Sugammadex now recommended per ASA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope. You still are not supposed to remove the endotracheal tube until the patient meets criteria for extubation. Extubating a weak patient was bad care before suggamadex came out. That is how it will play out.
I believe he is referring to the instance of induction with rocuronium and cannot ventilate and cannot intubate, in which case immediate access to rocuronium is life saving, and placing rocuronium out of the OR is a lawsuit.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe he is referring to the instance of induction with rocuronium and cannot ventilate and cannot intubate, in which case immediate access to rocuronium is life saving, and placing rocuronium out of the OR is a lawsuit.

More plausible. But I still think that that the blame would fall on the practitioner for failing to recognize or manage a difficult airway. If the ASA would update their difficult airway algorithm to mention suggamadex, that would go a long way to always having it immediately available and maybe have the hospital eat part of a bad outcome lawsuit if it wasn’t.

Reactions: 2 users
More plausible. But I still think that that the blame would fall on the practitioner for failing to recognize or manage a difficult airway. If the ASA would update their difficult airway algorithm to mention suggamadex, that would go a long way to always having it immediately available and maybe have the hospital eat part of a bad outcome lawsuit if it wasn’t.
I dont care if the anesthesiologist made a bunch of bad decisions. No previous bad decision can ever excuse the bean counter decision to not having a potential life saving $50 solution readily available.

Members don't see this ad :)
My old co-fellow in fellowship thought they were being clever and gave just neostigmine and no glyco to a patient that had a heart transplant several years prior because the heart was denervated so they couldn’t get bradycardia/asystole. The patient **** themselves on the table. Never got bradycardic though.
My senior colleague used to tell me they did this when the urologist was a douche and to give some underhanded payback they would give neo and watch the glorious karma as the pt was ****ting in their face :1poop:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
My senior colleague used to tell me they did this when the urologist was a douche and to give some underhanded payback they would give neo and watch the glorious karma as the pt was ****ting in their face :1poop:
Damn. I wish I had thought of that a few decades ago.

Sugammadex is recommended from deep, moderate, and shallow levels of neuromuscular blockade that is induced by rocuronium or vecuronium. Neostigmine is a reasonable alternative from minimal blockade (train-of-four ratio in the range of 0.4 to less than 0.9). Patients with adequate spontaneous recovery to train-of-four ratio greater than or equal to 0.9 can be identified with quantitative monitoring, and these patients do not require pharmacological antagonism.
Finding this stuff at work is like finding raiders of the lost ark. Anyway I'll document now in the chart pharmacy refuses to supply appropriate medication per guidelines.

Finding this stuff at work is like finding raiders of the lost ark. Anyway I'll document now in the chart pharmacy refuses to supply appropriate medication per guidelines.
If you really want to stir the pot- send pharmacy an email and that you are prepared to list the director of Pharmacy as the cause of death on the death certificate in the event of a death.

Please explain. So patient has an ETT, is reversed, and then what bites on the tube? Seems more related to poor technique rather than the drug.

The cases happen after extubating actually. This is secondary to large inspiratory forces created by fast reversal while the pharyngeal muscle may not be fully recovered. What I see is that many providers now get away from using a twitch monitor which is still an important tool even with Suggamadex as it dictates dosing and timing. Suggamadex is not a solution to be less vigilant, I have seen CRNAs (and MDs) give it like water without really thinking... ie an hour has passed I will just give it at 2mg/kg.....

Yes indeed, appropriate extubation technique is essential.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. You still are not supposed to remove the endotracheal tube until the patient meets criteria for extubation. Extubating a weak patient was bad care before suggamadex came out. That is how it will play out.

WOW just WOW to the original poster
It absolutely will go away after a single lawsuit….which is coming.

Most of us would GLADLY sit on the stand for the prosecution and say “yes, this lost airway and death could have been 100% avoided had the pharmacy not been stingy and placed the only drug that would help in the cart. It is the hospital’s greed that killed this patient. The anesthesiologist’s hands were tied by administrators. And might I add, MOST hospitals make it immediately available.” Yeah…keeping it outside the OR is a big payout waiting to happen.

In the last 20 years or more in this field, nothing has changed or really advanced, except for two things: suggamadex and video laryngoscopy. To ignore the first is risky.

I mean this just blows my mind as Dr. Rude said if you removed an airway on a weak patient and then blame pharmacy for your stupidity your license will disappear very quickly. No none of us will say on the stand that "I removed the tube to prove that pharmacy is cheap" Cannot make this stuff up

The cases happen after extubating actually. This is secondary to large inspiratory forces created by fast reversal while the pharyngeal muscle may not be fully recovered. What I see is that many providers now get away from using a twitch monitor which is still an important tool even with Suggamadex as it dictates dosing and timing. Suggamadex is not a solution to be less vigilant, I have seen CRNAs (and MDs) give it like water without really thinking... ie an hour has passed I will just give it at 2mg/kg.....

