Stuck in a terrible situation...feeling hopeless about MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Schools are really good at knowing whether or not you move there for residency purposes. On TMDAS there is a residency section where it calculates if you are a resident based off of years living in TX, tax returns, or dependent status. It would be hard to just move there for a few months and expect residency.

Yeah, I understand that…I was planning on living there for a year and working full-time before applying next cycle. By that time, I should be a TX resident according to their requirements right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I understand that…I was planning on living there for a year and working full-time before applying next cycle. By that time, I should be a TX resident according to their requirements right?
I"m not really sure. They had this section where they compared the lengths of time you lived in a different state vs the time you lived in TX. It could work, but some guy tried moving to Mississippi for a year and worked and then tried to become instate bc Mississippi is one of the easiest places to get admission. It didn't work, because they said the fact that he only lived there for one year made it less likely for him to have formed significant ties to the state.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait is this a joke?
You got a 516 and a large amount of schools DO NOT average scores. I don't understand why you think you can't become an MD

School policy is misleading. Screeners and adcoms can see all scores and how they proceed with multiple scores can be anyone's guess. They aren't required to follow school policy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This kind of mentality is what causes people who take the test two or three times to freak out.

I get that. But more schools are moving away from this school of thought.

I already mentioned on another thread, but many more medical schools are interviewing a high amount of candidates who have taken the test multiple times. They admire the dedication.

Hey there. I talked to a family friend who is a member of an MD adcom.

Amazing, a premed telling a adcom how it is.

Reactions: 4 users
I was speaking on behalf of Texas, which has different rule than AMCAS, and by a list published that describes how schools look at multiple scores. (spoiler: No need to be snarky about it :rolleyes:)
But please, enlighten us all to what Texas prefers when it comes to multiple MCAT scores, since I'm assuming you have a lot of experience with them? Right...?
None of those caveats are mentioned in your initial post, and your language is way too overconfident/certain based on the limited knowledge you do have. Furthermore, there's no indication in this thread that we were talking about TX from the get-go, so jumping in with a broad, generalized statement like "many more medical schools..." and "they admire" when you really mean "this one guy I talked to and a document about TX schools which aren't even what you guys are discussing" is pretty ridiculous. Arguing with an adcom who is actually experienced with a medical school not within TX's completely separate application group as if your knowledge discredits their's when discussing AMCAS applications is even more ridiculous.

I don't have a lot of experience with what TX does with multiple MCAT scores, but at least I'm capable of recognizing a) that I don't and shouldn't act like I do, b) that TX advice can't be generalized to AMCAS, and c) I should put on blinkers when changing the conversation topic
:=|:-):

Reactions: 5 users
None of those caveats are mentioned in your initial post, and your language is way too overconfident/certain based on the limited knowledge you do have. Furthermore, there's no indication in this thread that we were talking about TX from the get-go, so jumping in with a broad, generalized statement like "many more medical schools..." and "they admire" when you really mean "this one guy I talked to and a document about TX schools which aren't even what you guys are discussing" is pretty ridiculous. Arguing with an adcom who is actually experienced with a medical school not within TX's completely separate application group as if your knowledge discredits their's when discussing AMCAS applications is even more ridiculous.

I don't have a lot of experience with what TX does with multiple MCAT scores, but at least I'm capable of recognizing a) that I don't and shouldn't act like I do, b) that TX advice can't be generalized to AMCAS, and c) I should put on blinkers when changing the conversation topic

I'm just surprised this discussion spanned two pages in few hours.

