Suboxone training/courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWowEffect

The Official WowRator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at online Suboxone courses and came across two- One by ASAM and other one by AAAP. Anyone with a review on these courses. I am sure both are good enough but is one better than the other???

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at online Suboxone courses and came across two- One by ASAM and other one by AAAP. Anyone with a review on these courses. I am sure both are good enough but is one better than the other???

I believe that they are essentially equivalent, and either is sufficient to document the needed training to apply for your DEA waiver.

(I'm a member of both orgs, so I have no conflict of interest...?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that you can expect $1000 per year per patient. 30 patient limit for year 1, followed by 100 patient limit thereafter = $100,000/yr while paying a nurse $30G to hand out pills?

Can anyone who's been through suboxone licensure elaborate on this 45 day thing? I just faxed in my certificate and submitted the letter of intent online. Does one get any confirmation that these were received?
Then do you always have to wait 45 days for a response or something? There was something mentioned that they might not reply in 45 days in which case you assume you have been approved? So if i don't hear from them in a month in a half do I just start prescribing?
Thanks for any clarification you can lend!

The 45 day thing, there are exceptions, but I'm blurry on the specifics. I do recall seeing something in the form saying that if you're in an emergency situation, you can request the process be expedited.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are planning on using suboxone, is there an emergency need to get it faster than 45 days? If not, just sit back and wait.

I can tell you that when I submitted my form, I had some questions, and called the help line. The person on the other end seemed to be on top of helping doctors in emergency situations and asked me if I needed help. She was willing to do what she could to expedite my form, but since it was not an emergency, I told her to save her energy for the docs that really needed it faster.

The 45 day thing, there are exceptions, but I'm blurry on the specifics. I do recall seeing something in the form saying that if you're in an emergency situation, you can request the process be expedited.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are planning on using suboxone, is there an emergency need to get it faster than 45 days? If not, just sit back and wait.

I can tell you that when I submitted my form, I had some questions, and called the help line. The person on the other end seemed to be on top of helping doctors in emergency situations and asked me if I needed help. She was willing to do what she could to expedite my form, but since it was not an emergency, I told her to save her energy for the docs that really needed it faster.

So in the end you did get a letter or something saying you'd been approved? That's my biggest concern from my brief non-lawyerly reading of the regulations, that maybe they don't send anything after the 45 day period and I wouldn't really know if I'd been approved, or if they'd just lost the paperwork. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
So in the end you did get a letter or something saying you'd been approved? That's my biggest concern from my brief non-lawyerly reading of the regulations, that maybe they don't send anything after the 45 day period and I wouldn't really know if I'd been approved, or if they'd just lost the paperwork. Thanks!

As I recall, you actually get a new DEA certificate with your supplemental number.

As I recall, you actually get a new DEA certificate with your supplemental number.

Yep.

Don't worry about it unless you're in an emergency where you have a patient of yours that needs it very very soon. Otherwise just a phone call or two will assuage your fears (DEA or the suboxone help line for doctors).

Trust me, there's things that are worth worrrying about. This is not one of them unless a patient is involved.