Stuck in a problem-Repost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocHopefl

TheFuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to make a long story short, i'm confused on whether to hold off on ROTC and concentrate on my studies to get into a med school, or if i should stay in ROTC and do somewhat well on my grades.

are there options where i could join the military during/after medical school?

if i don't get into a med school, are there options to get into the military? i've heard of BOT.

btw, my branch would be Air Force. i'm just really in a weird situation right now, and i figure it would be best to hear from those who are in right now to give me the right feedback.

thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your reasons for pursuing the ROTC scholarship. I am assuming that you are in ROTC and on scholarship.

ROTC will not interfere with your studies much if at all. In ARMY ROTC, you have FTX over a weekend about every month. Not much of a time commitment there. Unless AFROTC has changed from when I was in college, AFROTC cadets have it very, very easy andare in far more less stressful environment.

If you have any problems, it may be having take an ROTC class and there is a required class for your major or to satisfy general education requirements that meets at the same time. Talk to your PMS or APMS (Professor of Military Science or Assistant Professor of Military Science) and request to enroll in the independent study section of the military science course.

Being in ROTC will not hurt you at all and will in fact help you.

When you get ready to apply to medical school, you could apply to the military medical school (USUHS http://www.usuhs.mil) or apply for a Health Professions Scholarship to atten d ANY medical school of your choosing in the country. Search the web or here for information on either of the programs and the pros and cons of each.

Good Luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
jsnuka said:
ROTC will not interfere with your studies much if at all.

ROTC programs vary significantly. You apparently went to an easy school for undergrad and had a laid back cadre. For those of us who went to competitive schools and majored in competitive areas, ROTC is a signficant time drain.

For starters:
1.) You have to get up at 5:45am 3 times per week. The West Pointers in charge of you won't think it's a big deal, except that they don't realize that it's impossible to get to sleep early if you live in a dorm b/c of noise. So have fun being sleep deprived 3 days per week for your entire freshman year; hope it doesn't impact your exams! And the kicker is that most of the PT sessions we had were pretty weak in terms of exercise (you'd spend half the time in formation with the seniors yelling at the juniors to do the commands right). So if you wanted to be in good shape you had to work out on your own either later that night or on the weekends.

2.) FTX's take up the whole weekend and you have ZERO free time during them. Plus you'll get little sleep. This was pretty inconvenient for us when we had exams the following week. And oh yeah, it was REALLY inconvenient for the people who were taking the Spring MCAT the week afterward (make sure you take it in the summer).

3.) The weekly class and lab take up the entire afternoon and WILL interfere with a class you want to take. It was next to impossible to get excused from it at my school unless there was no other way you could graduate.

4.) Third year of ROTC is especially time consuming. We had several people in the class above me (the ones who were in harde majors) fail a couple classes during it. That actually worked to my benefit though b/c whenever they tried giving me **** during exam times I could just remind them of what happened last year and they'd back off.

5.) If you're applying to medical school, avoid ROTC and go HPSP or FAP instead. Aside from the academic drain, even more important is the fact that many people do not get into med school the first time they apply. Most people just do some research and reapply, and frequently then get in (this accounts for a huge number of people in med school). If you're in the military, this won't be an option. You'll have to pray that you get in immediately, or you could be stuck being a quartermaster for four years and having to retake the MCAT, reapply after four years, etc . . .

Mirror Form said:
ROTC programs vary significantly. You apparently went to an easy school for undergrad and had a laid back cadre. For those of us who went to competitive schools and majored in competitive areas, ROTC is a signficant time drain.

. . .

I am going to be nice and just not say anything. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jsnuka said:
I am going to be nice and just not say anything. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry if I don't like it when I see someone giving out horrendous advice.

you used to be able to opt out of the rotc scholarship after freshman year with no repayment necessary. that way you could try it out to see if you like it. anyone know if you can still do that?