I never said I was right and Gyngyn was wrong. However, I would hope that any physician would realize there is never a 100% they are right about anything. I would encourage anyone who has doubts about schools that average med schools to look on the websites, or better yet, call the schools themselves. The best knowledge comes directly from the schools. I am sure gyngyn (who I respect greatly) an agree that she does not know the policy of every single school. AMCAS (or even TMDAS) for that matter can make all the suggestions they want, the school is where people get the best information. Good luck with medical school :)

Eek! I forgot that adcoms are always right lmao. I never said gyngyn was wrong. Please point out where I said that, and I will gladly correct myself :)

I'm just surprised this discussion spanned two pages in few hours.
That's what happens when people post suppositions as if they are facts: you have to spend even more discussion time debunking them or else future readers will take them seriously and get mislead.

School policy is misleading. Screeners and adcoms can see all scores and how they proceed with multiple scores can be anyone's guess. They aren't required to follow school policy.

Absolutely!

I never said I was right and Gyngyn was wrong. However, I would hope that any physician would realize there is never a 100% they are right about anything. I would encourage anyone who has doubts about schools that average med schools to look on the websites, or better yet, call the schools themselves. The best knowledge comes directly from the schools. I am sure gyngyn (who I respect greatly) an agree that she does not know the policy of every single school. AMCAS (or even TMDAS) for that matter can make all the suggestions they want, the school is where people get the best information. Good luck with medical school :)

Again, the bold is not reliable because screeners and adcoms aren't required to follow school policy.

Absolutely!

^

That's what happens when people post suppositions as if they are facts: you have to spend even more discussion time debunking them or else future readers will take them seriously and get mislead.

And every single medical school averaging scores is a fact....?

Again, the bold is not reliable because screeners and adcoms aren't required to follow school policy.

Absolutely! Which makes the argument that all schools "average scores" invalid. It's up to the individual members. I am pretty sure that more than 1 adcom member reviews one's submission, which makes for interesting results if they have different ways of calculating the MCAT. I am lucky to be in Texas, where even though adcoms make have different opinions, the deans are actually required to follow the TMDAS rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
And every single medical school averaging scores is a fact....?

AAMC recommends averaging. This is based on many studies (found by looking at the AAMC resources online), where averaging is shown to be the best metric.

Absolutely! Which makes the argument that all schools "average scores" invalid. It's up to the individual members. I am pretty sure that more than 1 adcom member reviews one's submission, which makes for interesting results if they have different ways of calculating the MCAT. I am lucky to be in Texas, where even though adcoms make have different opinions, the deans are actually required to follow the TMDAS rule.

Hmm... You were insisting to look at school policy to see whether they average. I'm saying school policy isn't reliable. The argument that all schools average can be substantiated by AAMC guidelines based on studies that show averaging is statistically the most reliable metric.

Yes the final calls are made by screeners and adcoms, and despite the variability, it's not surprising that they may end up averaging the scores despite the school policy ruling it out. That's why averaging is recommended as a conservative estimate when drafting school lists with multiple scores.

I specifically called TMDAS (since that's what I'm mainly applying) , and they say scores are considered in making sure there is an upward trend.

Things certainly changed since I been accepted to medical school if TMDSAS is calling the shots now.

Things certainly changed since I been accepted to medical school if TMDSAS is calling the shots now.

Did you apply in Texas? If you did then yes TMDAS is "calling the shots". If not, nowhere did I say they did. Please read what I said.

Eek! I forgot that adcoms are always right lmao. I never said gyngyn was wrong. Please point out where I said that, and I will gladly correct myself :)
The adcoms aren't always right. I've had plenty of discussions disagreeing with them. However, your posts in this thread were an overconfident overreach where you applied information (not even particularly strong info, either) from one system to a wholly separate one as if it were clear, irrefutable fact. Your language posed you as an expert when even your in-depth explanation of where the info came from gives you zero credibility outside of discussing TMDSAS, which is not what this discussion was focused on. It's not that you should never challenge an adcom, but rather that your particular disagreement with one, in this particular instance, was unsupported. To be honest, that wasn't even remotely the main issue here...it was that you were speaking as if you spoke for 'most medical schools' and thus pretending that you knew more than you did, by a long shot. The adcom aspect just highlighted the already ridiculous level of presumption in your posts.

