Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostin_space

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi pain peeps,

I'm having difficulty finding research options at my program. I've asked the chiefs and they are not sure either, although it seems that some attendings and other residents, a couple in the under class, are doing projects.

Where else can I find opportunities for research? I would like to start getting involved now before PGY3.
Is there any database of studies, or should I try to look for people outside my institution? Any big pain names that I can reach out?

I also have some projects that were previously done in med school and previously residency. Are those worth anything or are they pretty much garbage?

Members don't see this ad.

funding research is sort of like ... the movie Chinatown! just follow the money.

funding research is sort of like ... the movie Chinatown! just follow the money.

I'm not sure what that means. Any specifics that could lead to publications and what not would be helpful. I'm not interested in a decade long study.

Members don't see this ad :)
research is an industry. without money it does not exist. it is hard to get funding, if you are honest and inexperienced. there are a lot of people competing for that research dollar.

research is an industry. without money it does not exist. it is hard to get funding, if you are honest and inexperienced. there are a lot of people competing for that research dollar.

I don't want "research dollar" I am a resident hoping to find some research opportunities to publish that is all. have no interest in being a researcher.

what projects did you do in your previous residency?

Nothing pain related. Did a very unique report on a case that was accepted for presentation, did another study during med school re: dissecting aneurysms, etc. Again nothing pain related. I would be interested in doing some pain specific research to have as strong an app as possible. I think in general the rest of my app is quite strong, and I have a number of unique characteristics/background that would make me unique but definitely would like like I said pain stuff. I fear that some residents in my program who are also interested in pain may not be as helpful as they could because they see me as a threat. Anywho I am just starting on this and feel a little lost as to how to find projects that would be interesting.

Any ideas?

Nothing pain related. Did a very unique report on a case that was accepted for presentation, did some imaging work in Radiology, did another study during med school re: dissecting aneurysms, etc. Again nothing pain related. I would be interested in doing some pain specific research to have as strong an app as possible. I think in general the rest of my app is quite strong, and I have a number of unique characteristics/background that would make me unique but definitely would like like I said pain stuff. I fear that some residents in my program who are also interested in pain may not be as helpful as they could because they see me as a threat. Anywho I am just starting on this and feel a little lost as to how to find projects that would be interesting.

Any ideas?

your post is confusing to me . if you want to do research, and do not want money to fund it, then just do it.
you first come up with an idea, then run it by the IRB and the statistics people (hopefully you know some who work for free) then do the study.
Statistician Salaries in Los Angeles, CA
Job Title Salary Location
UCLA Statistician $63,182 Los Angeles, CA Area
University of Southern California Statistician $63,456 Los Angeles, CA Area
Kelley Blue Book Statistician $84,739 Los Angeles, CA Area
National Childhood Cancer Foundation Statistician $65,021 Los Angeles

your post is confusing to me . if you want to do research, and do not want money to fund it, then just do it.
you first come up with an idea, then run it by the IRB and the statistics people (hopefully you know some who work for free) then do the study.
Statistician Salaries in Los Angeles, CA
Job Title Salary Location
UCLA Statistician $63,182 Los Angeles, CA Area
University of Southern California Statistician $63,456 Los Angeles, CA Area
Kelley Blue Book Statistician $84,739 Los Angeles, CA Area
National Childhood Cancer Foundation Statistician $65,021 Los Angeles

What are you talking about? I'm a resident, I'm interested in finding a project/attending/etc who's conducting some research who may need residents to help him/her in conducting such said research, in order for me to obtain a few publications by the time I apply for fellowship. I'm not sure wha'ts unclear? You are making it out like I'm asking such a confusion, irrational question.

some of the attendings are probably looking for (future) research fellows . look up your attendings in the literature, see who is doing work that interests you , then read up on all of it, then start asking said attendings very intelligent and (possibly) flattering questions (careful on this - too much could be a problem) about their work. see if they need any help :)

Research if homosexuals have different pain types and frequencies than the general population. Could be done and published in a year or two. Will be sure to get you noticed too.

Research if homosexuals have different pain types and frequencies than the general population. Could be done and published in a year or two. Will be sure to get you noticed too.

Not sure what your deal is.

This thread is all over the map.

It is. I don't know what is up with the one guy continuing to talk about research on "homosexuals" and the other one who does not know what research means.

Consider changing your name to... Never mind it's perfect.

Regarding my suggestion: It was not meant to be a joke or poke fun at you. I am frequently surprised by how many homosexual patients I have. One guy, I had no idea until after I implanted a spinal cord stimulator and went to talk to his family: His husband. I'm not judgmental, I couldn't care less. Fact of the matter is that I think the social stigma of being homosexual creates mental anguish and poor coping skills which sets the brain up for certain types of chronic pain.

Make sense now?

If you're looking for attendings doing research or research projects and your program isn't doing any I would contact the top 5 closest pain programs and see if they are doing research. If so, ask if you can be a part of it - multicenter study. If you're not geographically restricted then contact 10-15 university programs and see what research they are doing. I doubt you'll find much in pp. Although I know a pain guy in Charleston who is doing a ton of research

Consider changing your name to... Never mind it's perfect.

Regarding my suggestion: It was not meant to be a joke or poke fun at you. I am frequently surprised by how many homosexual patients I have. One guy, I had no idea until after I implanted a spinal cord stimulator and went to talk to his family: His husband. I'm not judgmental, I couldn't care less. Fact of the matter is that I think the social stigma of being homosexual creates mental anguish and poor coping skills which sets the brain up for certain types of chronic pain.

Make sense now?
Alrighty....then

Hi pain peeps,

I'm having difficulty finding research options at my program. I've asked the chiefs and they are not sure either, although it seems that some attendings and other residents, a couple in the under class, are doing projects.

Where else can I find opportunities for research? I would like to start getting involved now before PGY3.
Is there any database of studies, or should I try to look for people outside my institution? Any big pain names that I can reach out?

I also have some projects that were previously done in med school and previously residency. Are those worth anything or are they pretty much garbage?

I was in the same boat as you when I was a resident and I published quite a bit including a book chapter. I went to Hopkins so it might be different where you are but I don't think it will be. Fortunately, pain overlaps with many specialties so I went to different departments and connected with some of them. I found one through an internal medicine grand rounds where rheum was presenting their on-going research. After the presentation I begged and pleaded for the research team to let me on board.

I also emailed different department heads and found a few projects that way. I essentially told them that I would do whatever scut work was necessary. One project required me to shovel though so much data I wanted to rip my hair out of me head but it at least got my foot in the door. Knowing Excel back and forth was priceless for this so be sure to emphasize this if it's a strong point for you. Once you find who the big researchers at your institution are you should be able to publish to your heart's content. Some guys out there publish dozens of articles per year. Just remember to tell them that you're willing to do whatever work necessary. Of course, make sure you're actually willing to do this work. The earlier you get the started the better as the IRB can take months or years for even the most basic of studies.