That case report was a case of laryngospasm after extubation, somehow blamed on suggamadex without any supporting evidence or rationale. I’m surprised it got published.

That case report was a case of laryngospasm after extubation, somehow blamed on suggamadex without any supporting evidence or rationale. I’m surprised it got published.

I am giving you examples, there are plenty more with tube in place

Members don't see this ad :)
I am giving you examples, there are plenty more with tube in place
But there is no way to logically explain negative pressure pulmonary edema occurring with a tube in place.

Unless your saying pulmonary edema is occurring from some other mechanism from suga.

But there is no way to logically explain negative pressure pulmonary edema occurring with a tube in place.

Unless your saying pulmonary edema is occurring from some other mechanism from suga.

There is, rapid reversal of paralysis resulting in rapidly increasing respiratory force. I am sure you have seen negative pressure pulmonary edema in large athletes / bodybuilder with tube in place which is the most common scenario.

Not really convinced that the post-extubation laryngospasm was caused by rapid administration of sugammadex. Anyone with adequate/complete neuromuscular blockade reversal could generate enough negative inspiratory force to cause NPPE.

Lots of other possible causes: extubation during “stage 2” (if it exists), secretions/mucous, inadequate deflation of the ETT balloon, poor extubation technique, airway reactivity, etc.

Sugammadex is a good drug, IMO, and probably superior to neo/glyco based on current data. That being said, agreed overall that it’s not an excuse to be less vigilant or critical of its limitations. Same with any other drug.

There is, rapid reversal of paralysis resulting in rapidly increasing respiratory force. I am sure you have seen negative pressure pulmonary edema in large athletes / bodybuilder with tube in place which is the most common scenario.
I have never seen this.

Reactions: 6 users
Not really convinced that the post-extubation laryngospasm was caused by rapid administration of sugammadex. Anyone with adequate/complete neuromuscular blockade reversal could generate enough negative inspiratory force to cause NPPE.

Lots of other possible causes: extubation during “stage 2” (if it exists), secretions/mucous, inadequate deflation of the ETT balloon, poor extubation technique, airway reactivity, etc.

Sugammadex is a good drug, IMO, and probably superior to neo/glyco based on current data. That being said, agreed overall that it’s not an excuse to be less vigilant or critical of its limitations. Same with any other drug.
Amen brother. This is either laryngospasm, airway obstruction from the tongue, or both. Absolutely nothing to do with suggamadex.

can you explain the mechanism with a patent ETT in place? I'm not following.

Reactions: 3 users

Pretty sure it is easier to bring in air from the machine than it is to bring in water from the vasculature

Yes, but this only happens if they are biting on the tube. Negative pressure pulmonary edema results from negative inspiratory efforts made against a non-patent airway. If the airway is patent, it cannot be negative pressure pulmonary edema, full stop. And if the airway is not patent (ie biting the tube), it’s not suggammadex’s fault, it’s the anesthesiologist’s fault for not putting a bite block in.

For the love of god, people, it's S-U-G-A-M-M-A-D-E-X.

Also, it's spelled tuohy

For the love of god, people, it's S-U-G-A-M-M-A-D-E-X.

Also, it's spelled tuohy
96D58BD7-23F3-43F4-83A1-4DDA0C364B3A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, if they bite the tube and occlude it, which is why an appropriate bite block is important in these people.

That has nothing to do with "rapid reversal" and "rapidly increasing respiratory force" and nothing to do with sugammadex.

I thought it was sugardicks

• Love
What I see is that many providers now get away from using a twitch monitor which is still an important tool even with Suggamadex as it dictates dosing and timing. Suggamadex is not a solution to be less vigilant, I have seen CRNAs (and MDs) give it like water without really thinking...

Yes. We all latch onto the recommendation to use sugammadex preferentially but mostly ignore the other recommendation to use quantitative NMB monitoring at the adductor pollicis. Anyone familiar with the Twitchview EMG monitor? It seems more practical than AMG.

Last edited:
Yes. We all latch onto the recommendation to use sugammadex preferentially but mostly ignore the other recommendation to use quantitative NMB monitoring at the adductor pollicis. Anyone familiar with the Twitchview EMG monitor? It seems more practical than AMG.
We have it. Good for tucked arms, no doubt. I've found it at times to be unreliable.

Funny, that's what the CRNA tells me every time I walk in the room and the sats are in the 70's.

(just making a joke, not commenting on you)
My "favorite" memory is a similar situation in GI suite, with the CRNA reassuring me: don't trust the monitor, the patient is fine, look he's moving all over the place. My answer: so do people who are drowning (confirmed sat of 60% with my portable Nonin pulse ox).

