Sub-Is: Does your school make you fill out extra affiliation paperwork to go there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoLollipops4U

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My US medical school makes us set up "affiliation" agreements to rotate at other schools hospitals in 4th year, even if its through VSAS. It's basically a bunch of random legal paperwork and at my school, it takes 120 days to complete which as I just found out has screwed me out of doing a Sub-I at my dream program even though its through VSAS because our affiliation has expired.

Does your school do this too? Is this common? Do the schools make students do it?

Members don't see this ad.

we don't have that at my school, but we do have a bunch of similarly obstructive paperwork and arbitrary demands made of us.

My US medical school makes us set up "affiliation" agreements to rotate at other schools hospitals in 4th year, even if its through VSAS. It's basically a bunch of random legal paperwork and at my school, it takes 120 days to complete which as I just found out has screwed me out of doing a Sub-I at my dream program even though its through VSAS because our affiliation has expired.

Does your school do this too? Is this common? Do the schools make students do it?

It's not required by my school, but it's pretty common. I've come across a number of schools in searching for aways that require an affiliation to be intact in order to rotate there.

Its not just the schools that require the affiliation agreement its the institutions youre rotating to for SUBI's. That's what Ive encountered so far.