Stuck in my current PhD in biology, but more interested in psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wild Monkey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I will try to contact psych faculty in my current school to see if I will have an option to change. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What kind of psychologist do you think you might want to be? It is a very broad field that can include both research and practice in a variety of settings and populations. It could be true that focusing mainly on psychotherapy, which is what I do, might be problematic if there is a significant language and cultural barrier, but there are many aspects of psychology where that would be less of an issue.

Thank you for your reply! I am primarily interested in the research side of clinical psychology, especially neurobiological mechanism of psychopathology, and the development of new tool/therapy for intervention. I still want to keep the door of psychotherapy open for now before choosing my final career path. Do you think this is a reasonable goal?

What kind of psychologist do you think you might want to be? It is a very broad field that can include both research and practice in a variety of settings and populations. It could be true that focusing mainly on psychotherapy, which is what I do, might be problematic if there is a significant language and cultural barrier, but there are many aspects of psychology where that would be less of an issue.