Strengths and weaknesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayemee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am completely going crazy over what to pick as my strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths are pretty easy, I’m thinking ambitious, amiable, and discipline.

As for weaknesses...introvert and then I’m stuck. I don’t know what else that would look completely and utterly bad. I’m thinking stubborn. It’s hard to convince me of something or sway my opinion.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I am completely going crazy over what to pick as my strengths and weaknesses.

As for weaknesses...introvert and then I’m stuck. I don’t know what else that would look completely and utterly bad. I’m thinking stubborn. It’s hard to convince me of something or sway my opinion.

Should I just leave it at one weakness with introvert since that can cover a variety of issues?

Try to brainstorm what your weaknesses are as they relate to your strengths. For example, I'm ambitious, but I tend to take on too much at a time because of that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to brainstorm what your weaknesses are as they relate to your strengths. For example, I'm ambitious, but I tend to take on too much at a time because of that.
Hmmm...I could say I tend to think way too much into things and it’s hard to move on to something new until I’ve figured out the problem at hand. I also thought of another possible weakness of mine. Gum chewing and loud chewing. It absolutely irks me and almost seems as if it raises my blood pressure because it makes me anxious. Would that be too silly?

I also thought of another possible weakness of mine. Gum chewing and loud chewing. It absolutely irks me and almost seems as if it raises my blood pressure because it makes me anxious. Would that be too silly?
I feel like that ones more of a pet peeve than a weakness but if you have some way of coping with someone doing that and calming yourself down, you could potentially put that, but I still don't really consider it a weakness.

But with any weaknesses you mention, I'd say you should say how you're trying to overcome them and not just say "I'm introverted"

Eh. I'm not too fond of the pat-yourself-on-the-back answers like "I tend to work too hard." PP's answer didn't quite approach that - taking on too much is a genuine weakness - but much beyond that and you're into the territory of 'fake' weaknesses where you're really trying to impress with your answer. (The classic "I work too hard" type of answer.)

I would just be honest. If you can honestly state your weaknesses, it shows you can recognize and manage them.

Stubbornness can be a healthy quality in some contexts, but it can be unhealthy in others - you could talk about being stubborn and how you manage it to make sure that you're still open to learning and correction.

I get nervous when people say things like "I could say ...." It sounds like you're trying to sorta craft the response you think they want to hear.

Just be honest: What are your actual weaknesses? What do you do poorly? Where do you struggle? What situations do you succeed in (strength); and what situations do you not succeed in (weakness)?

If you can't come up with real weaknesses, ask your closest relatives or friends. They'll know. The trick will be convincing them that it won't damage the relationship for them to level with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm...I could say I tend to think way too much into things and it’s hard to move on to something new until I’ve figured out the problem at hand. I also thought of another possible weakness of mine. Gum chewing and loud chewing. It absolutely irks me and almost seems as if it raises my blood pressure because it makes me anxious. Would that be too silly?
Wait what is the context of this anyways? Are you brainstorming for a job interview?

Pet peeves aren't weaknesses. To determine your strengths and weaknesses, you have to take a minute and look at yourself to figure it out.

BTW, I don't consider introversion to be inherently a 'weakness'.

It can have positive implications and it can have negative implications.

So can extroversion.

I am an introvert, and I certainly don't consider it a weakness. I have plenty of weaknesses; but that ain't one.

Reactions: 7 users
Being an introvert is not a weakness. A lot of people think this, and we are undervalued in the work place because of it.

Yes, I’d rather curl up and read a book than go with you to the mall. I think and analyze ideas to myself, and carefully choose what I’m going to say instead of blurting it out. I am thoughtful, and pensive. I may be quieter than most, but when I do share my thoughts with others they are meaningful and important to me. I do not feel the need to fill a quiet space with noise. I like the company of others but I am also comfortable in solidarity.

Is this a weakness? Think about it.. like the true introvert you are ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Being an introvert is not a weakness. A lot of people think this, and we are undervalued in the work place because of it.

