Studying The Pre-Reqs Before I Actually Take Them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnConstantine511

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start a post-bacc in the summer of next year. In the interm, I want to go through all of pre-reqs and recommended material on my own for the MCAT. I have all the Physics that I need, and however my last Bio/Chem class was Chemistry I/II 6 years ago when I was a Freshman in college. So, I might be just a little rusty. :)

This will give me more study time for the MCAT and also make the requirements a lot easier since I plan on knocking out everything in 3 semesters in a post-bacc, taking the MCAT and going to Med School.

I was thinking about using Kahn Academy and MIT Open Courseware (free online courses) to self-study Gen Bio I/II, Gen Chem I/II, OChem I/II, BioChem, etc.

Is there any other or better material out there to self-teach all the Bio/Chem I need for MCAT? I have over 6 months until I start taking classes, so I do have a little time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, anyone know some good material to teach myself Bio & Chem, so I can start studying for MCAT? Gotta do something for the next 6 months before my post-bacc, lol.

Buy a cheap textbook and read it. Get a used old edition. It'll cost you $25 together at most.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I found UCI's open courseware to be really good for general chemistry.

I highly recommend Khan Academy

Buy a cheap textbook and read it. Get a used old edition. It'll cost you $25 together at most.
+1 A text would be great reference in addition to KA. Practice problems with answers for important topics.

Reactions: 1 users
Prestudying the prereqs. I've heard it all

Reactions: 5 users
Next week... "what should I pre-study for kindergarten?"

In all seriousness, I was also a bit anxious when starting post-bacc.
I jumped straight into ochem after a gap decade; the adviser told me I should probably review some chemistry concepts beforehand.
I proceed to NOT listen to the advice.

Moral of the story: @!#$ it! We'll do it live!

Reactions: 1 users
Next week... "what should I pre-study for kindergarten?"

In all seriousness, I was also a bit anxious when starting post-bacc.
I jumped straight into ochem after a gap decade; the adviser told me I should probably review some chemistry concepts beforehand.
I proceed to NOT listen to the advice.

Moral of the story: @!#$ it! We'll do it live!

Wow! How did that OChem class go?

My understanding is most med school applicants have LOR's, some research, and EC's behind their belt. For me it seems a lot to cram into a year. Did you find it hard to get all the extra stuff in?

My DIY post-bacc is still ongoing, but I aced the ochem class.
It was a nice confidence booster to see that I definitely can perform in school, even after all these years.
Looking to start MCAT studying + more clinical ECs later this year/early next year, and it has been tough at times with a full-time job, but so far so good :)
Wow! How did that OChem class go?

My understanding is most med school applicants have LOR's, some research, and EC's behind their belt. For me it seems a lot to cram into a year. Did you find it hard to get all the extra stuff in?

I thought I'd heard it all until this summer I ran into a 25 year old pre med in the library with an SAT book

"I'm taking the SAT in 2 weeks and coming up with a study plan. a couple schools in their optional secondaries ask for your SAT score and I don't want to lose points for my 2130 from high school".

Nothing will ever top that level of neuroticism. Nothing. Put that in a Hall of Fame of its own

My DIY post-bacc is still ongoing, but I aced the ochem class.
It was a nice confidence booster to see that I definitely can perform in school, even after all these years.
Looking to start MCAT studying + more clinical ECs later this year/early next year, and it has been tough at times with a full-time job, but so far so good :)

Wow..that's awesome. Then I am not so worried about the Post-Bacc. Honestly, I was going to pre-study so I could prep for the MCAT sooner. I plan on progressively studying for a year for it. I figured by the time I finished my Post-Bacc, then I won't have much time between the material covered and taking the MCAT. I'm pretty serious about going to med school the fall following finishing my Post-Bacc.

Wow..that's awesome. Then I am not so worried about the Post-Bacc. Honestly, I was going to pre-study so I could prep for the MCAT sooner. I plan on progressively studying for a year for it. I figured by the time I finished my Post-Bacc, then I won't have much time between the material covered and taking the MCAT. I'm pretty serious about going to med school the fall following finishing my Post-Bacc.

The app cycle takes an additional year, unless you do linkage.

And would you like Netflix reccomendations too?

Or do you have enough ideas on how to waste your time from the above replies?

The app cycle takes an additional year, unless you do linkage.
Ah...I see. I did not realize that. Well in that case I have nothing to worry about then. Since it will most likely take two years unless I do a linkage (which I will look into). Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess I was a little anxious about the Post-Bacc and how I was going to fit everything into a year. Ok, no reason to pre-study then, lol.

And would you like Netflix reccomendations too?

Or do you have enough ideas on how to waste your time from the above replies?

Sure...I just finished Orange Is The New Black and trying to figure out what to watch next. ;)

Last edited: