stressed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, its quite troublesome. I need to study and get work done. I think the urge to masturbate has to do with our societies view on physical appearance. We idealize people based on their physical characteristics when in reality these things will diminish with time.

Enough of that however, I've been doing this for a while and I really want to stop. I was wondering if you guys had ways to get rid of the urge? I was thinking about seeing a urologist to potentially sever nerve supply to the cavernous muscle. I am that serious.

I have no desire to have children nor do I want to waste time having sex. I just want to study, do well on clinical rotations, and be a good contribution to society.

I'm being totally serious here. The way I feel after masturbating is simply unnerving. My cognitive abilities and motor skills get quite impaired, this is not a good thing of a 25 year old male who will be holding lives in his hands in a few years come intern year.

:whoa:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a bit similar situation to the OP. I find that masturbating does work, but for me, I have a different issue.

After, I masturbate, I get this intense headache and I'm not good for the next 24 hours. I feel so tired and I just want to close my eyes and rest. It may be underlying sleep deprivation, but I totally find my productivity declines after masturbating.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same experience?

uhhh, no. Dude go get checked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, its quite troublesome. I need to study and get work done. I think the urge to masturbate has to do with our societies view on physical appearance. We idealize people based on their physical characteristics when in reality these things will diminish with time.

Enough of that however, I've been doing this for a while and I really want to stop. I was wondering if you guys had ways to get rid of the urge? I was thinking about seeing a urologist to potentially sever nerve supply to the cavernous muscle. I am that serious.

I have no desire to have children nor do I want to waste time having sex. I just want to study, do well on clinical rotations, and be a good contribution to society.

I'm being totally serious here. The way I feel after masturbating is simply unnerving. My cognitive abilities and motor skills get quite impaired, this is not a good thing of a 25 year old male who will be holding lives in his hands in a few years come intern year.
I would see someone. I mean getting sleepy after an orgasm is totally normal but I've never heard about the other symptoms you are describing and if it's truly bothering you i would seek professional help instead of posting for a bunch of medical students.

Also i have no idea how one could see sex as a waste of time. But that's just me.

I'm done with this.

Last edited:
I would see someone. I mean getting sleepy after an orgasm is totally normal but I've never heard about the other symptoms you are describing and if it's truly bothering you i would seek professional help instead of posting for a bunch of medical students.

Also i have no idea how one could see sex as a waste of time. But that's just me.

If Mr. TP ever gets boring, please PM me.

No, your urge to masturbate is hormonally mediated. Unless your solution is to castrate yourself, I don't suggest doing it as you could cause more problems than it's worth. Same for clipping nerves just bc you think certain functions are "annoying". Seriously, stop thinking you're some type of robot, where your only function is to study, memorize, and take exams. Holding lives in your hands, doesn't mean you don't have fun, you don't have sex, you don't masturbate.

Your justifying not doing things bc you will hold lives in your hands, is a complete cop out and will destroy you in residency (if you even get to that point).

Is anxiety and depression really anymore "frustrating" than high blood sugars and high blood pressure? The only difference is one is objectively quantifiable and one really isn't. Unless you're referring to the demeanor of patients.

poor adherence is an inherent aspect of the disease, especially with depression; i.e., lack of initiative in taking meds, cognitive dysfunction leading to forgetting to take meds, etc.

of course you could argue that increased blood sugars and diabetes select for patients who are non-adherent, but I'm arguing more that the sequelae of mental illness are risk factors for poor adherence.

edit: that's a frustrating aspect of psych

poor adherence is an inherent aspect of the disease, especially with depression; i.e., lack of initiative in taking meds, cognitive dysfunction leading to forgetting to take meds, etc.

of course you could argue that increased blood sugars and diabetes select for patients who are non-adherent, but I'm arguing more that the sequelae of mental illness are risk factors for poor adherence.

edit: that's a frustrating aspect of psych
Except I don't think the issue above was regarding non-adherence, but more taking meds and those meds not working.

poor adherence is a big cause of treatment failure
Yeah, and drugs not working is also a big cause of treatment failure as well. It's why you have 70 year old patients on polypharmacy for their hypertension.

Yeah, and drugs not working is also a big cause of treatment failure as well. It's why you have 70 year old patients on polypharmacy for their hypertension.

i'm not arguing with you. but i do think psych presents challenges, classically those with regards to the nature of the disease which can adversely impact how patients respond to their treatment regiments. i don't know if you can say the same thing about hypertension, until it causes a stroke which makes it difficult for the patients to take care of themselves

i'm not arguing with you. but i do think psych presents challenges, classically those with regards to the nature of the disease which can adversely impact how patients respond to their treatment regiments. i don't know if you can say the same thing about hypertension, until it causes a stroke which makes it difficult for the patients to take care of themselves
Yes, but as a primary care physician your job is to adequately manage their hypertension. If the person strokes out and then wishes to sue, all they have to do is go back to your medical records to see how well (or not well) you managed it.

Yes, but as a primary care physician your job is to adequately manage their hypertension. If the person strokes out and then wishes to sue, all they have to do is go back to your medical records to see how well (or not well) you managed it.

i'm not really sure what you're trying to discuss here. I was responding to this: " The only difference is one is objectively quantifiable and one really isn't." I don't agree that that's the only distinction you can make between a psychiatrist treating a mental illness and a PCP treating HTN.

i'm not really sure what you're trying to discuss here. I was responding to this: " The only difference is one is objectively quantifiable and one really isn't." I don't agree that that's the only distinction you can make between a psychiatrist treating a mental illness and a PCP treating HTN.
My initial response was to the person saying that dealing with psych patients is more "frustrating". As if dealing with someone's uncontrollable blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. aren't just as frustrating if not more. I never said that's the ONLY distinction.

My initial response was to the person saying that dealing with psych patients is more "frustrating". As if dealing with someone's uncontrollable blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. aren't just as frustrating if not more. I never said that's the ONLY distinction.

okay, but I do think that nature of the diseases in psych inherently make them more frustrating to treat for some of the reasons I mentioned earlier.

okay, but I do think that nature of the diseases in psych inherently make them more frustrating to treat for some of the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Adherence is no different whether it's a psych med, HTN med, whatever. The only difference is the manifestation.