Submitted secondaries late August, is it a bad sign I have not received any II's yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donovank730

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Complete mid August and complete with most secondaries Aug 25thish, still no rejections or II's. Is this typical for a later applicant or am I just getting overlooked?

Starting to get a bit nervous out here.

3.55 cGPS 3.8 sGPA

29 mcat 33 retake

good ec's

Members don't see this ad.

I've yet to hear back from any of the secondaries I completed late August if that makes you feel better...

I've heard from the schools I was complete at by mid July but not much else

Reactions: 1 user
I've been complete at most schools during the first week of August and mid-late August at others. Besides being on hold at GW (complete 8/6) and Albany (complete 8/20), I haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
A terrible terrible sign! Abandon all hope!

In all seriousness though, I was complete late july/early august at most schools and haven't heard back from 80% of them. Just remember that there are people who get accepted after being offered interviews in the spring.

You are a borderline applicant. Come back on January 1 if you haven't had at least 1 interview invite and we'll start talking about next year. Go pick some apples or something. Enjoy Autumn! If you are in medical school next year the season will pass you by, Enjoy it while you can.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks guys, I am giving up on SDN for the next few months. I am going to try and enjoy life for a while :)

Reactions: 3 users
Complete mid August and complete with most secondaries Aug 25thish, still no rejections or II's. Is this typical for a later applicant or am I just getting overlooked?

3.55 cGPS 3.8 sGPA

29 mcat 33 retake

good ec's
Mid august ain't so bad. Late would be like September submission.

Nah, it just takes a while. I just hope your school choices weren't bizarre.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant grat

3.55 cGPS 3.8 sGPA

29 mcat 33 retake

good ec's

Reactions: 4 users
There needs to be sticky for the multitudes of these threads that pop up each day.

You are a borderline applicant. Come back on January 1 if you haven't had at least 1 interview invite and we'll start talking about next year. Go pick some apples or something. Enjoy Autumn! If you are in medical school next year the season will pass you by, Enjoy it while you can.

Not to hijack but since we're here: what constitutes a "borderline applicant"? Even with the retake averaging out to a 31, he's still a 66 yourscore. And that sGPA is nothing to scoff at.

Not to hijack but since we're here: what constitutes a "borderline applicant"? Even with the retake averaging out to a 31, he's still a 66 yourscore. And that sGPA is nothing to scoff at.
their stats are borderline? As in not great not bad. sGPA is good but the cGPA is low. 33 is average, but the 29 might worry some schools
Therefore, borderline

What's an acceptable cGPA? Because I have a 3.6 and I'm doing fairly well this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
There needs to be sticky for the multitudes of these threads that pop up each day.

I should keep quoting this...3x does not seem enough to me.

Let's keep in mind that we're all taking the OP at his/her word that he has "good EC's" which in some people's minds might be no research, 100 hours of hospital volunteering, and 30 hours of shadowing. Until the ECs are explained (let alone the student's major, college, writing ability) we can only get so much from the respectable numbers (MCAT, gpa).

Add all of this to the fact that we don't have the school list to which the OP applied.

I would expect to hear from your IS public schools by now. All other OOS schools I'd give until at least Dec.

Let's keep in mind that we're all taking the OP at his/her word that he has "good EC's" which in some people's minds might be no research, 100 hours of hospital volunteering, and 30 hours of shadowing. Until the ECs are explained (let alone the student's major, college, writing ability) we can only get so much from the respectable numbers (MCAT, gpa).

Add all of this to the fact that we don't have the school list to which the OP applied.

ECs are 3000 hours as a medical assistant or 3 years.

1000 hours volunteering at a homeless outreach in Chicago.

Medical missions trip, 300 hours mentoring at risk youth, 200 hours research on amcas and 10 additional hours every week until matriculation.

I feel like I am missing some things.

Applied to uic, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin,unc, u Wisconsin, tufts, ucsd(wife from Cali and I lived there for 2 years),Loma Linda, usc

Illinois instate; non traditional

Last edited:
10 schools total?! If so, that's even more of a reason to wait.

ECs are 3000 hours as a medical assistant or 3 years.

1000 hours volunteering at a homeless outreach in Chicago.

Medical missions trip, 300 hours mentoring at risk youth, 200 hours research on amcas and 10 additional hours every week until matriculation.

I feel like I am missing some things.

Applied to uic, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin,unc, u Wisconsin, tufts, ucsd(wife from Cali and I lived there for 2 years),Loma Linda, usc

Illinois instate; non traditional

Last cycle (14-15) was the first time I applied, also as a nontrad. Took MCAT in May, didn't start on AMCAS until the score came out, underestimated how extensive the primary and secondaries were.

In short, I didn't finish all the MD secondaries until October, didn't start the DO application until December. A large part was due to me working too many hours. Got wait listed for interviews at a handful of schools and that was it.

This year I submitted everything first day possible (at the cost of small quality issues), now I'm under review at most schools, got 2 MD II's (one of which is Chicago Medical School) and 1 DO II. I expect more DO II's as I believe that's how it's best done.

Anyways, moral of the story is, be patient and enjoy life, just like Goro and LizzyM suggested. If I were you I'd do exactly that.

I would expect to hear from your IS public schools by now. All other OOS schools I'd give until at least Dec.

Am a bit concerned I haven't heard anything from one of my IS yet...but oh well. What's done is done.

Am a bit concerned I haven't heard anything from one of my IS yet...but oh well. What's done is done.

I'm assuming your IS school is a public school that prefers its residents? Also, another assumption is that your stats are competitive for said school?

I'm assuming your IS school is a public school that prefers its residents? Also, another assumption is that your stats are competitive for said school?

Both are correct assumptions! Complete 8/25

Wouldn't be too alarmed, due to II from other state school--know there isnt a complete glaring hole in my app...So maybe I am being impatient, but I know of multiple people that submitted much later than me that had a much quicker II turn around time to said schoool..so thus why I am kinda like :/

Both are correct assumptions! Complete 8/25

Wouldn't be too alarmed, due to II from other state school--know there isnt a complete glaring hole in my app...So maybe I am being impatient, but I know of multiple people that submitted much later than me that had a much quicker II turn around time to said schoool..so thus why I am kinda like :/

Eh, I wouldn't be too worried about it if you are competitive! You'll get that II soon enough. The first rounders (> median for MCAT and GPA) get called first, the rest of us just have to wait our turn.