Study Abroad

I'm No Superman

Crushin' scones
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So our state university mentioned that they have a study abroad program with Oxford, where UNL business students have the opportunity to study business there. However, they didn't go very in depth about it, which left me with a few general questions.

1) Can you tell me about your study abroad experiences? What did you like/dislike, and would going to a university in a country where English is not the primary language, even if you have no prior experience in the dominant language?

2) Can you study anything you want to abroad? For example, If I wanted to study physics at Cambridge? Also, how difficult is it to get the chance to study abroad without the aid of a program, or would a program be necessary in order to do so?

Edit: thought of another one. 3)Would it be better, recommended, or required to get all of your pre-med prereqs done in the U.S. before going abroad, or can you take a few while abroad?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell you about the pre-med reqs, but all my friends that studied abroad loved it. So much in fact, that after spending their second semester back at my college, they were so disapointed that they transfered hahahaha. That previous sentence is a mess... its early.

I would be interested in reading responses to this, as well. The school that I plan to go to next year has numerous study abroad programs, including one with Oxford (Lincoln campus), a Human Rights exchange in South Africa, a mathematics program with a college in Turkey, and a few others. The one with Oxford and the one in South Africa are the ones that particularly interest me.

Though I myself am only, as of this moment, still a high school student, I think, in response to your question, what you can study depends on the program that you are doing it through or, if you apply on your own, what the college itself allows. I know that for my school's Oxford program, students are only allowed to choose from Chemistry, Mathematics, Literature, History and a program called Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE). You asked specifically about Cambridge and, though I am not sure if you were actually looking for an answer, their information about what visiting students are allowed to study and where can be found -> here <-
. I found that by searching "Cambridge visiting student" into Google. You can find information for other schools by just replacing Cambridge with wherever you want to study.

As I said, I will be eagerly awaiting responses to this thread. Studying Abroad is something I definitely want to do at some point, and any information on it is welcomed. Especially about the pre-requisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also planning on studying abroad at Oxford, but I don't know all the details about the program yet. They're releasing the application in the Fall I believe

I studied abroad at a university in London which most people hadn't heard of -- University of Westminster. I took a mix of med school prereqs which also happened to be my major requirements, and fun classes like London architecture, a class about plays, and some German classes. I had to have all departments that I wanted to get credit for majors and minors to sign off on the classes from the study abroad. My college had an affiliation with the study abroad uni.

I had an awesome time. It was a major talking point in med school and residency interviews. It's also not super important to go to Ox-bridge. You can go to a lesser known school and still get a great education. I wanted to be in London, hence the University of Westminster.