AAMC recommends averaging. This is based on many studies (found by looking at the AAMC resources online), where averaging is shown to be the best metric.

Hmm... You were insisting to look at school policy to see whether they average. I'm saying school policy isn't reliable. The argument that all schools average can be substantiated by AAMC guidelines based on studies that show averaging is statistically the most reliable metric.

Obviously Texas disagrees? I don't understand why that's such a problem for everyone. That's great for AMCAS, i'm sure you guys will make great physicians. Maybe us Texans will do okay on our boards since we don't average.

And since we've gotten to the "read what I said" portion of the thread, where the poster refuses to acknowledge that how you say something and the implications your statements made are relevant components of the discussion, that's my last post on this topic. Sorry for the derail, it had just reached ridiculous levels and I wanted to make sure that no future readers actually mistook the other poster's arrogant tone for actual authority on the subject.

The adcoms aren't always right. I've had plenty of discussions disagreeing with them. However, your posts in this thread were an overconfident overreach where you applied information (not even particularly strong info, either) from one system to a wholly separate one as if it were clear, irrefutable fact. Your language posed you as an expert when even your in-depth explanation of where the info came from gives you zero credibility outside of discussing TMDSAS, which is not what this discussion was focused on. It's not that you should never challenge an adcom, but rather that your particular disagreement with one, in this particular instance, was unsupported. To be honest, that wasn't even remotely the main issue here...it was that you were speaking as if you spoke for 'most medical schools' and thus pretending that you knew more than you did, by a long shot. The adcom aspect just highlighted the already ridiculous level of presumption in your posts.

This conversation was directed mainly at the OP, who is considering applying TMDAS. If you feel I am "pretending that I know more than I actually did" I can't help you. Best in med school.

And since we've gotten to the "read what I said" portion of the thread, where the poster refuses to acknowledge that how you say something and the implications your statements made are relevant components of the discussion, that's my last post on this topic. Sorry for the derail, it had just reached ridiculous levels and I wanted to make sure that no future readers actually mistook the other poster's arrogant tone for actual authority on the subject.

Oh goodness.....now you're resorting to attacks on my tone and how arrogant I am. I still may be a pre-med and you are accepted, but at least I know i've conducted myself with maturity and respect in this conversation. Honestly I wish you the best, because I am a polite person, but I hope you learn to listen to other opinions, and while you may not agree with them, treat others with respect.

I specifically called TMDAS (since that's what I'm mainly applying) , and they say scores are considered in making sure there is an upward trend. But the majority of weight is placed on the recent score. You're an adcom and i'm just an applicant, but that was something that made me happy about TMDAS. Also, Texas is more lenient when it comes to scores, hence the majority of weight on the recent score. I know you work in California, which is much more stringent. Thank you for all your advice gyngyn, much of it has helped me along my application process.

Sadly, I don't think you read your own post. By your own words, you stated YOU called "TMDAS" and told us what THEY said, which is that they said XYZ. What you fail to realize, is that "TMDAS" is just a intermediate service the school uses, and is not a medical school.

Sadly, I don't think you read your own post. By your own words, you stated YOU called "TMDAS" and told us what THEY said, which is that they said XYZ. What you fail to realize, is that "TMDAS" is just a intermediate service the school uses, and is not a medical school.

You're really contradicting yourself at this point. AMCAS recommends averaging- so all med schools should do that. But TMDAS doesn't and it's just an intermediate service?
And i've called the schools i've applied to, but so should anyone if they have questions. Best of luck in your career. I hope you do well.

Obviously Texas disagrees? I don't understand why that's such a problem for everyone. That's great for AMCAS, i'm sure you guys will make great physicians. Maybe us Texans will do okay on our boards since we don't average.

I'm pretty sure even for Texas, individual screeners and adcoms will have their own evaluation methods that don't align with TMDSAS recommendation of taking the recent scores. The studies are there (it's just basic statistics) and data-minded Texans would have a hard time disagreeing with them.

