Student CV Format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sele1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together my CV as a hopeful residency candidate before midyear. I was looking around online for CV formats from different sources (ACCP, ASHP) and came across different samples. I remember hearing in school that we're supposed to put everything we do during APPEs on our student CVs, but seeing these samples online, I'm no longer sure what the standard is.

Personally, I'm on the lighter side when it comes to community service, research, and "normal" with work exp, professional org involvement, etc. so I would want to highlight my APPEs the most because aside from the institutional and community practice management rotations, all my others were clinical clerkships- what would be the best way of highlighting that in a CV?

For example
Elective Clerkship in Neurosurgical Intensive Care
Institution Name, city, etc. Date
Preceptor + Credentials (is this even necessary?)
- Attended daily patient care rounds in a neurosurgical intensive care unit, presented medication lists and recommendations.
- Performed medication reconciliation for all patients admitted to unit.
- Presented weekly in-services for housestaff, pharmacy, and nursing staff. Topics included x, y, and z.
- Etc etc.

I've seen examples where the format is just bare-bones:
Neurosurgical Intensive Care
Institution Name, city, etc. Date
Presentations:
- x

The main reason I ask is if I do a more sparse, minimal format, my CV is less than half the length.

Was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what kind of format has worked for you as a residency candidate (namely in respect to how you formatted your APPEs).
Also, how long do you think should a student CV be capped at before it borders on too long?

Thanks, any insight would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's a middle ground, I think. I would leave out the "Elective Clerkship" part since it's understood that you'll have a certain number of electives. If you're listing your presentations elsewhere in your CV, you could also leave out "Presented weekly in-services for housestaff, pharmacy, and nursing staff."

Your preceptor's name and credentials are useful, I'd say. For example, if I know your preceptor is really hardcore and does not give many A's and I see that you got an A on that rotation, that would improve my opinion of you as a candidate. Or if I know your preceptor, that gives me one more thing to ask you about at the interview.

Agree with putting the preceptor and credentials. If you did a rotation with a big name in that particular specialty, it looks really good! Also, pharmacy is a small world, so there is a good chance someone might know that preceptor and it can help spark a conversation.

It is okay to put some detail in about your rotations, but most students are overkill. If you have presentations listed in a different section, do not put them under the rotation. Most people know what is involved in a general med rotation, retail, hospital...I just put the things that were unique or different.

how would one format a presentation in a CV? could you give an example?

I understand the point of putting in things presented to subcommittees and things of that nature, but do we also include smaller presentations like journal clubs and short in-services?