Study tips/resources to improve study habits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any good books for some study techniques/tips? I recently watched a video on youtube of Marty Lobdell "study less, study smart" ( I posted the link below for everyone to watch) and it was an incredible video with some insightful advice. Therefore I am interested in hearing if anybody else has any study tips or any resources (videos,books) that they watched or read that had a positive impact on there study habits?

Also if anybody just has some general tips on having better studying habits it would be great to share.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know of any good books for some study techniques/tips? I recently watched a video on youtube of Marty Lobdell "study less, study smart" ( I posted the link below for everyone to watch) and it was an incredible video with some insightful advice. Therefore I am interested in hearing if anybody else has any study tips or any resources (videos,books) that they watched or read that had a positive impact on there study habits?

Also if anybody just has some general tips on having better studying habits it would be great to share.

I really like using Anki. I think it is the single most effective way to stuff things in your brain for long term memory. If used correctly, it really is a bit like a memory superpower. There are a bunch of med school youtube videos on anki and some other posts on SDN and other blogs as well. This article is an excellent set of rules to follow when formulating anki cards but same rules apply for quizlet etc.

I am also a huge fan of everything cal newport has ever written from his several books and on his blog: Study Hacks - Decoding Patterns of Success - Cal Newport

Additionally the book Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink is a must read for any person. Just having the mentality of taking personal responsibility for everything in your life is very empowering.

also the app Freedom completely changed my life. It allows you to block/disable any app, website, or anything else you waste time on on any platform with no ways to disable it short of calling the company: Freedom: Internet, App and Website Blocker

I avoid rote memorization and aim to understand the fundamental concepts. Be obsessive about asking "why?" When trying to understand a new concept try to explain it to yourself or someone in the simplest terms possible. Analogies help with that too. It’s called the Feynman Technique.