Study Abroad or Save Money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmostDone2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should go on a Study Abroad trip to China/Japan this summer. It's about $4,500 for a 3 week program that includes all hotel, airfare, meals, and 3 credit hours.

The pros are:
1)amazing cultural experience
2) 3 credit hours of class (which would decrease my load my fall p3 semester)
3) a once in a lifetime chance to go to china and japan? I'd probably never choose to travel there on my own in the future

The cons:
1) The cost. (is 18 days really worth $4,500)
2) Would also take away 3 weeks of working this summer

When i graduate I'll have about 120,000 in loans. Would 4,500 really matter that much? Or should i try to save as much as possible now?

(I'd just be taking out a 4,000 subsidized loan for it...so i wouldnt be incurring extra interest). I need advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you can travel for 18 days for less than $4500. Are college credits really that important to you? Find a friend that also wants to travel, and go together. Also, Europe is cheaper than China/Japan, so you could consider that, plus flights within Europe can be very cheap if you use the low-cost airlines over there. Still, even if you really want to do both China and Japan, I'd say you could do it in under $4000 for that time.

I did a 6 wk study abroad program in Spain during undergrad (~4 yrs ago) and it was worth every penny I spent on it. Hard to say how much it actually cost me since the program fee didn't include airfare or all meals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide if I should go on a Study Abroad trip to China/Japan this summer. It's about $4,500 for a 3 week program that includes all hotel, airfare, meals, and 3 credit hours.

The pros are:
1)amazing cultural experience
2) 3 credit hours of class (which would decrease my load my fall p3 semester)
3) a once in a lifetime chance to go to china and japan? I'd probably never choose to travel there on my own in the future

The cons:
1) The cost. (is 18 days really worth $4,500)
2) Would also take away 3 weeks of working this summer

When i graduate I'll have about 120,000 in loans. Would 4,500 really matter that much? Or should i try to save as much as possible now?

(I'd just be taking out a 4,000 subsidized loan for it...so i wouldnt be incurring extra interest). I need advice! Thanks!

I would recommend it. Is there a way you can pick up extra hours of work when you get back so that you can "make up" the three weeks of work you would miss?

I honestly think you can travel for 18 days for less than $4500. Are college credits really that important to you? Find a friend that also wants to travel, and go together. Also, Europe is cheaper than China/Japan, so you could consider that, plus flights within Europe can be very cheap if you use the low-cost airlines over there. Still, even if you really want to do both China and Japan, I'd say you could do it in under $4000 for that time.

If you want to go, then go! Later in life you will not have the luxury of being able to just take 3 weeks off as easy as you can right now! If you are worried about money, then work a little extra if possible when you get back or just be frugal the rest of the summer.

This March will be my very last Spring Break and I plan on enjoying the hell out of it!

Having been on two study abroads (China and Argentina) GO!

$4,500 is a lot but the guides through those countries will be extremely helpful. In the grand scheme of things, its not a lot.

That being said, dont nickle and dime your loan money. Saying "In the grand scheme of things" for 4 or 5 things can add up to $25k. ;)

I recommend it. I have few regrets during my college years but one of them is not taking a study abroad trip. Yea, $4500 is a good chunk of change but with a subsidized loan you won't worry about it until you graduate.