I have no problem. I know that 2x scores with huge swings can tell a very different story from 2x scores that didnt change (or even fell), or taking the exam 3 or more times with no improvement. A 25+ point improvement in 2 attempts is extremely rare that a straightforward average would be misleading. The best way for OP is to essentially apply with the new score - 1(because of the burden of the first MCAT)

I'm pretty sure even for Texas, individual screeners and adcoms will have their own evaluation methods that don't align with TMDSAS recommendation of taking the recent scores. The studies are there (it's just basic statistics) and data-minded Texans would have a hard time disagreeing with them.

I have no problem. I know that 2x scores with huge swings can tell a very different story from 2x scores that didnt change (or even fell), or taking the exam 3 or more times with no improvement. A 25+ point improvement in 2 attempts is extremely rare that a straightforward average would be misleading. The best way for OP is to essentially apply with the new score - 1(because of the burden of the first MCAT)

You make a very sound point. And thank you for being polite about it. I agree, a 25 difference is huge!! And I do think they should go with the new score. I'm also sure there are AMCAS adcoms that don't agree with averaging. It really goes both ways.

You're really contradicting yourself at this point. AMCAS recommends averaging- so all med schools should do that. But TMDAS doesn't and it's just an intermediate service? And i've called the schools i've applied to, but so should anyone if they have questions. Best of luck in your career. I hope you do well.

upload_2016-7-21_23-41-21.png

Interesting, so school policy can be misleading, but not if TMDSAS tells them what to do. TMDSAS doesn't set the policy for admissions, I hope you realize that.

upload_2016-7-21_23-44-33.png

In case you missed it, read the last sentence, best of luck.

You make a very sound point. And thank you for being polite about it. I agree, a 25 difference is huge!! And I do think they should go with the new score. I'm also sure there are AMCAS adcoms that don't agree with averaging. It really goes both ways.

Sure no problem. I personally think averaging should be used after more than 3 attempts. Two attempts have too much variability, as in the case for OP. Meaning that the first score can be convincingly dismissed as a fluke. So, taking the recent/highest score is most applicable (but subtract a point because of the burden from the first score)

View attachment 206629

Interesting, so school policy can be misleading, but not if TMDSAS tells them what to do. I think the only one who needs luck in the future is you, I'm already in.

TMDSAS doesn't set the policy for admissions, I hope you realize that.

Considering you couldn't even get into MD school, yeah congrats "you are in".

View attachment 206629

Interesting, so school policy can be misleading, but not if TMDSAS tells them what to do. TMDSAS doesn't set the policy for admissions, I hope you realize that.

View attachment 206630

In case you missed it, read the last sentence, best of luck.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of telling you to read my posts lol. I said that AMCAS/TMDAS make suggestions, but to make a blanket statement that "all have to be averaged" is wrong. Also, i've called the schools i've applied to, and while individual adcom members may differ, they take the highest score, and the dean is required to do that, even if adcom members do not.

Sure no problem. I personally think averaging should be used after more than 3 attempts. Two attempts have too much variability, as in the case for OP. Meaning that the first score can be convincingly dismissed as a fluke. So, taking the recent/highest score is most applicable (but subtract a point because of the burden from the first score)

It's very very easy for someone to mess up one score. I wrote previously that people could have had a great day and thought it went well, only to do horrible. Honestly with 3 scores imo, if there is a huge difference between them, meaning they go up, there shouldn't be a deduction. That shows dedication and hard work. I'm sure adcoms agree with me, others would average. It just depends on the luck of the draw. However, anyone making blanket statements either way is wrong, adcom or not.

Considering you couldn't even get into MD school, yeah congrats "you are in".

