stylet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As I'm sure they're labeled for single use only, or equivalent, that's verboten in the ivory tower.

Possibly, but the original packages are long gone. :)

I don't see any risk to re-using properly cleaned stylets that's greater than re-using properly cleaned laryngoscope blades.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have required a bougie once because if there is a airway that requires that technique, I just use the styleted tube itself as the bougie.
- pod

I assume you don't mean to use the stylet as the bougie. I've been taught that the tip of the stylet should never poke out of the tube and contact the trachea directly. That's what a bougie or a tube exchanger is for.

I assume you don't mean to use the stylet as the bougie. I've been taught that the tip of the stylet should never poke out of the tube and contact the trachea directly. That's what a bougie or a tube exchanger is for.

Correct, although the satin stylet is probably softer than a tube exchanger, I just mean that the tube is stiff enough to run along the undersurface of the epiglottis (when unable to flip the epiglottis forward with the laryngoscope) and into the trachea just like you would with a bougie. The tube is stiff enough that it gives you good tactile feedback as it runs over the surface of the vocal cords and tracheal rings.

- pod

maybe i'm being wasteful, but i stylet almost all of my ETTs. I really don't see much of a downside to having a stylet in place.

sure i can intubate 99 percent of people without the stylet but nobody notices. people do remember, however, the rare times where you struggle with the unstyleted tube or have to DL multiple times.

maybe i'm being wasteful, but i stylet almost all of my ETTs. I really don't see much of a downside to having a stylet in place.

sure i can intubate 99 percent of people without the stylet but nobody notices. people do remember, however, the rare times where you struggle with the unstyleted tube or have to DL multiple times.

Why don't you stylet every single one?