Student council position vs. publication(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albino Dino

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

The student union position is VP Finance and the publication would be in an ecology journal.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think there are other ways you can demonstrate leadership. A publication however, is a publication.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And why are they mutually exclusive? What does one have to do with the other?

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts?

The student union position is VP Finance and the publication would be in an ecology journal.

VP in Finance may be cool, but a publication is superior (despite being in a non-medical field). Of course, you should try for both, but you can get leadership positions elsewhere.
And why are they mutually exclusive? What does one have to do with the other?

Time constraints probably. Flexibility. Tight schedule etc. But i agree OP should aim for both.

The student union executives are requiring me to leave my research position if I take the job

Exactly what are the duties of this Council position? Is it leadership? Are you in charge of other people, delegating tasks, suggesting new initiatives and carrying them through, taking overall responsibility for performance of others? Or are you attending meetings, voting occasionally, carrying out the suggestions of others? Does it pay, or is it a volunteer position?

VP Finance balances the budget of the student union, reimburses other members for expenses, and attends Union meetings. It is a paid position - $8,500 for the year. My research position it also paid.

Why are they making you quit? Is it in the bylaws or something? One should have nothing to do with the other. At least I can't see why you'd have to quit your research for this!

If you can handle both, do them. Otherwise, don't do the finance thing. It sounds like a cool position, but the fact that they expect you to quit your research indicates that they are unreasonable.

Why are they making you quit? Is it in the bylaws or something? One should have nothing to do with the other. At least I can't see why you'd have to quit your research for this!

It is in their bylaws that I can only have a specific maximum weekly hour allotment to other extracurriculars and my research is beyond that.

It is in their bylaws that I can only have a specific maximum weekly hour allotment to other extracurriculars and my research is beyond that.

Well that's not fun (or even downright ridiculous). I'll go with the Queen of Penguins, and stick with the publication. Leadership positions can be found elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning toward the research anyway but it's always good to get a second opinion.

Well that's not fun (or even downright ridiculous). I'll go with the Queen of Penguins, and stick with the publication. Leadership positions can be found elsewhere.
wheeeee I'm a queen!