JustaDO has not been very polite, but I don't think you should say comments about his going to DO school. Both MD and DO becomes doctors at the end.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of telling you to read my posts lol. I said that AMCAS/TMDAS make suggestions, but to make a blanket statement that "all have to be averaged" is wrong. Also, i've called the schools i've applied to, and while individual adcom members may differ, they take the highest score, and the dean is required to do that, even if adcom members do not.

Even the Admissions Dean cannot over-ride the decision of the committee without consequences.
Only the committee can determine who is acceptable, it's an LCME standard:
"10.2 FINAL AUTHORITY OF ADMISSION COMMITTEE
The final responsibility for accepting students to a medical school rests with a formally constituted admission committee"

Last edited by a moderator:
Admissions deans are only required to do what their school policy requires.

Yes, and like I already said, I called each school to verify their policy.

It's very very easy for someone to mess up one score. I wrote previously that people could have had a great day and thought it went well, only to do horrible. Honestly with 3 scores imo, if there is a huge difference between them, meaning they go up, there shouldn't be a deduction. That shows dedication and hard work. I'm sure adcoms agree with me, others would average. It just depends on the luck of the draw. However, anyone making blanket statements either way is wrong, adcom or not.

Hmm i'd agree with this but the averaging comments made are based on the data (even with 2 scores). I would just use averaging as a conservative estimate. Better to be safe than sorry

Yes, and like I already said, I called each school to verify their policy.
The person answering the phone is more likely to be a work study student than an admissions officer!
School policies are public information (for public schools). If there is a citation, everyone here will have to agree that you are correct.

Reactions: 1 users

upload_2016-7-21_23-50-22.png

Do you even read your own posts? You literally state "I specifically called TMDAS" and "THEY SAY"

upload_2016-7-21_23-52-1.png

Then you state that AMCAS or even TMDAS can make all the suggestions they want, after you stated "something that made me happy about TMDAS."

upload_2016-7-21_23-53-45.png

Wait, the deans are required to follow TMDAS rules? Which one is it?

upload_2016-7-21_23-54-34.png

Yes, literally, TMDAS doesn't and is just that, a intermediate service.

Hmm i'd agree with this but the averaging comments made are based on the data (even with 2 scores). I would just use averaging as a conservative estimate. Better to be safe than sorry

I just don't agree, and hey i'm not making decisions so what do I know right? Haha. I would think adcoms would understand that people have bad days. So if someone had a 22 and then a 35, I don't think their true score would be a 28-29. I get that we only have one chance to pass Step. But I don't believe in averaging. Just my opinion, and also glad I live in Texas haha

The person answering the phone is more likely to be a work study student than an admissions officer!

I called and talked to members of the admissions committee. I am fortunate to have a parent that has a high position at a medical school who was able to get me contact info.

Lmao read the comments, and then after this cycle is over, i'll let you know if I get into MD school. :soexcited:

I sure did read the comments, this resonated with me:

upload_2016-7-21_23-57-21.png

So confident, yet without a bird in a hand, and having applied to one school.

View attachment 206632

Do you even read your own posts? You literally state "I specifically called TMDAS" and "THEY SAY"

View attachment 206633

Then you state that AMCAS or even TMDAS can make all the suggestions they want, after you stated "something that made me happy about TMDAS."

View attachment 206634

Wait, the deans are required to follow TMDAS rules? Which one is it?

View attachment 206635

Yes, literally, TMDAS doesn't and is just that, a intermediate service.

Dude just stop lmao. You don't make sense at all. And you keep bombarding me with questions, while the other idiot in the forum is saying rude things about osteopaths. Go heckle him. :hilarious:

I sure did read the comments, this resonated with me:

View attachment 206640

So confident, yet without a bird in a hand, and having applied to one school.

No wonder you couldn't get into allopathic schools. I applied to one school to get verified. Lol and I love that you're taking the quote "you're an idiot for thinking about retaking a 33". At least I got a 33 on my MCAT.

