Stupid CAP requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the dumber CAP checklist requirements you have come across.

I'll start with the "H&E control slide". Every day my lab produces an H&E slide that needs to be signed off on. I'm like all "what's the point of that. I am going to look at 200 slides today, if they aren't good, I will do something about it. What's the point of having a control slide?"

Members don't see this ad.

Cytopathology workload for sure. On another pathology listserv I belong to, a pathologist was complaining that she got cited for not recording the number of slides screened during an FNA adequacy check. I thought those were immune from workload recording in cytopath, but others chimed in that they had also gotten cited for that. I have no clue why they have been getting cited as the checklist clearly says they are not subject to workload limits/recording.

Having procedures to prevent cross contamination is another stupid requirement. Good luck with that. It's impossible.

every time I lead a cap inspection and have to evaluate the lab's h&e stain, I think "what the hell do I care what their h&e stain looks like. If they're happy with it, then what difference does it make to me".

I never take the evaluation of the stain seriously either. It's there pregrogative.

However, I saw some of the slides from the infamous Dr Rosen case (in-office derm lab in florida). I would have cited that place for sure. Those slides were a joke.