• Haha
  • Wow
My "favorite" memory is a similar situation in GI suite, with the CRNA reassuring me: don't trust the monitor, the patient is fine, look he's moving all over the place. My answer: so do people who are drowning (confirmed sat of 60% with my portable Nonin pulse ox).
Why we take on the responsibility of other trained, independent thinking adults is very sad (I was going to type it is shocking…but I guess it isn’t. Greed and laziness in humans is not shocking.)

I am not saying that anyone who supervises is greedy and lazy.

I’m saying that the overall push to want to continue the model comes from a place of greed.

I guess then it does not exist. I have never seen an armadillo but they do exist.

Sugammadex reverses muscle relaxant. It doesn't give the patient super physiologic strength. You establish no mechanism or even a logical rationale for your explanation.

Methinks a patient with NPPE after sugammadex administration is due to the actual mechanism behind NPPE which is breathing against a closed glottis (e.g. larynogspasm) or biting down on the ETT

Edit: pgg beat me to it

I like using the surgeon as my twitch monitor. It’s cheaper than any alternative and doesn’t require batteries.

• Haha
  • Love
I'll say it.

Quantitative twitch monitoring is next to useless. It's a quirky, user-unfriendly solution in search of a problem.

Reactions: 5 users
I think quantitative monitoring would have been great years ago when we were using neo/glyco
Nowadays with sugammadex there isn't really a need.
The real value of quant monitoring is it can tell you when NOT to use suggaammaddexx.

I would think beam counters trying to dictate practice would make sure every station had quant monitoring and enforce use.

interesting thing about livers is that since roc is largely metabolized by the liver, it will lead to prolonged paralysis from your initial bolus until the new one is perfused... which is when you want the paralytic to be eliminated.... works out quite nicely.
Yeah, I always use Roc for livers. New liver will take care of it, and if it doesn’t you’ll be having bigger problems than residual Roc flying around.

I guess then it does not exist. I have never seen an armadillo but they do exist.
I'm not sure you understand the pathophysiology of NPPE. You're going to be hard pressed to find anyone that will agree with you. It's like saying that double-strength espressos contribute to car crashes because a handful of people had those in the car with them at the time of the accident. Rapid reversal of neuromuscular blockade does not contribute to NPPE. The lack of a patent airway does.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not sure you understand the pathophysiology of NPPE. You're going to be hard pressed to find anyone that will agree with you. It's like saying that double-strength espressos contribute to car crashes because a handful of people had those in the car with them at the time of the accident. Rapid reversal of neuromuscular blockade does not contribute to NPPE. The lack of a patent airway does.
Thank you I always wanted to be educated by a millennial couple of years out of residency who thinks a world of himself. Work a bit longer then educate me on the intricacies of airway management.

I'll say it.

Quantitative twitch monitoring is next to useless. It's a quirky, user-unfriendly solution in search of a problem.

Did you guys read any books, or Suggamadex labels? do you not understand the pharmacology of the drug or its dosing? For the especially bright:

You need to measure twitches to dose appropriately aside from the obvious that is from the insert. Underdose and see what happens. If you dose everyone at supramaximal doses... go back to CRNA school

Did you guys read any books, or Suggamadex labels? do you not understand the pharmacology of the drug or its dosing? For the especially bright:

You need to measure twitches to dose appropriately aside from the obvious that is from the insert. Underdose and see what happens. If you dose everyone at supramaximal doses... go back to CRNA school
I don’t recall guidelines specifically for quantitative TOF, just qualitative TOF, no?

I agree with PGG that the quantitative accelerometry it more trouble than it’s worth for routine use. The number of cases with tucked arms alone means that you won’t be able to get a good exam until the drapes are down. Not to mention how few hospitals are willing to buy them and keep track of them.

Bah

You clearly have no idea what causes NPPE if you think it has anything to do with the speed of or dose of reversal agents, as you stated earlier.

We've discussed sugammadex dosing quite a few times here, and we're all well aware of the manufacturer recommendations, and that the studies were done with weight based dosing.

Unless you're grossly overdosing your neuromuscular blocking drugs, and a patient has a twitch or even a posttetanic twitch, a simple unit dose 200 mg vial is Just Fine for 99% of patients. Giving someone 200 mg, even if the manufacturer-recommended 2 mg/kg works out to 157.37 mg, isn't a problem.

You're either overthinking it, or underthinking it. I can't tell which. You're definitely obnoxious about your dogma, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Thank you I always wanted to be educated by a millennial couple of years out of residency who thinks a world of himself. Work a bit longer then educate me on the intricacies of airway management.

The hostility here is astounding. Don't try to appeal to your great experience and knowledge, and don't try to make this an issue of old vs young. This is about right vs wrong. You do realize that your previous explanation was wrong... !!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Yup.

And after using it, I quickly realized that they would love you to crack open that second vial to give a 210mg dose when a 190mg works equally well.

The label isn't always accurate or reflective of appropriate clinical use. After all, we have been using Marcaine for spinals for decades despite the label saying "not for spinal anesthesia"

Reactions: 7 users