sulfur & oxygen...paramagnetic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneManShow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
since they are both under the ns2np4 column, arent they both paramagnetic since they have 2 unpaired electrons? according to kaplan however, they are diamagnetic...
can someone explain why?

ty

Members don't see this ad.

since they are both under the ns2np4 column, arent they both paramagnetic since they have 2 unpaired electrons? according to kaplan however, they are diamagnetic...
can someone explain why?

ty

In their ground stand, Oxygen and Sulfur are both considered paramagnetic elements because they both have 2 unpaired electrons.

Looking at the electron configuration of each:
Oxygen: 1s2 2s2 2p4

Looking more closely at the last subshell for Oxygen (p-orbitals):
Px has 2 electrons
Py has 1 electron
Pz has 1 electron

These last two (unpaired) orbitals could allow Oxygen to be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field.

Sulfur: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

Looking more closely at the last subshell for Sulfur (p-orbitals):
Px has 2 electrons
Py has 1 electron
Pz has 1 electron

Therefore, Sulfur too could be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field.

However, this is only the case when Oxygen and Sulfur are in their ground state. It's possible the question you're referencing is refering to an anionic form of Oxygen or Sulfur. In this case, Oxygen or Sulfur could potentially be diamagnetic.

However, this is only the case when Oxygen and Sulfur are in their ground state. It's possible the question you're referencing is refering to an anionic form of Oxygen or Sulfur. In this case, Oxygen or Sulfur could potentially be diamagnetic.

This has to be the case.. either that, or Kaplan messed up.

Members don't see this ad :)
To add on. Is it because there isn't a full transfer of electrons so technically they both don't have a full 2p6? Para = deflection or attraction by magnetic field?

Orbital diagrams for diatomic species can be a little confusing and don't usually come into play for the MCAT, but for molecular O2:

molecu4.jpg
and O:
molecu8.jpg

You can see, there are still unpaired electrons in O2 which will orient themselves in a magnetic field and therefore are paramagnetic.

People seem to think there is a difference between the magnetism of liquid O2 and gaseous O2 because you can only observe the magnetic properties of liquid O2. Gaseous O2 is moving so fast that it is not affected by magnets, but the paramagnetism is still there.

I got the figures here:
http://www.mpcfaculty.net/mark_bishop/molecular_orbital_theory.htm
which goes into heavy detail about orbital diagrams and orbital interactions for diatomic species if you are interested.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but stumbled upon this very question while studying. Google led me here.
Soooo. Is the conclusion that Kaplan messed up?
They're claiming sulfur is diamagnetic and I couldn't bring myself to understand that conclusion.