school - two directors of the SMP program have offered to write me LoRs.)

As of right now? Zero
4. What are my chances for reapplication to DO schools?

Re-do the SMP. this is the ONLY way you're ever get into med school
5. What can I do to strengthen my application?

Look, you've already made one major foolish career choice, don't' make another one. Carib schools mean you'll be unemployed and deeply in debt. they feast upon desperate gullible people like you. Just search these forums to find out why and how.
6. I really would prefer to stay within the US but if I had to look at Caribbean schools, which ones should be on my list?

Only after you repeat the SMP and ace it (> 3.6 GPA). And always have a Plan B.
7. Should I be discussing my hardship in my personal statement if I apply?

Reactions: 1 users