Yes, I’d rather curl up and read a book than go with you to the mall. I think and analyze ideas to myself, and carefully choose what I’m going to say instead of blurting it out. I am thoughtful, and pensive. I may be quieter than most, but when I do share my thoughts with others they are meaningful and important to me. I do not feel the need to fill a quiet space with noise. I like the company of others but I am also comfortable in solidarity.

I've never read a more accurate description of myself lol

Reactions: 2 users

This is me, but if I truly open up to you... brace yourself!

If you can easily think of strengths but not think of any weaknesses you have (this goes for everyone, not just the OP) you obviously have never really taken an honest look at yourself.

Reactions: 1 users

That's what weaknesses are supposed to be. Bad things and things that hold you back. The key is how you recognize these "bad" things, admit you have them, and what concrete steps you take to minimize them.

The other replies here completely stole the words out of my mouth but echoing what the other commenters have said above, weaknesses are not meant to secretly be strengths that you've just rephrased or things that are secretly totally fine things to be. When someone is asking you a strengths and weaknesses question for a job interview or a school interview they're not asking to see if you can check the boxes for that question, they're asking to see if you're capable of introspection and can give thoughtful and honest feedback about yourself. They're also looking to see if you can recognize your weak areas and have an idea of how to develop them or work with others to help fill in the gaps that you (and all of us) have in your skillsets and personal abilities/traits.

As an example,
I am strong: at brainstorming and creative work
I am weak: I often lack the motivation and drive to follow through on completing many tasks once they become uninteresting to me
and thusly: I need to work on developing my ability to focus and my ability to follow through on important tasks
I can improve/have worked on improving my strength in this area by: setting stricter project deadlines for myself to keep myself motivated or interspersing creative work with tasks that I find more tedious so I can keep my interest in my work more consistent
I could also work on this weakness by working with people who: are good at keeping me on task and who are diligent at making sure we finish the job even if it isn't as fun to do anymore. I could also work with people who are passionate about tasks that I am not, as I am often more driven when I am working with someone who enjoys a task that I don't vs. when I am working with someone with similar interests to myself

You will often find that small exercises like the above will help you think through your strengths and weaknesses more thoughtfully. You may also find that strengths will often have concomitant weaknesses and vice versa, though this is definitely not always the case. I encourage you to sit back and spend some time thinking about things you're good at (what have you gotten reviews or feedback on at work? from loved ones? in school?) vs things that often come up as issues in your life (are you a procrastinator? prone to prioritize work over personal life? quick to anger?).

Reactions: 4 users
Also, not that it's entirely relevant, but just being shy with new people
Eh. I'm not too fond of the pat-yourself-on-the-back answers like "I tend to work too hard." PP's answer didn't quite approach that - taking on too much is a genuine weakness - but much beyond that and you're into the territory of 'fake' weaknesses where you're really trying to impress with your answer. (The classic "I work too hard" type of answer.)

I would just be honest. If you can honestly state your weaknesses, it shows you can recognize and manage them.

Stubbornness can be a healthy quality in some contexts, but it can be unhealthy in others - you could talk about being stubborn and how you manage it to make sure that you're still open to learning and correction.

I get nervous when people say things like "I could say ...." It sounds like you're trying to sorta craft the response you think they want to hear.

Just be honest: What are your actual weaknesses? What do you do poorly? Where do you struggle? What situations do you succeed in (strength); and what situations do you not succeed in (weakness)?

If you can't come up with real weaknesses, ask your closest relatives or friends. They'll know. The trick will be convincing them that it won't damage the relationship for them to level with you.
Yeah, my problem is moreso that I'm ambitious and take on too much, then get overwhelmed and end up being subpar at everything I do :smack:

Like others have said, to answer this question you need to be completely honest with yourself. I was asked this question in my last job interview and I said at times I can get overwhelmed when I have a lot on my plate and try to complete too many tasks at once. I went in to say that to manage this I force myself to often take a step back, re-evaluate my tasks and prioritize them into smaller lists (most time sensitive to least). I find that by breaking it up into small goals it is easier to deal with.