Oh goodness.....now you're resorting to attacks on my tone and how arrogant I am. I still may be a pre-med and you are accepted, but at least I know i've conducted myself with maturity and respect in this conversation. Honestly I wish you the best, because I am a polite person, but I hope you learn to listen to other opinions, and while you may not agree with them, treat others with respect.
Now?!? This entire discussion was about tone, 100% from the start. I guess I'm glad you're finally aware of that? I haven't found you particularly mature, either, but as long as you're happy.

I haven't actually disagreed with your opinion in here, just with the way you are presenting your information, which is misleading and overreaching. Yes, I consider that a form of arrogance. For the record, I also consider lecturing other posters on respect while holding yourself up as a model to be rather arrogant. And, please, never think that someone wants to be wished the best *because you're such a polite person.* That addition turns the entire thing around and makes it feel more like a passive aggressive condescension, which gets right back to the issue we (or at least I, I'm not sure what you think we've been discussing) have been talking about this whole time: tone matters. Presenting yourself as more knowledgeable than you are, or not clarifying when your statements apply to a limited arena (TMDSAS was never mentioned in beginning half of this thread, so if info applies specifically to TMDSAS that ought to be noted) is a huge problem on a forum like this, where threads may get dug up by tons of people searching for information but not actively posting.

See, here you present your opinions as opinions (most of which I agree with, for the record) and finally state the bolded, which is a large chunk of what I've been trying to get at.

This thread is so far derailed. @Lawper thank you for being polite and kind, and I definitely enjoyed conversing with you. @gyngyn - I honestly don't have time to go through all of that. After I hopefully get admitted, I will see what I can do. But I don't have this burden to prove myself to anyone. No one has to believe me at all. I just wanted to state that the blanket statement of schools "all averaging scores" is wrong.
@JustaDO - you were rude and argumentative, but I know that it is very hard to get into DO school, and I hope you do well.
@FSU14 - you honestly added nothing to this conversation.

No wonder you couldn't get into allopathic schools. I applied to one school to get verified. Lol and I love that you're taking the quote "you're an idiot for thinking about retaking a 33". At least I got a 33 on my MCAT.

If you needed to make a thread on how to get into medical school with a 33, I have a feeling you won't be getting into a allopathic school anything soon.

Now?!? This entire discussion was about tone, 100% from the start. I guess I'm glad you're finally aware of that? I haven't found you particularly mature, either, but as long as you're happy.

I haven't actually disagreed with your opinion in here, just with the way you are presenting your information, which is misleading and overreaching. Yes, I consider that a form of arrogance. For the record, I also consider lecturing other posters on respect while holding yourself up as a model to be rather arrogant. And, please, never think that someone wants to be wished the best *because you're such a polite person.* That addition turns the entire thing around and makes it feel more like a passive aggressive condescension, which gets right back to the issue we (or at least I, I'm not sure what you think we've been discussing) have been talking about this whole time: tone matters. Presenting yourself as more knowledgeable than you are, or not clarifying when your statements apply to a limited arena (TMDSAS was never mentioned in beginning half of this thread, so if info applies specifically to TMDSAS that ought to be noted) is a huge problem on a forum like this, where threads may get dug up by tons of people searching for information but not actively posting.

See, here you present your opinions as opinions (most of which I agree with, for the record) and finally state the bolded, which is a large chunk of what I've been trying to get at.

Again, I hope you learn to conduct yourself with kindness and respect in real life. You seem very angry and upset from what I have read on here. I never stated anything as fact, besides what I verified myself but you just keep thinking that. I even said "i'm not an expert in AMCAS". You also said you had posted your last post....so why come back? This thread is so far derailed. OP I hope you found your answer hahah

If you needed to make a thread on how to get into medical school with a 33, I have a feeling you won't be getting into a allopathic school anything soon.

Why can't you both just stop? The OP made a thread about his chances. The other guy won't listen, so why won't you? He was wrong to say what he did, but you're becoming just as petty as him.