student organizations - fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedevski1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to talk about meaningful involvement in student organizations. I don't have that much involvement in anything outside my fraternity. However, I have been very involved in my fraternity, have numerous leadership positions, and learned a lot from many of the incredibly talented people I interacted with.

Is this reasonable, or is mentioning a fraternity a no no?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a no-no to mention the fraternity, but it is quite concerning that you don't have much involvement in anything outside your fraternity.

Reactions: 1 user
It's OK, and the leadership positions are all well and good, but overall, we're not that impressed by frat involvement. I prefer that you get out of your comfort zone and actually get off campus.

I need to talk about meaningful involvement in student organizations. I don't have that much involvement in anything outside my fraternity. However, I have been very involved in my fraternity, have numerous leadership positions, and learned a lot from many of the incredibly talented people I interacted with.

Is this reasonable, or is mentioning a fraternity a no no?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a no-no to mention the fraternity, but it is quite concerning that you don't have much involvement in anything outside your fraternity.

Why wouldn't you? Especially since he has had quite a few leadership roles (rush chair, VP, or President for that matter). Not everyone in a fraternity is a screw up. I have met a few doctors in different fraternities who were successful in their fraternity and in medical school. If OP has a good GPA when he graduates, then he can show adcoms that he is very capable at delegating time.

However, I do agree that you need a lot more involvement. Volunteer, get some research in, and hold more leadership positions too.

I'm significantly involved in other extracurriculars and service projects. I just wouldn't call them "student organizations." Thanks a lot for the responses, appreciate it.

If it's the only meaningful involvement in student organizations that you have, you don't really have much of a choice. Go for it, but leave out the binge drinking aspect :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Why wouldn't you? Especially since he has had quite a few leadership roles (rush chair, VP, or President for that matter). Not everyone in a fraternity is a screw up. I have met a few doctors in different fraternities who were successful in their fraternity and in medical school. If OP has a good GPA when he graduates, then he can show adcoms that he is very capable at delegating time.

However, I do agree that you need a lot more involvement. Volunteer, get some research in, and hold more leadership positions too.

??? I clearly said that it's NOT a no-no to mention the fraternity.

I'm a Greek life person myself, and know several Greeks that have applied to medical school mentioning their leadership on their application and have been very successful. Like everything, keep it professional. The event management that you learn in Greek life is amazing, as well as the ability to implement your ideas on a large scale

For other ideas, have you been involved in other organizations through your fraternity? I know many Greeks from schools in my state participate in school wide functions (ie Relay for Life).