Suggestions on how to diversify experience during grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zetavet

Reaction score
Hi friends,

Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place, it's my very first time posting here! I am a 24 y/o female, graduated in May 2019 but have taken some time to build experience. I wanted to post in WAMC even though I'm sure they are pretty poor right now, I am not planning to apply quite yet because I am set on grad school as a GPA booster (I graduated undergrad bio with a 3.08--yikes) My GPA may have boosted slightly as a retook the problem courses and got A's (physics and chem II) andscored an A on biochem taken online at Doane University. Here's the experience I've gathered so far:

1607609985031.png

I guess my question would be more so how I can diversify my experience as well as increase it. I want to be competitive by the time I finish my Neuroscience M.S -- is there any reason why a school may look down on me because I'm more research-based?

Sorry if this was all over the place, and thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

My only real recommendation for diversifying would be getting some large animal (equine or farm animal or both) veterinary experience if possible. However I don't think it's strictly necessary based on your other experiences. I don't think any school will look down on you for research experience. You have a lot of it and if research or something related t that realm is your goal, that will look really good for you.

My only real recommendation for diversifying would be getting some large animal (equine or farm animal or both) veterinary experience if possible. However I don't think it's strictly necessary based on your other experiences. I don't think any school will look down on you for research experience. You have a lot of it and if research or something related t that realm is your goal, that will look really good for you.
Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, I noticed that’s my really weak point and was worried it may be a deal breaker for a lot of schools. My grad school of interest has an equestrian club that I really think would be great for experience. I’d planned to specialize in Neuro after vet, so hopefully my research helps :) thanks again!